PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks old & 210 miles and a BIG SCARE

burg650
04-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Well I have had my SE5 for two week and have 210 miles on it and only a Hindle exhaust upgrade and today it gave me a BIG SCARE. After about 15 minuets into a ride all hell broke loose on the dash, all the warning lights came on VSS DPS ABS and limp home mode was also on the dash. Stopped and did what I saw on the forum turned off bike and wait 5 min. After I did that all was fine till about a half mile when all came back, now I am thinking all that I have been reading about SE5 problems I now have them so I decided to limp home and was contemplating what my next move was to get bike to dealer of course I am boiled hot at this point that I got a 2009 hoping to minuets these problem and here I have them. So on the way home about a mile a cop stopped me now I am really MAD, he comes over and says are you aware you have no tails lights of course I am very surprise to hear this and I say I had no idea and began to tell him about my engine problem and showed him the messages on the dash he then says this bike is new you still have temp tags. I told him I was very close to home and he said ok I will follow you home and he did.

Now the good part after I am parked in my garage I said lets check the fuse and of course the rear lights fuse was shot so I changed it and I decided to check all of them front and back no more shot just the rear lights. After a few minutes I decided to start the bike to check the light and all message on display are now gone and I said this is very strange so I said let go for a ride and I did about 15 miles and up to 85mph and no more problem. I come home and just to satisfy me I put back the shot fuse and sure all the message came back again never in my life and having so many other toys have I seen that a bad fuse could effect other sensors and cause all warning light to come on. Should I be worried about a problem that might be there and waiting to hit me 100 miles from home,

should I take it to dealer and have them hock up computer and check the bike out or at least see what codes might be still there and clear them. I have to tell you I am now a bit afraid to go on a long ride now.

Degaman
04-03-2009, 05:02 AM
It wouldn't hurt to have the dealer check it out. An assortment of spare fuses and relays might be a good idea also.

wyliec
04-03-2009, 06:15 AM
It wouldn't hurt to have the dealer check it out. An assortment of spare fuses and relays might be a good idea also.

I think I'll be carrying fuses now.

tnfleming
04-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Spare fuses are on the bike; maybe under the fuse box cover i think.

Lamonster
04-03-2009, 06:31 AM
It's a known fact that there has been issues with the relays. I just went through this myself on my SM5. If you're blowing fuses you have more than just a bad fuse. I would get it back to the dealer ASAP.

M2Wild
04-03-2009, 06:37 AM
I think BRP forgot to put in the manual that the x-mas tree effect is by design and signals you there is a bad bulb. Freaking BRP and their CAN bus.

After reading this forum, I now have a small kit in my Spyder full of fuses, relays, tire patch, extra screws and a few band aids.

NancysToy
04-03-2009, 07:16 AM
After reading this forum, I now have a small kit in my Spyder full of fuses, relays, tire patch, extra screws and a few band aids.
roflmao
-Scotty

BRPjunkie
04-03-2009, 07:30 AM
I think BRP forgot to put in the manual that the x-mas tree effect is by design and signals you there is a bad bulb. Freaking BRP and their CAN bus.

I have also included a sheet with English to French translations of a few "&@#^*" words just in case the English version doesn't help. I'm not sure if my Spyder is bilingual or only understands one language.

FANG
04-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Same thing happened to my SM5 last Sunday. Mine is now in the shop having the electrical system checked and the 6000 mi service. I don;t care if it is just a relay - I paid too much for the :f_spider: not to have things checked out.

M2Wild
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
roflmao
-Scotty

Oh yeah .... I need to add the all purpose army duck tape that's good up to 100mph.:D

ataDude
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I do believe that the taillights/brakelights are a monitored function. When the fuse blew, that caused an error.

Now, the question remains... what caused the fuse to blow?

Well I have had my SE5 for two week and have 210 miles on it and only a Hindle exhaust upgrade and today it gave me a BIG SCARE. After about 15 minuets into a ride all hell broke loose on the dash, all the warning lights came on VSS DPS ABS and limp home mode was also on the dash. Stopped and did what I saw on the forum turned off bike and wait 5 min. After I did that all was fine till about a half mile when all came back, now I am thinking all that I have been reading about SE5 problems I now have them so I decided to limp home and was contemplating what my next move was to get bike to dealer of course I am boiled hot at this point that I got a 2009 hoping to minuets these problem and here I have them. So on the way home about a mile a cop stopped me now I am really MAD, he comes over and says are you aware you have no tails lights of course I am very surprise to hear this and I say I had no idea and began to tell him about my engine problem and showed him the messages on the dash he then says this bike is new you still have temp tags. I told him I was very close to home and he said ok I will follow you home and he did.

Now the good part after I am parked in my garage I said lets check the fuse and of course the rear lights fuse was shot so I changed it and I decided to check all of them front and back no more shot just the rear lights. After a few minutes I decided to start the bike to check the light and all message on display are now gone and I said this is very strange so I said let go for a ride and I did about 15 miles and up to 85mph and no more problem. I come home and just to satisfy me I put back the shot fuse and sure all the message came back again never in my life and having so many other toys have I seen that a bad fuse could effect other sensors and cause all warning light to come on. Should I be worried about a problem that might be there and waiting to hit me 100 miles from home,

should I take it to dealer and have them hock up computer and check the bike out or at least see what codes might be still there and clear them. I have to tell you I am now a bit afraid to go on a long ride now.

bone crusher
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Hope you get it fixed...darn SE5s...argh!!! Glad you're safe!

Dudley
04-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Hope you get it fixed...darn SE5s...argh!!! Glad you're safe!

This problem was a FUSE. Had nothing to do with it being an SE5. I, as an SE5 owner would really appreciate it if you would keep your negative comments about our Spyders. You have an SM5, and that's great. If you have had no problems, good for you and your Spyder. I have over 6800 miles on my SE5 and it's been nothing but awesome. I am sure there are many of us SE5 owners who feel the same. When we post on here, it's to share a problem and seek information, or to disclose something that we found out that may help others. Yes, sometimes we are a bit frustrated, but it doesn't help when you "pull your chain" as you call it, and make fun because we have an SE5.