PDA

View Full Version : Question on Corbin Ovalbac Backrest, #02-SB

jodeg1945
04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Need some help from someone who owns the Corbin Ovalbac Backrest, Model 02-SB.

I am thinking about getting this backrest for my Corbin seat. It may have to be modified (my husband modifies everything! ;))

Could someone who owns this seat tell me if the backrest itself, the padded part, can be removed from the metal bar that goes down into the hole in the seat? From the pictures on Corbin's website, it looks like it can be removed, but we'd like a little more assurance from someone who actually has one.

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbup:

zzneonzz
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Need some help from someone who owns the Corbin Ovalbac Backrest, Model 02-SB.

I am thinking about getting this backrest for my Corbin seat. It may have to be modified (my husband modifies everything! ;))

Could someone who owns this seat tell me if the backrest itself, the padded part, can be removed from the metal bar that goes down into the hole in the seat? From the pictures on Corbin's website, it looks like it can be removed, but we'd like a little more assurance from someone who actually has one.

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbup:

I'm not sure i'll look when i get home though if no one has responded. I believe it can be removed but not 100% sure.

jodeg1945
04-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks! I appreciate it! We're retired -- forget some of you still have to W-O-R-K!!!

jodeg1945
04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
ZZNEONZZ - Were you able to check your backrest to see if the padded part is removeable?

I appreciate your help!

zzneonzz
04-03-2009, 09:29 PM
ZZNEONZZ - Were you able to check your backrest to see if the padded part is removeable?

I appreciate your help!

Sorry I forgot to look when i got home from work but just went out to check. I can't see how it comes off the rod but there are 2 screws on the back of the padded area. I would think that under that plate is were the hardware is to mount the backrest to the rod.

Hope this helps.

jodeg1945
04-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks! I saw those 2 screws in the picture on the website and figure there must be something under there that holds the whole thing together.

My husband says he'll "modify" it somehow if I need the backrest further forward. He figures it out -- I just enjoy the results! ;)

Thanks for checking!

zzneonzz
04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks! I saw those 2 screws in the picture on the website and figure there must be something under there that holds the whole thing together.

My husband says he'll "modify" it somehow if I need the backrest further forward. He figures it out -- I just enjoy the results! ;)

Thanks for checking!

If you need it further forward after you try it out Corbin will modify it for you if needed.

jodeg1945
04-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks! We got in a longer ride today and the seat is WONDERFUL!!!!

We're not sure the backrest will need to be a little more forward or not. I sit right up against the rise with the Corbin seat, so the backrest might be fine as is. On the stock seat, I was about 2-3 INCHES away from the rise! My husband was just thinking ahead, in case I lean forward enough that I don't hit the backrest.

Thanks again for your help!

ataDude
04-04-2009, 09:48 PM
FWIW... I found that the oval backrest with the empty center was not comfortable. I wound up using one of my older, solid-type Corbin backrests from my prior-bike collection.

Those typically are available used on eBay for about $100 if you need choices. Any Corbin backrest, regardless of the bike it's from, will fit.. they all utilize a lightly ground, 5/8" square bar for insertion into a seat.

Thanks! We got in a longer ride today and the seat is WONDERFUL!!!!

We're not sure the backrest will need to be a little more forward or not. I sit right up against the rise with the Corbin seat, so the backrest might be fine as is. On the stock seat, I was about 2-3 INCHES away from the rise! My husband was just thinking ahead, in case I lean forward enough that I don't hit the backrest.

Thanks again for your help!

jodeg1945
04-05-2009, 10:12 AM
ataDude:

Those typically are available used on eBay for about $100 if you
need choices. Any Corbin backrest, regardless of the bike it's from,
will fit.. they all utilize a lightly ground, 5/8" square bar for insertion
into a seat.

Thanks so much for the information! I will check eBay! I didn't know that any Corbin backrest will fit any of their seats -- great to know!

I also wondered about that empty center. Will probably look for a solid backrest instead.

Thanks again!
:2thumbs:

ataDude
04-05-2009, 10:24 AM
You're more than w-elcome (sorry about the dash but the word converts to a smiley without it).

I am currently using a large oval (solid) from my Valkyrie but also have available a smaller one from a "Gunfighter/Streetfighter" seat. The smaller one is more for style than function but I don't think they make those anymore... it's now a collector's item.

ataDude:

Those typically are available used on eBay for about $100 if you
need choices. Any Corbin backrest, regardless of the bike it's from,
will fit.. they all utilize a lightly ground, 5/8" square bar for insertion
into a seat.

Thanks so much for the information! I will check eBay! I didn't know that any Corbin backrest will fit any of their seats -- great to know!

I also wondered about that empty center. Will probably look for a solid backrest instead.

Thanks again!

jodeg1945
04-05-2009, 10:48 AM
adaDude -

Thanks again! I just bought a new backrest (Corbin look-alike) on eBay for $96 including the shipping! :clap: The auction said it'll fit any Corbin seat with a 5/8" rod. It may not be a "real" Corbin, but for the HUGE difference in price and for my purposes, it's PERFECT!

(Plus, the seller refunds purchase price and shipping if returned within 14 days-not bad!)

I appreciate your help -- I thought that only the Corbin backrest for the Spyder would fit the Corbin seat for the Spyder! Plus, I use eBay all the time and didn't even think about looking there!

You earned some POINTS today!!!

ataDude
04-05-2009, 11:28 AM
You earned some POINTS today!!!

Can those points be converted to mods? :D

jodeg1945
04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Don't we ALL wish that!!! These points are more along the lines of GOOD THOUGHTS AND THANKS heading your way! :hun: Now actual money for mods is harder to come by! (Oh my aching PORTFOLIO!!!) :dontknow:

Thanks again!

bjt
04-05-2009, 04:28 PM
You're more than w-elcome (sorry about the dash but the word converts to a smiley without it).

Or capitalize the W ---- Welcome. :thumbup:

ataDude
04-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Or capitalize the W ---- Welcome. :thumbup:

Let's see if it works:

You're Welcome... You're Welcome... You're Welcome... You're Welcome...

It works! Still looks wrong, though. Thanks, bjt. :yikes: