PDA

View Full Version : ok all my hunting friends

cuznjohn
10-16-2016, 09:01 AM
what would you do if you saw this deer. on facebook i subscribe to a hinting site, and today they posted this picture, with the same question, would you shoot it. several people are saying yes, and several are saying no way. once when i was hunting, i saw a very light colored deer that i thought was albino. but nothing like this one. the deer i saw was a doe, and i didn't have a doe permit, so i let it pass. i would of taken her if i had the permit. but with this buck, i don't know if i would of shot it or not. WHAT WOULD YOU DO

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14713769_918145751650154_787530453353626663_n.jpg? oh=10c91ef514b3595118a5e71949ee7d8c&oe=58A8A7C9

Bob Denman
10-16-2016, 09:05 AM
An Albino, or even a piebald deer (One with only partial pigmentation), is a pretty rare opportunity.
Since it's a recessive trait that takes away the pigmentation which helps to hide the deer in their natural habitat; it's best to harvest them... nojoke

But they are rather breathtaking; when you first see them!

Bob Denman
10-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Here's an even larger critter, that skipped colorization:

From Norway...

Chupaca
10-16-2016, 09:13 AM
I guess on the hunter. It is a thing of beauty and would be ashame to kill it but here is my question.....would you stuff it and display it or dress it and eat it..?? :dontknow: or both....

cuznjohn
10-16-2016, 09:17 AM
one of the comments on the facebook page agreed with bob, and another said harvest it and do a full body mount

Orange Spyder Man
10-16-2016, 10:54 AM
I have hunted for years... I would have passed on taking this deer...

osm

Bob Denman
10-16-2016, 12:23 PM
A full-body mount of him would be expensive; but spectacular!
...And you still get to keep the meat! :2thumbs:

I would have culled him from the herd in order to prevent this mutation from spreading...
...But I wouldn't have been happy about having to do it. nojoke

ARtraveler
10-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Beautiful deer. I don't hunt so will leave my opinion out of the mix this time. :thumbup:

AppleSpyder
10-16-2016, 01:57 PM
When I lived in Wisconsin I was out hunting and saw an albino buck. It was an awesome site, majestic. I couldn't shoot, I just stood and watched him, I don't think I even breathed. To me it was like seeing a white buffalo. I still remember the feeling I had, and it's indescribable. To me I felt like I was given that gift of seeing something so rare. Wow. I can hear the quiet of the early morning and smell the crisp air filled with the scent of fall; then out of the tree line this white buck starts nosing his way out. A few steps at a time. He'd stop and look, sniff the air then take a few bites of grass. He kept inching his way along the tree line and finally he turned and went back into the woods. I never saw him again or heard of anyone else seeing him either. Wow. Just got transported back in time.....

bmccaffrey
10-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Albino deer lives matter lol:gaah:

M109Dreamer
10-16-2016, 07:58 PM
I would shoot it. You dont want those genes passing through the herd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mazo EMS2
10-16-2016, 08:00 PM
There is getting to be a fairly big herd of them near home here. (south central WI) It's been quite a point of controversy too. Many want them protected, and others think they're just normal deer that need to be hunted. It's a hot topic every fall. I don't hunt anymore myself, but personally, I'd pass it up, just cuz it's fairly rare. There are plenty of the typical colored ones to shoot...LOL

Mazo EMS2
10-16-2016, 08:02 PM
When I lived in Wisconsin I was out hunting and saw an albino buck. It was an awesome site, majestic. I couldn't shoot, I just stood and watched him, I don't think I even breathed. To me it was like seeing a white buffalo. I still remember the feeling I had, and it's indescribable. To me I felt like I was given that gift of seeing something so rare. Wow. I can hear the quiet of the early morning and smell the crisp air filled with the scent of fall; then out of the tree line this white buck starts nosing his way out. A few steps at a time. He'd stop and look, sniff the air then take a few bites of grass. He kept inching his way along the tree line and finally he turned and went back into the woods. I never saw him again or heard of anyone else seeing him either. Wow. Just got transported back in time.....

Any chance you were near Leland, WI? That's where there is getting to be a herd of 'em

keys2heaven
10-16-2016, 09:16 PM
But what if they're magical?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mowin
10-17-2016, 05:45 AM
A full-body mount of him would be expensive; but spectacular!
...And you still get to keep the meat! :2thumbs:

I would have culled him from the herd in order to prevent this mutation from spreading...
...But I wouldn't have been happy about having to do it. nojoke

X1....

It's a genetically inferior deer. Take it. Mount it if you want or have the money to do so. Enjoy the :bbq:

Bob Denman
10-17-2016, 07:24 AM
For those of you that don't hunt...

This question will always provoke the wides possible range of responses. I'm glad to see that the folks who wouldn't want to see it shot, aren't "flaming" those of us who would harvest it.
We love seeing them in woods also: they ARE beautiful animals... nojoke
But they are also a game animal. As hunters: we have active roles in guaranteeing the survival of them in their natural habitats.
This example is an unfortunate aberration. It lacks an important part of it's natural defenses: the ability to blend into the shadows of the woods. Any critter that is higher on the food chain than that deer, would have little trouble identifying and harvesting it as a tasty meal.
By harvesting the animal: that recessive trait is removed from the gene pool, and it helps to promote a herd that is better-equipped to survive in the wild...

(This is where it gets... interesting!)
I've had anti-hunting folks say to me: "What would you do to an albino man or woman; shoot them also?"
This is actually like comparing pineapples and hand grenades:
As a species: we have evolved to the point where natural pigmentation isn't as necessary for our survival. (Other than preventing REALLY bad sunburns!) It is still a recessive trait, but it's presence isn't as critical to us, as it is to a wild animal.
(Besides: Johnny and Edgar Winter ROCKED!!!! :D)

Machinegunner
10-17-2016, 11:36 AM
I live in Wisconsin and always thought albinos were protected.

Bob Denman
10-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Each State operates under it's own set of regulations regarding the harvesting of game animals...
Check with "Fish & Game" in Wisconsin, and let us know what you find out.

cptjam
10-18-2016, 12:21 AM
Might be interesting to see, but a mutant. Out of the gene pool.

mxz600
10-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Save the white deer, but that's just me. And for all here that seem to think albino deer are weak and inferior, not true. It's also not true about the white making them stand out to their predators. Animals don't see the world through the same lens as humans. And if it were true albinos are more susceptible to predators, it seems to me that being white might help them blend in during the winter months.:dontknow: Animals hunt more by size and movement over color of prey.

And a side note, I just love white. Such beauty and elegance.

When I get home I'm going to embed a picture of my cat, her name is snowflake. You can probably guess what color she is.

Good info below.

http://protectthewhitedeer.com/addressing-the-issues

Bob Denman
10-19-2016, 05:01 PM
:shocked::hun:
But by losing their natural camouflage: they ARE more visible to the predators that are hunting them.
They see the World (largely), in black, white, and shades of gray...
White: stands out! It would be like painting your Spyder Fluorescent Green...

safecracker
10-19-2016, 08:12 PM
I would pass.

mowin
10-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Save the white deer, but that's just me. And for all here that seem to think albino deer are weak and inferior, not true. It's also not true about the white making them stand out to their predators. Animals don't see the world through the same lens as humans. And if it were true albinos are more susceptible to predators, it seems to me that being white might help them blend in during the winter months.:dontknow: Animals hunt more by size and movement over color of prey.

And a side note, I just love white. Such beauty and elegance.

When I get home I'm going to embed a picture of my cat, her name is snowflake. You can probably guess what color she is.

http://protectthewhitedeer.com/addressing-the-issues

Soo, if animals can't see white, why do whitetail deer have a white underside of there tail? It's to warn other deer of potential danger.

Why do Jackrabbits change their white winter coat back to brown during the spring? Remember according to
Protectthewhitedeer, it's unnecessary. :banghead:

grumpybob
10-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Take a ride to Sampson state Park in Central New York. Enjoy the Navy/Air Force museum there. Drive a couple of miles north, on the right side of the road it will be all fenced in for a few miles. The old Army Base. You can see all the white deer you want, if you hit it right. Used to store - well that doesn't matter I guess.

Machinegunner
10-20-2016, 12:11 PM
I just looked. In Wisconsin it is illegal to possess a white or albino deer carcass unless having permission from the DNR.