PDA

View Full Version : Which Snyder to buy?

ultrastryk
10-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Which Spyder to buy?
I am in the process of selling my 2010 Harley Street Glide and thinking of trying a Spyder. I've had 4 Harley's and just want to try something different. My wife tends to doze off on longer rides(which could be dangerous) and I am tired of the high wind noise and heat of an air-cooled motor in the summer.

My question is which one to buy. I like the sporty look of the GS and F models, but want a radio and comfortable ride. Is the ST the best compromise? We will mostly be doing short 2-3 hour rides, but would like to do more overnight trips, so we will need some storage, but not a lot. I like the idea of saddle bags that can be removed for shorter trips.

I always buy used, because I don't like taking the loss on a new bike. My budget is probably mid-upper teens.

Thanks

ARtraveler
10-16-2016, 12:43 PM
:welcome: It will take some looking on your part. Your statement about wife taking naps on rides kind of points to the RT--which has a rear seat back mounted on the trunk. Price range could be an issue though. The ST mentioned has now been discontinued. They may be a bit scarce and you would need a back rest set up there.

Test drives are recommended to see if the :spyder2: is going to be a good match for you.

Let us know what you do.

Highwayman2013
10-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Check these guys out many used spyders to choose from. https://www.wengers.com/wholegoods/motorcycle/motorcycles?wom_moto_make=2023

ultrastryk
10-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure I want to make it too comfortable for my wife, as I would prefer she stay awake :). My Harley had a regular backrest, not the full blown tourpak.

robmorg
10-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Your original post sounds like you are a candidate for either an RT or an F3T (The "T" stand for "touring".) Suggest you test ride BOTH, with your wife, at the nearest Spyder dealer. (It may be hard to find a used F3T, though, as they are fairly new.)

RudyB
10-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Check these guys out many used spyders to choose from. https://www.wengers.com/wholegoods/motorcycle/motorcycles?wom_moto_make=2023

Yes all overpriced they had 2 2014,s theiroverpriced by 4to 5 thousand I would not pay more then 16500 to 17000 us for a 2014 RT just one mans opinion[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RudyB
10-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Yes all overpriced they had 2 2014,s theiroverpriced by 4to 5 thousand I would not pay more then 16500 to 17000 us for a 2014 RT just one mans opinion[emoji4]

Check out kijiji in Canada save thousands buying here because of the dollar difference

Hollywood168
10-16-2016, 04:33 PM
If you are looking for a used STS SE-5, I just listed mine in the Spyderlovers Classified Section. I would like to sale it before it gets cold. I purchased it new in 2015 and have priced it at $10,000 off the original sticker. With only 7,500 miles it has a few upgrades and needs absolutely nothing and is under warranty until next spring. If you are interested my contact information is at the bottom of my post in the classifieds. Good luck in whatever direction you go.....

Bob Denman
10-16-2016, 04:47 PM
Your original post sounds like you are a candidate for either an RT or an F3T (The "T" stand for "touring".) Suggest you test ride BOTH, with your wife, at the nearest Spyder dealer. (It may be hard to find a used F3T, though, as they are fairly new.)

:agree: The RT packs more comfort, and the F3-T packs more attitude... :welcome:

baileydale
10-16-2016, 05:03 PM
If you are looking for a used STS SE-5, I just listed mine in the Spyderlovers Classified Section. I would like to sale it before it gets cold. I purchased it new in 2015 and have priced it at $10,000 off the original sticker. With only 7,500 miles it has a few upgrades and needs absolutely nothing and is under warranty until next spring. If you are interested my contact information is at the bottom of my post in the classifieds. Good luck in whatever direction you go.....

Just looked at this in the for sale section. A very nice looking st with some nice upgrades at a great price. Add some bags and you have exactly what you're looking for again at a great price. The F3T is a totally different bike and you may like the ergonomics better but maybe not. My wife likes her ST better than my F3 and I am just the opposite. Good luck whatever you decide

AeroPilot
10-16-2016, 05:41 PM
RT gives you the 6 speed, lower rpm triple that should bridge the gap from your lower rpm Street Glide. I sold my 07 Road King and loved the 6 speed and torque, and while I rode a 2011 RT with the high revving 998 and 5 speed manual, I am much happier after trading it for a 15 base RT with the SE6 semi-automatic. I just miss the floorboards, and will probably add some sometime.

Buying the Road King used and selling it after 20,000 miles with net cost of 2,250 for the two years, worked out well for me...

JayBros
10-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Since you're coming from two wheels I strongly suggest you take the time to read the do's and do not's sticky,
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners, before you test ride. Why? It is going to take some mileage to get comfortable with the way any Spyder handles differently from a two wheeler. If you remember from the get-go to loosen the death grip on the bars, don't try to countersteer and still lean into the corners it will make test riding a much more pleasurable experience. Otherwise there's strong chance you'll come away from your first few test rides saying, "That thing handles like :cus:!" It doesn't and you will ultimately realize it is a fine handling but different machine. I also suggest test riding solo before taking the bride with you because you don't want to scare her which you will do if you try to ride it like a two wheeler.

Firefly
10-16-2016, 11:08 PM
I'd personally stay away from the ST. They've been discontinued as have all the 998 V-twin models. They're okay, but the 1330 models will save you money on maintenance and run like a dream.

The RT is the best for a lot of 2-up riding.
The F3-T would be a great bike if you want some sport and 2-up.

Or you can get an F3-S and add removable side cases, back rest, etc.... just beef up the rear shock if you're doing 2-up riding. You can find deals on brand new 2015 models still.

ultrastryk
10-17-2016, 01:57 PM
Which ones can have a radio added? From my net research, it looked like only the RT's and ST Limited's??
Thanks

Bob Denman
10-17-2016, 02:03 PM
RTs now all come standard with a radio... as does the ST-Limited, and F3-Limited...
But with enough money and sweat: you even make a Monkey sing!

Highwayman2013
10-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Check out kijiji in Canada save thousands buying here because of the dollar difference

I assume that is the starting price and you could bargain a little. They are a site sponsor too.

RudyB
10-17-2016, 04:47 PM
I just bought in June on kijiji 22000 cdn 3200 mi so there are deals to be had 1330 cc SE6 RTS

ultrastryk
10-23-2016, 11:39 AM
I like the looks of the F3. Can a removable backrest, removable bags, and a radio be added to this? I will only be hauling my wife about half the time.

Bob Denman
10-23-2016, 01:58 PM
:D Yup! :thumbup: