PDA

View Full Version : TRAILER QUESTION - Harbor Freight

trikerbiker645
10-17-2016, 10:18 PM
I've read pages and pages about pull behind motorcycle trailers and the pro's / cons of this one or that one and all the other BS that went with it I'm not interested in any feedback on any of that. My question is for you people that have bought a Harbor Freight trailer and say you used the 20 & 25 % coupons to lower the price even more....HOW ?. We have 2 stores in our city and neither will let you use them for trailers and it say's it right on the coupon's that trailers plus other things not included. I tried it anyway and after the clerk scanned the coupon it even came up on the screen that it wasn't an eligible product. Did they change something? safe riding!:dontknow:

lou49
10-17-2016, 10:26 PM
I've read pages and pages about pull behind motorcycle trailers and the pro's / cons of this one or that one. I'm not interested in any feedback on any of that. My question is for you people that have bought a Harbor Freight trailer and say you used the 20 & 25 % coupons to lower the price even more....HOW ?. We have 2 stores in our city and neither will let you use them for trailers and it say's it right on the coupon's that trailers plus other things not included. I tried it anyway and after the clerk scanned the coupon it even came up on the screen that it wasn't an eligible product. Did they change something? safe riding!:dontknow:

If that was allowed I would have gotten a jack for my spyder a long time ago! They have one that I really like, but no such luck with me either! Pretty sure they all have the same policy!

pitzerwm
10-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Other than a mild irritation, it's cheap enough to get it and modify it and enjoy it. You could wait and hope that it's on sale sometime in the near future.

trikerbiker645
10-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Pitzerwm, My quote"I've read pages and pages about pull behind motorcycle trailers and the pro's / cons of this one or that one and all the other BS that went with it I'm not interested in any feedback on any of that." So to you I say it's not that I couldn't buy it but if there's a way to use the discount coupons why not find out how?....that would be 20-25% toward the mods. You answered nothing but you did add to your post count i guess. Reread my original post please. Safe riding!

WA5VHU
10-18-2016, 12:14 PM
I think the 20% or 25% off coupon not usable for their trailers is something they recently changed. When I bought mine a year or two ago I flashed the coupon and she said "let's try it" and it worked, she shrugged her shoulders and carried on. I didn't look at the coupon to see what the restrictions were.

trikerbiker645
10-18-2016, 03:50 PM
WA5VHU (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?16466-WA5VHU) , Did you extend your tongue? Looks like it from your picture......safe riding!

WA5VHU
10-19-2016, 12:54 AM
WA5VHU (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?16466-WA5VHU) , Did you extend your tongue? Looks like it from your picture......safe riding!

Yes, a little bit too far I think. I carry a Honda EU1000i generator on the tongue in the silver box and I wanted to make the hitch weight lighter so I replaced the tongue bar with a longer one. It is a bear to back up, lots of steering input does almost nothing, just the opposite of the shorter bar that caused the trailer to want to jackknife with any steering. If I towed it more often I would shorten it some.

WA5VHU
10-19-2016, 01:05 AM

Also, if you haven't searched around, the most common immediate modifications to the Tag-Along is to replace the incandescent lights with LED lights (I used the HF kit), get rid of all the squeeze/crimp wiring connections by soldering and sealing/taping the connections and run a separate ground wire to every light.

A search will turn up many more mods.

And don't believe all the naysayers that claim the 8" tires will cause the destruction of this planet. Turns out none of those "experts" ever towed a Harbor Freight Tag-Along with 8" tires so in reality they don't know what they are talking about. Don't get me started...

machead
10-19-2016, 11:24 AM
I use to have one of the Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long trailers. Used it when I had a Gold Wing. When I got the Spyder, I didn't like the looks of the factory hitch, so we sold the trailer to some friends.

I have another friend who liked it some much that he bought one and did the same mods I did.

Things I did to the trailer before I ever used it:

1. Clean out the grease from the wheel bearing and put in the some good stuff. From the factory the bearings have a very light grease in them and they are never full. I have heard from some that there was no grease at all in the bearing. Be careful when doing this that you don't damage the bearings. They are an odd size and not easily found locally (at least for me there were none around). I had to order some from the net.

2. I replaced the bolts that attach the storage bin part to the actual trailer part. For this I used long eye bolts with the eye being inside the storage area. I attached a web bungie to the eye bolts and it works great to keep things held down inside.

3. Bolted on a spare tire and carrier (both from Harbor Freight) onto the tongue.

If I ever get a hitch for the Spyder, I will definitely get another Tag-A-Long.

Haze
10-19-2016, 11:46 AM
I have 2 HF coupons in my pocket. Exiry date 10/31/2016 and 2/9/2017
Both list no trailers or carts and a whole raft of excluded automotive products.
Darn...:(

finless
10-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Bought mine used but never used on Criags List. $150!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139111&d=1476916772

trikerbiker645
10-19-2016, 06:45 PM
Well it appears the coupon's are done with so that answers my questions. Good score Finless on your buy!.. I did find a guy that wants to sell his used HB trailer- new this year with only about 1000 miles on it. But he wants $400 with no mods done to it. I told him I could get a new one in the box for $357.00 any time.....told me to go get one..:D...maybe in the spring.
I made a nice hitch cargo box similar to the NHR one Jt is designing but even with keeping the weight limit to less than 40 lbs I think I might be getting a lot more bounce and stress and rebound on the swingarm than I would with a trailer with the same tongue weight and the load being back in a trailer with springs to absorb some of the bounce. Maybe not. But that's why I'm considering a cheaper trailer for the 2 -3 times a year I might use it. safe riding!

Deer Slayer
10-19-2016, 08:30 PM
I've read pages and pages about pull behind motorcycle trailers and the pro's / cons of this one or that one and all the other BS that went with it I'm not interested in any feedback on any of that. My question is for you people that have bought a Harbor Freight trailer and say you used the 20 & 25 % coupons to lower the price even more....HOW ?. We have 2 stores in our city and neither will let you use them for trailers and it say's it right on the coupon's that trailers plus other things not included. I tried it anyway and after the clerk scanned the coupon it even came up on the screen that it wasn't an eligible product. Did they change something? safe riding!:dontknow:
Bloody fine print strikes again!:banghead:

3 WINGS
12-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Has anyone tried pulling a pop-up camper (see http://aspenqualitytrailers.com/?id=47) ?

Are there any special challenges with towing?

easysuper
12-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Has anyone tried pulling a pop-up camper (see http://aspenqualitytrailers.com/?id=47) ?

I have pulled a pop up tent trailer, (Free Spirit) Aspen knock off at least 30K miles with no problem,
First with a 998 then the 1330 not much difference except mileage. I also had a HF tag behind but sold it as we were just not using it as we had 3 trailer counting the dog trailer so one had to go.
140887 140888 140889 140890

WA5VHU
12-03-2016, 12:17 AM

Yepper!

Our Combi-Camp. We now have a Roll-A-Home, towed it with the car, haven't towed it with a Spyder yet. The only special challenge I have encountered is making myself go back home!

Go over to http://www.motocampers.com/ to see much more about both bike and trike motorcycles towing trailers.

meljr
12-03-2016, 05:41 AM
I had a "piggy back" trailer, it's a step up from harbor freight trailer. It cost more, but it came with spare tire, and cooler rack. When it needed tires, they sent me the tires, with the wheel bearings. I pulled this trailer many miles, with my spyder, and even my car. That trailer was great, you wouldn't even know it was back there. I love camping, and it served me well. Wish I could get a hitch for my f3. That's another story..🤐
Barb

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk