PDA

View Full Version : 2008 ECU

bhfromme
10-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Ok guys need some help here. 2008 GS, low miles only around 17,000. Suddenly lost power and went into limp mode even though the 08 doesn't call it limp mode. Took it to dealer and they have eliminated everything down to the ECU (computer).

$500 plus for the ECU new. Dealer is telling me he's never seen one fail which tells me a used one would most likely work fine. Finding a used ECU for a 2008 Spyder is the issue. Any ideas?

Bill

Bob Denman
10-15-2016, 05:32 PM
:shocked: Bummer...
But for $500: you'd have the dealer on your side...
If you get one from a salvage bike: you have no idea if it's any good...
... Other than some guy you've never met, who's telling you that it was working fine, when he pulled it from the bike! :yikes:
Peace of mind is worth an awful lot in this game... nojoke

Good Luck!

bhfromme
10-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Thanks Bob. That's pretty much what I'm thinking too. Just hoping for a miracle I guess...

Firefly
10-15-2016, 09:37 PM
Thanks Bob. That's pretty much what I'm thinking too. Just hoping for a miracle I guess...

There have been reported cases of them going bad... and also the connectors getting damaged, corroded, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chupaca
10-15-2016, 10:03 PM
Ebay, Amazon, here and cheapcycleparts.com. :thumbup: forgot the one BLUEKNIGHT911 recommends...:thumbup:

MercerLake
10-16-2016, 01:15 AM
Ok guys need some help here. 2008 GS, low miles only around 17,000. Suddenly lost power and went into limp mode even though the 08 doesn't call it limp mode. Took it to dealer and they have eliminated everything down to the ECU (computer).

$500 plus for the ECU new. Dealer is telling me he's never seen one fail which tells me a used one would most likely work fine. Finding a used ECU for a 2008 Spyder is the issue. Any ideas?

Bill

What does the dealer offer IF the new ECU doesn't fix the problem?? I do agree that a used one would be a big gamble, but who pays if the new or different ECU doesn't fix the problem? Electronics was supposed to make life easier! Should be possible with BUDS to check that all the input conditions are within limits, and which of the outputs controlling ignition and fuel injector signals is in error. Have the plugs, ignition wires and fuel filter, fuel pressure been checked? I like to start simple and cheap!

Bfromla
10-16-2016, 02:23 AM
Ebay, Amazon, here and cheapcycleparts.com. :thumbup: forgot the one BLUEKNIGHT911 recommends...:thumbup:
:pYea I know that! :yes: Fyi the one BLUEKNIGHT likes to recommend is

http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/c/can_am_motorcycle/parts

Ex Winger
10-16-2016, 06:10 AM
I agree with Bob.I know it,s 500 bucks but if the dealer installs a new one and thats not the problem it,s theirs to keep.You buy off E bay or used it,s yours.Good luck. Bill

Bob Denman
10-16-2016, 07:58 AM
There have been reported cases of them going bad... and also the connectors getting damaged, corroded, etc.

Dan has brought up a VERY good point: check the connections going in and out of it first! nojoke

And Dan: :D

GREAT advice!!! :clap: :bowdown: