PDA

View Full Version : cortech sport saddlebags

wyliec
04-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Does anyone have these that is riding 2 up with the stock passenger pegs?

I went to put my saddlebags on last nite and it appears the passenger would not have enough (or very little room for her feet) and it if I tried to move the bags back they will be jammed into the signal lights.

So, are the only ways around this the peg extension brackets or put them in the spyder trunk?

Greg H.
04-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Does anyone have these that is riding 2 up with the stock passenger pegs?

I went to put my saddlebags on last nite and it appears the passenger would not have enough (or very little room for her feet) and it if I tried to move the bags back they will be jammed into the signal lights.

So, are the only ways around this the peg extension brackets or put them in the spyder trunk?

If using the Cortech or Nelson-Rigg Bags, the peg extensions are the best option when carrying a passenger. I don't think there is another (good) way, actually. I tried turning the bags around, and running the back strap behind the backrest. Bad idea. :( :)

These are Tony Fischer's extensions on my Spyder. Note; that they not only go forward 2.5"; they also extend out 2.5", allowing ample room.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9da20b3127ccec696ed55d22500000040O08AZtmbZq0aMw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

wyliec
04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
If using the Cortech or Nelson-Rigg Bags, the peg extensions are the best option when carrying a passenger. I don't think there is another (good) way, actually. I tried turning the bags around, and running the back strap behind the backrest. Bad idea. :( :)

These are Tony Fischer's extensions on my Spyder. Note; that they not only go forward 2.5"; they also extend out 2.5", allowing ample room.

Thanks. I think I will go with them. No problems with the install?
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9da20b3127ccec696ed55d22500000040O08AZtmbZq0aMw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

kalavera
04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
as soon as you can, post up a pick of your cortech sport bags. I am curious to see how they look. Only seen em in a magazine. I know they have less space than their other saddle bags.

wyliec
04-03-2009, 07:54 PM
as soon as you can, post up a pick of your cortech sport bags. I am curious to see how they look. Only seen em in a magazine. I know they have less space than their other saddle bags.

I spent quite a bit of time tonight positioning the cortech bags on the spyder. I found, that to get the best positioning of the bags and two velcro straps that connect the bags together, the straps should be placed under the seat; no surprise there. Also, due to the hand grips and the length of the velcro straps, one strap will be before the hand grips and the other will be through the hand grips limiting the bag position. And, to get the best overlap of the two velcro straps the bags should be placed backwards.

So what does this all mean- the two velcro straps (due to their length) and hand grips limit how far back the bags can be placed. As far as I can tell (and I may be wrong), even with the foot peg extensions the passenger may not get enough of their feet on the pegs to be comfortable.

You may want to go with the NR bags.

bjt
04-03-2009, 10:22 PM

I used to own the Cortech Sport bags and they look very similar to the Nelson-Rigg bags the greg H. posted. They are wedge shaped with a side zipper to increase the width by about two inches. They carried a fair amount, almost as much as the regular Cortech bags that my wife has. However, if I was going to buy another set of those soft saddle bags, I would try Nelson-Rigg to see if the extender strap that they provide made it easier to attach to the Spyder.

Greg H.
04-04-2009, 07:36 AM
I did fail to mention earlier that with the Nelson-Rigg bags, you will need the strap extensions. You simply call N-R, and they will ship them to you - free. :thumbup:

Putting these bags on, and taking them off takes about 3 minutes. Simple! And, it was Tim (zzneonzz) that pointed out to me, that in order to run the straps under the Spyder's seat, you must screw out (lengthen) the latch bolt on the seat. Again - pretty simple. :)

I think the N-R CL-950 bags are about an additional litre bigger in capacity than the Cortec counterpart.