PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about

Cavman
10-17-2016, 01:19 PM
http://m.wimp.com/this-guy-just-sued-the-school-system/

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
10-17-2016, 01:33 PM
yes that same classroom is the one that made it possible for the phone, car & video we just watched.

Bob Denman
10-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Six minutes wasted... :banghead:
The guy is as full of crap as a Thanksgiving Turkey! nojoke

garb55
10-17-2016, 10:26 PM
I believe that the school system needs to change
We have teenagers dropping out of school every day because they are not interested in what is being taught
Then they end up on government money for support
We should take these same kids and teach them a trade they are interested in so that they can become a productive member of our society instead of a drain on on the tax money
We can't win them all but I bet we can win a lot of them
It's a start

ARtraveler
10-18-2016, 12:28 PM
No tests, no grades? Next time I have a surgical procedure, I sure don't want it performed by someone that "passed" one of those classes.

I have been teaching college level accounting over the past 20 years. It has been noticeable to me, the level of education that the students come to college with. Many cannot read the material with understanding, many cannot do the simple mathematics that are needed to solve easy problems. The quality of education has diminished in that time period.

When they tell me to pass everyone regardless, I am going to retire for good. I taught for a semester at one of those "business" colleges. Half of the class got F's. I was not asked to come back. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: And no, it was not me--this time. In my other classes, 20% usually end up with A's--which they earned the hard way. And sadly, 10% usually end up with a F. I do not grade on a curve. What you earn, is what you get. Some come back and get it right the second or third time. It just depends on how bad they want that Accounting degree.

I will not send a student out to practice a technical subject for the public unless they have the knowledge to back it up.

Bob Denman
10-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Thank you, for giving them the grades that they've earned: NOT the grades that they want! :clap:

wyliec
10-18-2016, 05:31 PM
I believe that the school system needs to change
We have teenagers dropping out of school every day because they are not interested in what is being taught
Then they end up on government money for support
We should take these same kids and teach them a trade they are interested in so that they can become a productive member of our society instead of a drain on on the tax money
We can't win them all but I bet we can win a lot of them
It's a start

In NYS, they have what is called BOCES for learning a trade while in high school. The students still have to complete core courses dealing with reading, writing, math, health, and whatever else is considered a core course these days. While I was in junior high and high school, the course for reading (English) for example was not the same for all those in the same grade; you had regents (the hardest) and non-regents (easier) at the high school level. In Junior High the classes attended were A1-A6; A1 being the hardest. Of course, somewhere along the line, it was not politically correct for labeling. So, now we are a P.C. society, and parents now complain about their children's education. Go figure.

wyliec
10-18-2016, 05:39 PM
I do not grade on a curve. What you earn, is what you get. Some come back and get it right the second or third time. It just depends on how bad they want that Accounting degree.

This is funny. After retiring the first time, I went to a local community college, and in one of the courses I was in, the professor marked on a curve. That did't turn out so well b/c I kept screwing up the curve. During the final, the prettiest girl I ever saw sat next to me. She was on the verge of failing, and somehow she passed the final, and the course.

BajaRon
10-18-2016, 06:08 PM
A lot of holes you could drive a truck through in this guys diatribe. You notice no opportunity for rebuttal. The greatest innovation and progress this earth has ever seen came from behind those desks in neat rows.

I agree that schools need to change. They used to compete for students. Now they get their quota whether they teach them anything or not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/12/1912-eighth-grade-exam_n_3744163.html

TicketBait
10-18-2016, 11:30 PM
So hopeless on this forum, you watch an uplifting video to inspire change and everyone here damnsit, and says this is not the way. The Can- am Spyder which you ride is born out of thinking outside the box. Many want to call it a motorcycle with 3 wheels. The Manufacture wants to create a new language, calling the spyder a roadster, so many here can not handle the semantical change that they are against the transformation of change. ( that's ok, a hundred years from now it will be discussed about how backward the thinking was in the early years of Spyderlovers.) Heck BRP was not or maybe even isn't still now a money maker. But look how much joy it has brought all of us. Keep an open mind, dialogue different from what you were brought up on, cuz thats where we are now. Forward thinking requires risk and awareness of what could be possible.

jmo

The school system does need to change...........................unfortunately most likely won't happen within the current system. Oh well,
blah blah blah:(

Thanks for posting this inspiring video Cavman:thumbup:

ARtraveler
10-19-2016, 03:26 PM
The school system does need to change...........................unfortunately most likely won't happen within the current system. Oh well,
blah blah blah:(

Thanks for posting this inspiring video Cavman:thumbup:

The education discussion is very difficult to come up with a good answer.

I know of a person who graduated from one of those heavily advertised internet "Universities." He came away with a Masters degree in Accounting. Unfortunately, the academics were not well learned. He got a job with a large non-profit as one of the Accounting Managers. Turned out he did not know a debit from a credit and it went downhill from there. My ex, the Executive Director, let him go in less than a month. So much for the Masters degree. Self learning--IMO--does not work on some subjects. Law, Medical & Engineering also come to mind here.

MOSESS
10-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Very good video ,I wish more people would think out the box,