PDA

View Full Version : Help with tire pressure

Spyder33
10-15-2016, 10:55 AM
For anyone running aftermarket front tires, specifically Kuhmo, what tire pressures are you using? Just trying to get best mileage, traction and comfort on my 2015 RTL

billybovine
10-15-2016, 10:58 AM
On my ST I had it at 22 psi maybe should have been at 20 psi. Since a RT is heavier and with 2 up a lot maybe start out at 24 psi.

Sorry misread the question. I assumed rear tire. For fronts I would start at 14 or 15 psi.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 11:27 AM
For anyone running aftermarket front tires, specifically Kuhmo, what tire pressures are you using? Just trying to get best mileage, traction and comfort on my 2015 RTL
I've posted in detail about a dozen times about this ...... the short version is ...... On the Spyder , ANY car tire needs much LESS PSI to work it's best.....especially if it's WET ..... the SIPES need to FLEX to be most effective........Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-15-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm running 24 psi in my RT.
I used to run 28psi; when I still had the Kenda...
I could probably drop down to 22 psi... but I start getting nervous (For no apparent reason! :D)

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 01:21 PM
I could probably drop down to 22 psi... but I start getting nervous (For no apparent reason! :D)................Remember awhile back I posted I accidently had my Michelin ( rear ) down to 8 psi and it didn't fall off :roflblack: ..... Trust me and Peter Awaaen ( Australia ) ...... It will work way better at 20-21 psi ........ your tire can handle a ...4000 lb car !!!!!!!! .............. what is the worst thing that can happen at 21psi ????????........ NOTHING ..................This is the SAD thing, if LaMonster said He did it , you would probably break a leg running to your garage to do this ............. and He isn't the EXPERT on this. My qualifications give that one to me :dontknow: ....... Mike :bbq:

Bob Denman
10-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Mike, Mike, Mike...
:shocked: I've never said that you're not right: I'm just saying that I've been able to drop a couple of pounds out of mine, yet still remain comfortable with the decision! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Mike, Mike, Mike...
:shocked: I've never said that you're not right: I'm just saying that I've been able to drop a couple of pounds out of mine, yet still remain comfortable with the decision! :thumbup:
Bob, my point wasn't about right or wrong :banghead::banghead::banghead: ....... it was more about how people think......... Mike :thumbup:

fjray
10-15-2016, 02:28 PM
On the internet the qualification to be an expert is very low. That being said I run my Kuhmo kh16 tires at 22 lbs. and they work very well.

Grayfox
10-15-2016, 02:51 PM
2012 rts Generals on front at 18 Kumo on rear at 25

STELLING MAN
10-15-2016, 03:17 PM
I run 20# In the front and 30# In the back, no problems what so ever..

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 03:17 PM
On the internet the qualification to be an expert is very low. That being said I run my Kuhmo kh16 tires at 22 lbs. and they work very well.
:roflblack: .... As is the qualification to be a dumba**, and comments about things when they are ignorant of the facts about someone's Legal qualifications, but choose to be RUDE just because it's the internet. I remember now why you are on my Ignore list :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:................. ....:yes:

Bob Denman
10-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Mike: Have a Snickers Bar... nojoke
He's pretty new here, and has actually made a good point:
If he doesn't know what your qualifications are: how can he be expected to take it at face value? :dontknow:
If you're gonna give an "expert opinion": at least give the uninitiated some idea as to what your background is... :thumbup:
Not everybody has been on here forever. :D

fjray
10-15-2016, 06:34 PM
:roflblack: .... As is the qualification to be a dumba**, and comments about things when they are ignorant of the facts about someone's Legal qualifications, but choose to be RUDE just because it's the internet. I remember now why you are on my Ignore list :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:................. ....:yes:Wasn't aware of legal qualification to offer opinions about tire pressure or assume somebody is a dumbass. I've spent over 50 years is the service of cars , motorcycles and marine so I have a basis for my opinion. One needs to bring an open mind and thick skin to the internet. If I am on your ignore list I'll assume you have niether.

Chrisluckey
10-15-2016, 06:59 PM
................Remember awhile back I posted I accidently had my Michelin ( rear ) down to 8 psi and it didn't fall off :roflblack: ..... Trust me and Peter Awaaen ( Australia ) ...... It will work way better at 20-21 psi ........ your tire can handle a ...4000 lb car !!!!!!!! .............. what is the worst thing that can happen at 21psi ????????........ NOTHING ..................This is the SAD thing, if LaMonster said He did it , you would probably break a leg running to your garage to do this ............. and He isn't the EXPERT on this. My qualifications give that one to me :dontknow: ....... Mike :bbq:
I'm fairly new to this site. I'm really amazed at how some people treat the newbie questions and are so arrogant...it makes you not want to ask any questions..

Av8er
10-15-2016, 07:13 PM
I'm fairly new to this site. I'm really amazed at how some people treat the newbie questions and are so arrogant...it makes you not want to ask any questions..

I agree!!! A few on here see the need to be a di#k for no reason. :dontknow: Not all but a few; oh well, there's a lot of good info and many people willing to help here. Hangout for awhile and you will learn to over look the a**holes. :2thumbs:

kep-up
10-15-2016, 07:23 PM
2011 RS S SE5

front tires, Bridgestone Potenza, 15 to 18 psi.

rear tire, not sure - a unidirectional highperformance car tire, 20 to 22psi.

AeroPilot
10-15-2016, 07:37 PM
Also have the OEM Kendas on my 15 RT at 17 psi cold, but had the opportunity to run one at 8-13 psi yesterday when I experienced a mid tread puncture. I was leaving Gallup headed east when I heard some road debris hit the front left tire, but didn't think anything until my FOBO alarmed and I pulled over on I-40 about 5 miles east of town. When I confirmed that the pressure was at 8.7 psi, I got out my little Stop n Go compressor and added a little air up to 13.6 and looped back on the frontage road to town, where I still had 12 psi in the tire. Even the Kenda seemed to run fine at this pressure, and 30-40 MPH speed.

When I found a helpful station and spot to work on it, I borrowed their air and proceeded to plug the mid-tread hole with a mushroom plug from the kit and then inflated it back to 25 psi for good measure. Still had 2 hrs to make Albuquerque, and made it fine with the FOBO providing live monitoring. I was going to get some new Kumho Solus's in Albuquerque as they have been great on the wifes RT, but after a 1 1/2 hour traffic jam tieup at Rio Rancho, we got to the motel after dark.
This morning, the pressure and plug in the tire were just as I left them last night, so I released a little air down to 21 psi, and rode back 350 miles to Pueblo today.
I'll order two new Kumho Solus's Monday, and decide when to switch out, but the plug still looks good, and still have 3/32 above the wear bars with 18,250 miles on the OEM Kendas. Glad I also got a little experience with the plug kit. I may look for a bigger compressor, since I don't think the little one in the kit will pressure up a rear tire without burning up.

Currently running as low as 23 psi in the rear tire on a 50 degree morning, which heats up to 28-29 psi at 105 degree tire temp according to FOBO. 138957

Michaelscs
10-15-2016, 07:50 PM

Chrisluckey - Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the head!!

Blueknight911, you call other people rude, you need to go back and read some of your posts!!! Start with this thread!

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Mike: Have a Snickers Bar... nojoke
He's pretty new here, and has actually made a good point:
If he doesn't know what your qualifications are: how can he be expected to take it at face value? :dontknow:
If you're gonna give an "expert opinion": at least give the uninitiated some idea as to what your background is... :thumbup:
Not everybody has been on here forever. :D
Dear Bob, I think 14 months here dis-qualifies them as a NEWBIE .....AND I have posted my qualifications a few times , if I keep mentioning them over and over, I know someone is going to claim I'm BOASTING or some other nonsense........ However my point was directed at the Poster in question because He had the temerity to make His STUPID comment ..... based on ....NO KNOWLEDGE ...... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 09:45 PM
I'm fairly new to this site. I'm really amazed at how some people treat the newbie questions and are so arrogant...it makes you not want to ask any questions......................Really ....Bob has 75,435 posts , you think He's a Newbie .......... I guess you also fit into the " un-informed but comment anyway " category ....:lecturef_smilie: :roflblack: :roflblack: .......Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Chrisluckey - Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the head!!

Blueknight911, you call other people rude, you need to go back and read some of your posts!!! Start with this thread!
Thank you for your less than kind comment ........ please read post #20 .... it applies to you also :yes::yes::yes:.........Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 09:57 PM
I agree!!! A few on here see the need to be a di#k for no reason. :dontknow: Not all but a few; oh well, there's a lot of good info and many people willing to help here. Hangout for awhile and you will learn to over look the a**holes. :2thumbs:
Thank you for your less than kind comment .........please read post #20, it also applies to you ......:yes::yes::yes:.......Mike :thumbup:

robmorg
10-15-2016, 10:49 PM
I could probably drop down to 22 psi... but I start getting nervous (For no apparent reason! :D)Bob,

Just to be clear, you are talking about the rear tire with those numbers, is that correct? But, the OP asked about recommended pressure for car tires on the front. I believe in Mike's reply to you, he was also thinking "rear tire". I recall when Derrick installed my new Yokohama on the rear, he recommended 20 lbs. But like you, i'm running it at 24 - also for no apparent reason except my "comfort level". Considering the load I put on that back tire (with me plus the "stuff" I carry) it seems to be performing and wareing well at that pressure.

In the front, I run with 17 in my OEM Kendas, but if I had aftermarket tires with better sidewalls, I'd probably experiment with lower numbers on the front tires.

fjray
10-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Mr. Bluenight, if your qualifications put you on a level not to be questioned then perhaps they should be mandatory reading for all new members. Not trying to make an issue of it but we all put our pants the same way so we are all on equal footing and are entitled to our opinion.:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2016, 11:51 PM
Mr. Bluenight, if your qualifications put you on a level not to be questioned then perhaps they should be mandatory reading for all new members. Not trying to make an issue of it but we all put our pants the same way so we are all on equal footing and are entitled to our opinion.:thumbup:
My posts on this thread ( prior to yours ) had absolutely nothing to do with or about you ....... However for some reason you felt compelled to make a SNIDE remark ( which is different from an OPINION )...... So enlighten me as to why you felt that it was necessary, because I'm completely baffled :dontknow: ????.......Mike :thumbup:

fjray
10-16-2016, 12:43 AM
My posts on this thread ( prior to yours ) had absolutely nothing to do with or about you ....... However for some reason you felt compelled to make a SNIDE remark ( which is different from an OPINION )...... So enlighten me as to why you felt that it was necessary, because I'm completely baffled :dontknow: ????.......Mike :thumbup:
In post #5 of this thread you state that your qualifications give you the title of expert in this case. I merely pointed out that the bar to be an expert on the internet is a moving target. That wasn't snide just fact. You chose to take offense and label me a dumbass without reguard for my qualifications or experience. I don't take offense but consider the source. I'm here like most to gather and share information about a machine that we own or are considering and the opinions are like belly buttons, we all have one

kep-up
10-16-2016, 05:58 AM
​OH, GOOD GREIF!!!!!!

IGETAROUND
10-16-2016, 06:37 AM
to the OP before this thread gets pulled, I run 20 in the front and 18 in the rear, conti's and kumo respectively. Great wet road traction since reduced the pressure on rear from 26 to 18. Thanks to Peter from down under's logic I am comfortable doing this.

Think about how much weight is in the tire on your RT compared to a car of 3000#'s.

My comments, as always, are worth exactly what you paid for them

Bob Denman
10-16-2016, 08:04 AM
:shocked: How about a round: "On the House"?

And Rob: you were 100% correct... :shocked:
I missed the reference to it being about front tires. :opps:

This all falls on me: SORRY! nojoke

Bensonoid
10-16-2016, 08:41 AM

I'm going to be replacing my stock fronts next season. I wish yokohama made one that would fit :pray:. Can we start from the beginning of this thread again cuz I'm wondering what the consensus is on this.

Richardv
10-16-2016, 08:50 AM

After experimenting on wet and dry all summer, with Kumho KH16 (175/55R15)in the front, and Kumho AST (225/50R15)I. settled down to 16.5 lbs front left, 17 lbs front right and 26 lbs in the rear.

Have started with 30 in the back and 25 in the front, but was not comfortable, and with the poor road quality we have, developped some rattles. I even have some play in the front right top A-arm rearward bushing. So be careful if running high pressure.

P.S. ....I even went as low as 9psi in the front and 18 in the back. Riding hard in the twisties never broke the bead seal, but I could feel the tire rolling under lateral loads pressure. Comfort was not any better .

Richard

murphybrown
10-16-2016, 09:31 AM
knock it off. If you cannot honor and respect another than please just SHUT UP or I will send you to your room alone!! :yikes:

reissooz
10-16-2016, 09:36 AM
:cheers:
knock it off. If you cannot honor and respect another than please just SHUT UP or I will send you to your room alone!! :yikes:

robmorg
10-16-2016, 10:14 AM
The OP asked an interesting question. He wanted to know what tire pressure folks are recommending for the front tires on an RT if they are running automobile tires. The few folks so far that have given him an answer seem to be running really high pressures on the front and I, for one, am curious to know why that is.

For the front tires, the owner's manuals recommend 15 psi for the 998 RT, and 20 psi for the 1330 RT. But that's with the OEM Kenda tires with the soft sidewalls. Mike is correct that "real" automobile tires wouldn't need as much air as the Kendas given the same weight load, and in fact would perform better with less air. So I'm curious as to why folks are putting so much air in their front tires? When I upgrade my front tires to automobile tires, I would anticipate starting them out at about 13-14 psi and experimenting from there. (I have a 998 RT. With a 1330, I'd probably recommend starting at about 16 psi and going up or down from there, but I cannot speak from experience about that.)

robmorg
10-16-2016, 10:18 AM
And Rob: you were 100% correct... :shocked:
I missed the reference to it being about front tires. :opps:

This all falls on me: SORRY! nojoke
You should be ashamed of yourself. :yikes:

:roflblack::roflblack:

And as for Mike, HE is not to blame. I think his "evil twin" got on his computer again. ;)

fjray
10-16-2016, 10:57 AM
Sorry for stiring the pot. I get caught up in the entertainment.

I've been working on getting the front pressure where I like it. I've been running 22 psi and will probably go a bit lower but not much. I like the more positive feel of the higher pressure. I'm sure I'll adjust some more but with the weather closing in and recent surgery riding for this season is done.The KH16 works really well for me in the wet at 22 psi

AeroPilot
10-16-2016, 11:20 AM
After experimenting on wet and dry all summer, with Kumho KH16 (175/55R15)in the front, and Kumho AST (225/50R15)I. settled down to 16.5 lbs front left, 17 lbs front right and 26 lbs in the rear.

Have started with 30 in the back and 25 in the front, but was not comfortable, and with the poor road quality we have, developped some rattles. I even have some play in the front right top A-arm rearward bushing. So be careful if running high pressure.

P.S. ....I even went as low as 9psi in the front and 18 in the back. Riding hard in the twisties never broke the bead seal, but I could feel the tire rolling under lateral loads pressure. Comfort was not any better .

Richard

We also run the Kumho Solus KH16 but the 155/60 width on the front on our 15 RT which is about 200 lbs heavier than his ST. My wife puts all the miles (about 20,000 per year) and is only about 100 lb. Since we are interested in mileage and wear, we run 18 psi on the fronts, and we now have 23.5 psi in the rear Kumho Ecsta AST 225 which has over 28,000 miles on it and will run probably another 8-10,000 into next summer. We run the backcountry roads at 3-5 mph over the limit, and the interstate at the limit. Just finished the week, 1900 miles with 600 of it interstate. We could run less pressure on these tires but get better wear it seems and good handling, and my wife can still muscle the front steering on low speed maneuvering. Your ride and expectations are sure to be different.

Bob Denman
10-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Sorry for stiring the pot. I get caught up in the entertainment.

I've been working on getting the front pressure where I like it. I've been running 22 psi and will probably go a bit lower but not much. I like the more positive feel of the higher pressure. I'm sure I'll adjust some more but with the weather closing in and recent surgery riding for this season is done.The KH16 works really well for me in the wet at 22 psi

Higher pressures DO give a more precise feeling up front...

Right up until they start transmitting every surface irregularity back to your hands.
When you get the impression that the tires are starting to get "bouncy"; it's time to lower the pressures a bit.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-16-2016, 04:58 PM
​OH, GOOD GREIF!!!!!!
" GRIEF " :dontknow: don't fret we all make mis-takes :roflblack:....... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-16-2016, 05:14 PM
The OP asked an interesting question. He wanted to know what tire pressure folks are recommending for the front tires on an RT if they are running automobile tires. The few folks so far that have given him an answer seem to be running really high pressures on the front and I, for one, am curious to know why that is.

For the front tires, the owner's manuals recommend 15 psi for the 998 RT, and 20 psi for the 1330 RT. But that's with the OEM Kenda tires with the soft sidewalls. Mike is correct that "real" automobile tires wouldn't need as much air as the Kendas given the same weight load, and in fact would perform better with less air. So I'm curious as to why folks are putting so much air in their front tires? When I upgrade my front tires to automobile tires, I would anticipate starting them out at about 13-14 psi and experimenting from there. (I have a 998 RT. With a 1330, I'd probably recommend starting at about 16 psi and going up or down from there, but I cannot speak from experience about that.)
Rob ride with what you feel comfortable with, but consider what I said above about what a car tire is built to handle ( weight wise ). You say you are larger than most and think adding a few pounds to compensate is a good idea....... Well you need to look at it as a % of the load capability vs. what you consider to be a heavier load ( you ). If you are 100 lb. more than avg. adding 3 lbs pressure is way more than needed if you consider the weight of the Spyder vs. a Car ( which car tires are made for ).....8oz.might be better ...... and Peter ( in Australia ) may have also explained this fact..... in the wet the SIPES in the tires need to compress and de-compress to work ...... a rock hard tire won't let it do it properly .... and 28 psi may not seem high and isn't for a 4000 lb car , but for a 1000 lb or less Spyder it is. Give it a try at 21psi rear, I promise nothing bad will happen ....... I know this post above is directed at front tires but I'm covering all car tire use with this comment to you ........Mike :thumbup:

robmorg
10-16-2016, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Mike. Makes sense to me. :thumbup: As I said in an earlier post above, Derrick Netzley recommended 20 psi for my rear tire when he installed the Yoko s-Drive. I'll probably take it from 24 down to 22 for a while and see what that feels like and how it wears.

I run my original OEM front Kenda's at 17, which seems to be about right for them. Those things have well over 12,000 miles on them, still going strong, and are wearing evenly. But I'm thinking maybe around 13-14 psi when I eventually put automobile tires on the front of my 998 RT. What do you think? :dontknow:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks, Mike. Makes sense to me. :thumbup: As I said in an earlier post above, Derrick Netzley recommended 20 psi for my rear tire when he installed the Yoko s-Drive. I'll probably take it from 24 down to 22 for a while and see what that feels like and how it wears.

I run my original OEM front Kenda's at 17, which seems to be about right for them. Those things have well over 12,000 miles on them, still going strong, and are wearing evenly. But I'm thinking maybe around 13-14 psi when I eventually put automobile tires on the front of my 998 RT. What do you think? :dontknow:
#1. Wear - I don't think the PSI you ride at is going to make much difference either way as long as it's reasonable ( ie. not 25 % over or under ) ..... #2. the thing that will wear out any tire ( especially Kenda's ) is bad alignment. #3. For you with any car tire on the front ...try 16 psi ....... I just put Altimax 175/65-15's on my 2014 RT and initially had 17.5psi in them ...... in NC in the twistie's I thought I was feeling a little " roll-under " ( we were cranking it ). So I bumped up to 21psi and it went away !!! ... I found the casing size on the Altimax to be unusually large for a 65 aspect tire ... So except for EXTREME RIDING I will lower the psi to 17.5 ( because of the higher sidewall ) .........Mike :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Why the different pressures, right vs. left? Of course, 1/2 psi is almost nothing, but still I'm wondering.

I'm running 18 psi in my front Kendas. The wear appears to be quite uniform. I'm running about 23 in my rear General Altimax.

Richardv
10-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Why the different pressures, right vs. left? Of course, 1/2 psi is almost nothing, but still I'm wondering.

I'm running 18 psi in my front Kendas. The wear appears to be quite uniform. I'm running about 23 in my rear General Altimax.

It is supposed to compensate for the weight shift to the right with the domed
roads..... does it, or does it matter..... who knows.....

AeroPilot
10-16-2016, 09:40 PM
It is supposed to compensate for the weight shift to the right with the domed
roads..... does it, or does it matter..... who knows.....

As the outside tire on crowned roads just feels right to me! Should keep the Spyder a little "flatter" on the corners?

Bensonoid
10-17-2016, 04:06 AM

I ran my Yoko at 28 for 8,000 miles and it has a little more wear in the middle. I dropped it down to 22 and it was fine, have gone down to 20 now but haven't ridden it yet.

Bob Denman
10-17-2016, 06:58 AM
I would caution against running different tire pressures for each side up front...
Nanny doesn't like it when there's more than a half-pound difference between the tires, and you're right at the hairy ragged edge of that margin. nojoke

This isn't NASCAR; stagger shouldn't enter into the process...

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-17-2016, 09:16 AM
I ran mine at 28 for 8,000 miles and it has a little more wear in the middle. I dropped it down to 22 and it was fine, have gone down to 20 now but haven't ridden it yet.........I know I didn't say it specifically ..... but My comments were directed almost entirely towards CAR tires ( except for the alignment thing ) ..... It's a well known FACT that with Kenda tires on the REAR - - PSI has no effect 20lb to 34lb it makes no difference in the wear factor...... The tire is marginal with little strength ..... Use one at your own Peril ......jmho.....Mike :thumbup:

AeroPilot
10-17-2016, 10:21 AM
I would caution against running different tire pressures for each side up front...
Nanny doesn't like it when there's more than a half-pound difference between the tires, and you're right at the hairy ragged edge of that margin. nojoke

I am not sure that the FOBO gauges can be accurate enough to be counted on to keep the fronts at even pressures. I think nanny allows quite a bit of freedom, but don't know the "programmed" allowances or have BUDS to see if error messages are being generated. I know that I rode back Sunday 360 miles with my plug repaired front Kenda tire 3 psi higher than the other without nanny,s dash warning flashing, but now that I'm home have them balanced pretty close according to FOBO. These readings are higher than what my wifes bikes Kumhos run, but still running the OEM Kendas til the Kumho Solus' get here.139019

http://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=54

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-17-2016, 10:31 AM

Bob, where or who gave you this info ???? ..... I accidently drove around with my rear Michelin tire at 8 lbs and the " NANNY " didn't tell me about it !!!! :banghead: ..... and I know my fronts haven't always been EXACTLY the same.................. Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-17-2016, 11:38 AM
You weren't reading any better than me... :D
I said that the front tires should be kept within a half-pound of each other...

But here's where I read it...

TIRE
S
Type (use only tires Front KR31 165/55R15
recommended by BRP) Rear KR21 225/50R15
Front
Nominal.: 138 kPa (20 PSI)
Min.: 118 kPa (17 PSI)
Max.: 158 kPa (23 PSI)
Nominal.: 193 kPa (28 PSI)
Min.: 179 kPa (26 PSI)
Max.: 207 kPa (30 PSI)
Pressure
Rear
NOTE:
The pressure difference between the left andright side tire should not exceed 3.4 kPa (.5 PSI).

Read your manual: it's in the technical specifications section. (I think that it starts on page 160...)

OJ UK
10-17-2016, 12:34 PM
139022Running a Toyo Proxes T1-R at 22psi on my 2015 F3-S on the rear. It works!

AeroPilot
10-20-2016, 10:23 AM
:yikes: I don't know if my Overly Compulsive, Doubting nature can take this change. May be time to get JT's balance tube:shocked:139127

Even the FOBO's tend to vary with time and temp, although the bike has been sitting without me touching the valves...hmmm. Oh well, I know they have air in them, and the weather is nice, so... time to RYDE!!

