PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Spyder RT won't start

KosherKid
10-18-2016, 07:26 AM
I have a 2011 Spyder RT-AC. I'm planning on possibly parting with the bike for a new one so I reinstalled the analog gauges, fuel on left and temp on right. I get a fuel reading cold so I know they work again.

Now the Spyder will not start. It tries but will not catch. I have lights, a charged battery, the kill switch is off, and the only lights on the dash after pressing the mode and parking buttons are neutral, and the oil. Everything else looks normal but it won't start. No orange screens. I even tried both keys but no joy.

I re-disconnected the analog gauges and that changed nothing so I reconnected them again. I'll check fuses tonight after work but is there anything else I should be looking at??

Thank you for any help.

Dave

Bob Denman
10-18-2016, 07:44 AM
Is this the original battery that came with the bike?

"It tries but will not catch. "
What exactly; does this mean?
Is the engine NOT turning over, when the starter is engaged? :dontknow:

KosherKid
10-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reply.

It is not the original battery, the one was replaced last year with this new one. There is a full charge on the battery, no clicking sound or anything that means a low or dead battery. It cranks quite well just no start.

You press the starter button and it tries to start but never does. It sounds like it is gets close but no joy. It's similar to when you try to start your bike after a long winter. It just cranks and cranks, etc. Maybe it's not getting enough gas but it worked up to a few days ago just before I reinstalled the gauges. I didn't ride it or start it since then. Coincidences?

I will check fuses tonight, is there a fuel pump fuse or ignition fuse?

Thank again.
Dave

Bike-O-Din
10-18-2016, 08:58 AM
While moving the panel out to reconnect the gauges, did you maybe hit the kill switch. It is easily overlooked... you can imagine how I know.

Bob Denman
10-18-2016, 09:05 AM
If it was the kill switch, the bike wouldn't even turn over...

KosherKid
10-18-2016, 09:16 AM
Checked the KILL switch multiple times. If it's ON, nothing happens. If it's OFF, starter cranks trying to start it but no joy. I'm at a loss.

GOZFST
10-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Hold the throttle wide open while you try to start it.

Bob Denman
10-18-2016, 10:56 AM
This is a good one to try... :agree:
If the bike got flooded during the start-up attempts: holding the throttle wide open while cranking it, should clean it out... :thumbup:

KosherKid
10-18-2016, 12:03 PM
I'll try the open throttle tonight but when I tried to start it this morning, I didn't even touch the throttle, just the starter button.

Thanks again.
Dave

Bob Denman
10-18-2016, 01:36 PM
You only need three things, for it to fire up:
A Spark
Some fuel
And it all has to happen at the right time...

Re-installing those gauges would not impact on any of those three items, one bit.
There has to be something else going on here... :dontknow:

Chupaca
10-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Try the throttle wide open. If it got flooded the spark plugs get wet and will not fire up till they are dry. When you start these machines the computer fuels the to start so they may stay wet. Hold the throttle wide open and crank for about 15 seconds. This will help dry out the cylinders. Then re try normal starting. you may have to do it a couple of time...

GOZFST
10-18-2016, 01:52 PM
If the WFO throttle doesn't work start with the basics. Are you sure it has plenty of good fresh gas? When was the last time it was run? Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? Check to make sure no rodents have taken up residence in the air cleaner. If all else fails give it a shot of starting fluid.

jerpinoy
10-18-2016, 04:18 PM
It never fails, anything you mess with the stuff the worst it gets. Like you said it won't start after you mess with it, there must be something happened that you didn't know that will cause this. I learned my lessons so many times but !!!!!!!!!!!!. Good luck.

samewok
10-18-2016, 04:49 PM
If you moved the throttle will working sometimes it will not start.
the full open will reset it.

youngers
10-18-2016, 07:08 PM
so I reinstalled the analog gauges, fuel on left and temp on right. I get a fuel reading cold so I know they work again.
---------- > I am wondering , { I do a lot here on the forums :p } you put the fuel gauge on left side , temp on right ! now on my screen the one with speed and other things screen , the fuel display is on the right side , and temperature is on left { having these gauges opposite side , have something too do with electronic thinking , the computer , thinks the gas gauge is the temp gauge and it reads hot engine ? and the temp guage is where fuel should be and computer thinks it is out of gas ? just a thought

KosherKid
10-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Thank you all for your input.

The gauges shouldn't have affected starting, gauges went back in the same holes as they came out. They work again as intended.

The flooded fix seemed to have worked. Cranked it with the throttle open for 10-15 seconds, let go and tried again and it almost caught. All's well on the second try and it runs like a champ again.

Thanks again.

Bob Denman
10-20-2016, 09:41 AM
:congrats: :yes::yes::yes::yes: :2thumbs:

murphybrown
10-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Thank you all for your input.

The gauges shouldn't have affected starting, gauges went back in the same holes as they came out. They work again as intended.

The flooded fix seemed to have worked. Cranked it with the throttle open for 10-15 seconds, let go and tried again and it almost caught. All's well on the second try and it runs like a champ again.

Thanks again.

Yep Yep "they" score another BULLSEYE....just gotta luv 'em...:yes::clap::bowdown: