PDA

View Full Version : Wiring the GPS?

8LEGS
04-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Ok, I finally purchased a garmin zumo 550. Found a great deal for 400.00. I have it mounted to the handlebar right now with the ram mount. Having absolutely no experience in wiring ........ how in the world do I hook this thing to the battery? Thanks all.

Tina

zzneonzz
04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Mine is just run down the console and under the panels and directly to the battery. Pretty Easy just find the way you want to route your wiring and attach it to the battery.

nyfdtsdemt
04-02-2009, 08:49 PM
WHAT EVER YOU DO ............DO NOT TAP THE HARNERSS GO TO THE BATTRY OR ADD A POWERBUS!
:agree:

Greg H.
04-02-2009, 08:51 PM
WHAT EVER YOU DO ............DO NOT TAP THE HARNERSS GO TO THE BATTRY OR ADD A POWERBUS!
:agree:

Here we are! All together - Again! Hi Nate! Yes Folks! That's our Spyder's in my Signature!

I also wired directly to the battery. :thumbup:

As you are looking at the photo; that's zz on the right, Nate in the middle, and me on the left; backed up to the Tennessee River, just down from the Shiloh Civil War Battleground.

John in PA
04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Actually, if you'd like switched power near the front end of the bike it's perfectly OK to tap the wires that feed the optional 12V plug accessory socket in the top left of the front trunk compartment. The wires can be found inside a rubber boot zip-tied in a space in the steel frame just behind the top left of the trunk. you need to pull the trim panel to the left of the trunk to access. The relatively new Posi-Taps work better than the old scotch taps as they can be easily removed with no damage to the wire.
The Zumo wire is marked pos and neg, and the wire colors for the accessory plug can be found on the wiring diagram for the Spyder (It's been a while since i did this job, sorry I forget BRP's wire color)

This tap absolutely WILL NOT mess with the Canbus system, as it's designed for variable load, I. E. whatever you plug into the socket! Power stays on for about 20 sec after ignition is switched off, then dies. Prevents someone from walking by and turning on your GPS (or your own forgetfulness) and running your battery down. I'm using this source for my Zumo, and also to trip the relay for my driving lights (Just the relay--main light power comes from the harness hard wired to the battery)

Make sure there is a fuse in the slot for switched accessory power, as marked in the fuse box. If I remember, I had to add one, they appear to be optional equipment, like the socket.

wyliec
04-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Mine is just run down the console and under the panels and directly to the battery. Pretty Easy just find the way you want to route your wiring and attach it to the battery.

I did mine the same way. You will need a powerlet outlet or some other means of connecting to 12v. I installed the type that is wire tied to another wire or harness. I also use the powerlet to connect a battery tender.

Here are the powerlet p/n's-

PAC-002 10" powerlet to cigarette socket
PPC-018 Battery tender & Yusa charging cable
PKT-003-48 Powerlet Socket Battery Harness 48"

nyfdtsdemt
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
YOU ARE 100 RIGHT.......THAT 12V IS PERFECT FOR TAPPING.......AS WELL AS THE BATTERY!

NancysToy
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I wired two Powerlet sockets into the dash. A Powerlet adapter cord lets me plug in my Lowrance XOG GPS there. I also have an auxiliary fuse block (powerbus) and I am a big fan of those. If you expect to add more electrical accessories later, it is not a bad idea.
-Scotty

sleepman
04-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Actually, if you'd like switched power near the front end of the bike it's perfectly OK to tap the wires that feed the optional 12V plug accessory socket in the top left of the front trunk compartment.

:agree:did my Zumo the same way and haven't had any trouble with it.

DragonSpyder
04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Do we need to use a powerlet outlet or can we just splice the wires together?

NancysToy
04-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't know about the Zumo or others. The Lowrance XOG uses a mini-USB 5 volt input, so you need an adapter.
-Scotty

zzneonzz
04-03-2009, 09:37 AM

The Zumo should come with a cable that can be connected directly to a power source so you don't have to use an outlet but if your going to splice into anything on the spyder i would say only splice into the 12v adapter or get a power bus to allow for more switched connection. Or you can do like most have done and run direct to the battery.

8LEGS
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks all, I would like to just go directly to the battery. How do I do that? Is there some kind of connector I need to get?

Greg H.
04-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks all, I would like to just go directly to the battery. How do I do that? Is there some kind of connector I need to get?

I just used one of those wire loop connectors (on the + and the -). And, I soldered the Zumo wire to it to assure a good connection. :thumbup:

Have a look here.........
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8ce38b3127ccec5331e39bdf100000040O08AZtmbZq0aMw e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

8LEGS
04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Is there a certain order I need to connect .... + first or - first?

zzneonzz
04-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Is there a certain order I need to connect .... + first or - first?

Disconnect batter negative first then possitive then when reconnecting it reverse this and do possitive first then negative

retread
04-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Make sure you put a fuse in the + side.

john

NancysToy
04-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Make sure you put a fuse in the + side.

john
Small fuse if that's all you're feeding. 3 amp should be plenty, smaller is even better, but they can be harder to find. Your Zumo instructions may specify a fuse size.
-Scotty

zzneonzz
04-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Small fuse if that's all you're feeding. 3 amp should be plenty, smaller is even better, but they can be harder to find. Your Zumo instructions may specify a fuse size.
-Scotty

It should have come pre fused with a 3amp fuse already on the line about 6" from the area it attaches to the battery