Peter Aawen
10-20-2016, 04:48 PM
If you park your Spyder long enough with only one tire sitting in the sun, then sure, you're gonna get some temperature difference between front tires & therefore you'll have a pressure difference too, altho it shouldn't be more than 1-2 psi unless you live somewhere really hot - but the critical thing is that after they've been warmed up thru ryding/use, they end up within that 1/2 a psi or so!! ;)

You should aim for a 4-6psi pressure increase after an hour or so's ryding anyway!! If your tire pressures aren't set too high to start with, it should only take about 10-15 mins of 'normal' riding to get them up to operating temps!! If they start out more than about 5-6 psi too high when cold, it's likely your tire pressures won't change much at all in that short a time ryding, & it might take a loooong ryde to really get the tread up to 'optimal' operating temps, if you can ever do that on anything but a narrow strip down the middle of the tread!! :shocked:

An 'infrared' remote temp gauge should show an even tread temperature right across the face of the bit of tread that hits the ground (measure at least 3 spots across the face immediately on stopping) - if it's got clear high temperature strips of tread, your tire pressures are incorrect & your tires will probably wear out the hot bits faster than anything else! Rough guide - Outside edges the hottest, pressure too low; Middle of the tread the hottest, pressures too high. :thumbup:

Deer Slayer
10-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Then you get a whole new set of numbers.
:roflblack: If anyone gives a rats arse, with nitrogen on my RS-S, 16 PSI FRONT and 24 psi REAR. Single up and some times trailer. Type on ya'll...
:cheers:

Bob Denman
10-21-2016, 06:58 AM
nitrogen? :shocked:
I use the discount version: it's only 78% pure...

WingmanRT
03-27-2017, 06:34 PM
My wife and I have been riding our Spyders (RT 2010 & 2011) for 5-6 years with the front tire pressure at about 18@. She went to fill hers up and correctly stated that the sidewall says a Max pressure of 30psi!!!!???? I looked and it says that on both our Spyders. Mine has new fronts (from BRP) and hers are still OEM. I got about 22000 miles on my first set, but

I don't want to run under-inflated. What's the answer?

wd8ajj
03-27-2017, 06:44 PM
I use BRP's recommended thats on the bike and add about 4. Say 18 front, I put about 21,22. 19k on the front so far and rear, well went to Vee and have 10K and looking good. about 28 in rear.

Fat Baxter
03-27-2017, 08:32 PM
^^ "A few on here see the need to be a di#k for no reason."

I blame cabin fever. Spring can't come soon enough for our northern-based brethren.

And FWIW, I have Kumho Solus KH16's on the front, running at 18 psi, and a General Altimax RT43 on the rear, running at 24 psi. One-up riding only. No problems.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-27-2017, 11:06 PM
139022Running a Toyo Proxes T1-R at 22psi on my 2015 F3-S on the rear. It works!
OJ , I had those on my RT on the front and I think it was the Stickiest tire I ever ran ........ can you even break traction with it ??????? .................. Mike :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-28-2017, 08:02 AM
My wife and I have been riding our Spyders (RT 2010 & 2011) for 5-6 years with the front tire pressure at about 18@. She went to fill hers up and correctly stated that the sidewall says a Max pressure of 30psi!!!!???? I looked and it says that on both our Spyders. Mine has new fronts (from BRP) and hers are still OEM. I got about 22000 miles on my first set, but

I don't want to run under-inflated. What's the answer?
30 is the safety limit, not recommended pressure. 15 is BRP recommended pressure.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

AY4B
03-28-2017, 07:57 PM
On my first rear tire, It was time to change at 3500 miles. I got a Yokahama S drive and wore it out at around 8 thousand. The center was going bald. I was running 28 pounds. Just got a new Yokohama mounted. Should I drop to 26 or lower?

Peter Aawen
03-28-2017, 09:00 PM
..... Should I drop to 26 or lower?

Not on the Kendas, they can't handle it!! :shocked: But certainly drop your pressure on any car tire with a load rating that's up to carrying a normal sedan - the Spyders are significantly lighter so any 'strong' tire underneath them will generally only need about 20-22 psi in them to carry the load & let the tire achieve operating temps, the heavier/stronger they are constructed or the lighter the load on them, the lower their necessary pressure to do the job becomes - but they will generally do it safely & without any hassles!! :thumbup:

Car tires under something light like our Spyders need the lower pressures to let their stronger/heavier sidewalls flex suitably to generate that 'necessary for proper operation' heat but you don't want to go so low that you compromise their handling, your safety, or the tire's integrity, so you should probably use something like the 4psi rule or an infra red thermometer to confirm that the tire isn't overheating/increasing in pressure (due to overheating) too much!!

A pressure increase of 4-6psi after an hour's riding from your cold start pressures is ideal & what you should be aiming for - less increase, your cold start pressures are too high & you are compromising the tire's puncture resistance, grip, & wear rates, especially in the centre of the tread; more increase & your cold start pressures are too low so you are compromising the tire's sidewalls, handling, & wear rates, especially on the edges of the tread.

It's not hard really all that hard to do (especially with a TPMS) but by putting in the effort to regularly check your tire pressures/pressure increas & aiming for the right pressure/temperature increase during use, you get significant pay-back in terms of optimising your ride, handling, traction, & tire life - doing so can pay for the extra effort the very first time you avoid an aqua-plane incident in the wet or simply thru the better ride & handling you'll get every day... & you get better grip, ride & handling every day that for the (usually significant) longer life of the tires too!! :thumbup:

Or, if you can't be bothered to look after your tires this way, you can just learn to accept the 'less than ideal' ride, handling, grip, & tire life that you are undoubtedly getting!! (unless by some fluke you managed to set your pressures reasonably close to the ideal :rolleyes: )

AY4B
03-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Not on the Kendas, they can't handle it!! :shocked: But certainly drop your pressure on any car tire with a load rating that's up to carrying a normal sedan - the Spyders are significantly lighter so any 'strong' tire underneath them will generally only need about 20-22 psi in them to carry the load & let the tire achieve operating temps, the heavier/stronger they are constructed or the lighter the load on them, the lower their necessary pressure to do the job becomes - but they will generally do it safely & without any hassles!! :thumbup:

Car tires under something light like our Spyders need the lower pressures to let their stronger/heavier sidewalls flex suitably to generate that 'necessary for proper operation' heat but you don't want to go so low that you compromise their handling, your safety, or the tire's integrity, so you should probably use something like the 4psi rule or an infra red thermometer to confirm that the tire isn't overheating/increasing in pressure (due to overheating) too much!!

A pressure increase of 4-6psi after an hour's riding from your cold start pressures is ideal & what you should be aiming for - less increase, your cold start pressures are too high & you are compromising the tire's puncture resistance, grip, & wear rates, especially in the centre of the tread; more increase & your cold start pressures are too low so you are compromising the tire's sidewalls, handling, & wear rates, especially on the edges of the tread.

It's not hard really all that hard to do (especially with a TPMS) but by putting in the effort to regularly check your tire pressures/pressure increas & aiming for the right pressure/temperature increase during use, you get significant pay-back in terms of optimising your ride, handling, traction, & tire life - doing so can pay for the extra effort the very first time you avoid an aqua-plane incident in the wet or simply thru the better ride & handling you'll get every day... & you get better grip, ride & handling every day that for the (usually significant) longer life of the tires too!! :thumbup:

Or, if you can't be bothered to look after your tires this way, you can just learn to accept the 'less than ideal' ride, handling, grip, & tire life that you are undoubtedly getting!! (unless by some fluke you managed to set your pressures reasonably close to the ideal :rolleyes: )
Thanks Peter! I will go with 22 and keep an eye on the temperature that the FOBO is reading. I am still running the stock front tires and keep them at 18 psi. They still have lots of tread.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-28-2017, 10:22 PM
On my first rear tire, It was time to change at 3500 miles. I got a Yokahama S drive and wore it out at around 8 thousand. The center was going bald. I was running 28 pounds. Just got a new Yokohama mounted. Should I drop to 26 or lower?
If you only got 8,000 on the " S " drive ........ why did you get another one :banghead::banghead::banghead: .......... Mike :thumbup:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
03-29-2017, 01:54 AM
If you only got 8,000 on the " S " drive ........ why did you get another one :banghead::banghead::banghead: .......... Mike :thumbup:

True Dat! Hell, I got 10k on my crapenda OEM tire before I changed it out.

Bensonoid
03-29-2017, 04:58 AM
I run 20 lb. in my s drive. I started out with 26 and noticed the center was wearing at 8000 mi. I expect to get another 6-8 k out of it now.

AY4B
03-29-2017, 05:13 AM

Cuz It was Bald:yikes::(