PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

Semper Fi
10-10-2016, 03:28 PM
do we need to burn this in our gas tanks to beat the Ethanol and, is this a battery tender hook up? I think it is a hook up but, I am not sure. I used the Ethanol beater stuff in my FJR with every tank. It ran great until the day I traded it in on the F3-S that I now have.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/semperfi_03/1007161807.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/semperfi_03/media/1007161807.jpg.html)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/semperfi_03/1010161515.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/semperfi_03/media/1010161515.jpg.html)

papanorm
10-10-2016, 03:48 PM
Yes to both questions, that is your battery tender hookup direct to your battery. I always add Startron Enzyme fuel treatment to the tank to counteract the effects of ethanol.
Congrats on the new Spyder!

youngers
10-10-2016, 03:53 PM
not sure of the gas treatment , but do not pull the cap off the 2 nd photo , that starts the self destruct codes :roflblack: ... just messing with you ! the 2nd one , mine has this connection but also blinks , yellow while it is powering down , computer , or what ever the high pitch noise is , after that goes green ! but it looks a lot like yours ... now the gas part , I keep my cycle in garage during all weather , this being my 1 st winter , I should not have problems it is sort of heated , { never had problems with my 2 wheeler in here } and I pull them out weekly start them and let them run a bit , { get a bar , on the temp side at least } then pull it back in when the fumes leave the exhaust region .. I would say it will depend on where it is stored and how much winter riding you might do ... not too forget the water , radiator coolant mix

Semper Fi
10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Mine, when I park it for the winter will be in the garage without heat. I will, and would have, mixed some fuel stabilizer with the gas anyway. I just wasn't sure if that was a battery tender hook up or not. Thanks for all of your help.

youngers
10-10-2016, 04:09 PM
now the other question , what kind of battery tender goes with this hook up attachment ?

Semper Fi
10-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Good question. I have a "Battery Tender". I have had it for several years now.

lou49
10-10-2016, 04:51 PM
now the other question , what kind of battery tender goes with this hook up attachment ?

I'm not an expert, but any 12 volt battery tender will do! The ones I have bought come with the clamps to jump start straight to a battery and also come with the necessary connector to hook up with what you already have on your bike!
All auto parts have them, also you can find them on amazon and eBay! Use it all the time the bike is park in my garage!

youngers
10-10-2016, 04:54 PM
I'm not an expert, but any 12 volt battery tender will do! The ones I have bought come with the clamps to jump start straight to a battery and also come with the necessary connector to hook up with what you already have on your bike!
All auto parts have them, also you can find them on amazon and eBay! Use it all the time the bike is park in my garage! will give them a look at ! just in case I can`t get it out for a ride ! thanks lou

Bob Denman
10-10-2016, 05:10 PM
No... and yes!
Ethanol won't kill your dog, make your kids leave home, cause a divorce, or even damage your Spyder. nojoke
All that it will do: hurt your fuel economy a little bit.

If you've got a 998, and it will sit for a week: use a Battery Tender
If you've got a 1330: you're safe for at least a Month's worth of idle time. :thumbup:

EDIT: After reading your profile; I see that you've got a 2015 F3-S. :clap: :2thumbs:
You're safe to let it just sit for all but the longest times.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-10-2016, 08:05 PM
I use Startron, The chemical make-up adds +1 octane in addition to canceling the Alcohol !!!! ..... I hope ......Mike :thumbup:

Tango
10-10-2016, 08:08 PM
Yes, and yes. Also try to fill up with pure gas if you can find it. It really makes a difference. :thumbup: Tom :thumbup:

Snowbelt Spyder
10-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Good question. I have a "Battery Tender". I have had it for several years now.

Well, that does appear to be the harness for the Deltran brand of Battery Tender. I guess that would be THE Battery Tender. And yeah, that square thing in the harness is a fuse. I have that exact harness on my lawn mower.

http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/Ring-Terminal-Harness.html

I use that Lucas Oil Ethanol treatment. Every fillup 1oz. per 5 gallons, I believe. Supposed to have some cleaning properties along with the ethanol treatment properties...or maybe that's just marketing. But, it hasn't hurt anything and it's cheaper than a fuel injector.

http://www.fuelsystemguide.com/what-is-the-best-ethanol-fuel-treatment/

Of course, for long term storage over winter, you'll want something more, like the Sta-Bil product.

Check out the PA stations that sell ethanol free gas. There's places in Middleburg and Millheim.

http://www.pure-gas.org

Bfromla
10-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Fyi there are many ways to fight Ethanol some find it best to just get
"E-free" gas
http://pure-gas.org. It has helped my MPG i may add some Seafoam once a month or so but I dont feel the need to add some every tank. :barf:
The connector should very well be connected to your battery. Possibly by the dealer :thumbup:, do suggest you check the voltage & terminals for proper connections. Commonly the side of plug covered in plastic
(called female connector) should be the +positive side of the battery(also closer to where it connects to the battery should be a 5Aor less Fuse)The other more exposed side (male) is the -negative side. The connectors are readly available & usually provided on most "battery tenders" /maintainers made for quick disconnection. Good luck:rolleyes:

jaherbst
10-10-2016, 11:31 PM
IMHO it's all "Snake Oil milked from Arizona Diamond Back Rattle Snakes"! :joke: Don't waste your

money! The only thing I add to my gas is more gas.

Jack

Bob Denman
10-11-2016, 07:11 AM
:agree:

5Wheels
10-11-2016, 07:16 AM
I had to clean out a friend's garage after his passing. I found 3 different brands of battery maintainers and they all had the same type of connector that you have pictured. None of them were the "Battery Tender" brand.

KX5062
10-11-2016, 10:52 AM
IMHO it's all "Snake Oil milked from Arizona Diamond Back Rattle Snakes"! :joke: Don't waste your

money! The only thing I add to my gas is more gas.

Jack

And, how many carburetors have you replaced because of the modern E10 gasoline? How many petcock valves?

I'm up to 3 full carburetors and about 6 petcocks. (Between my and my buddies' bikes that I work on for them.) Yes, the new formula E10s will eat away at the brass and aluminum within the petcock valves. It also dissolves the plastic screens inside the valves too.

Fuel injected systems are not as susceptible to damage because they are a closed system and not exposed to the ambient air.

It ain't snake oil, it's science and chemistry. ;)

Bob Denman
10-11-2016, 01:57 PM
But how many carburetors have you replaced on modern fuel-injected engines? :dontknow:

The stuff will NOT hurt your Spyder! nojoke

WackyDan
10-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Your engine is designed to run with ethanol blended fuels. If you aren't going to be riding for more than a couple of months, then you should add an ethanol specific fuel stabilizer to the tank following the product directions.

Additionally... If you are storing long term it is better to have less ethanol blended fuel in the tank than a full tank. Reason is the alcohol content in the gas loves to absorb moisture, so the more of it in the tank the worse off things will get in long term storage.

In the days before ethanol, the advice would have been to fill the tank.

KX5062
10-13-2016, 09:02 AM
But how many carburetors have you replaced on modern fuel-injected engines? :dontknow:

The stuff will NOT hurt your Spyder! nojoke

You ARE kidding right???

(FI engines do not have carburetors)

Bob Denman
10-13-2016, 09:06 AM
You ARE kidding right???

(FI engines do not have carburetors)

How long did it take you to figure out this?
You were complaining about having to replace carburetors...
It's just never going to be an issue with the Spyders. nojoke

jcthorne
10-13-2016, 09:24 AM
The battery tender connection is a pretty standard one. Many brands use that type.

When looking for a battery tender for your bike, be sure to select one that is intended for AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) type batteries. They need different charging and float voltages than normal liquid filled batteries.

On the gas additive thing, just stick with high quality top tier gasoline, 91 octane or higher and you will be just fine in your spyder.

Gray Ghost
10-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Fuel injected systems are not as susceptible to damage because they are a closed system and not exposed to the ambient air.

The tank is still vented, condensation will still form and be absorbed by the alcohol causing phase separation of the gasoline.

The stuff will NOT hurt your Spyder!

Granted that we don't have all the carb parts to be clogged up by ethanol gunk, the gas is still subject to phase separation. The longer it sets the worse your bike will run, if at all, when you come out of storage.

... If you are storing long term it is better to have less ethanol blended fuel in the tank than a full tank. Reason is the alcohol content in the gas loves to absorb moisture, so the more of it in the tank the worse off things will get in long term storage.

In the days before ethanol, the advice would have been to fill the tank.

It is even more critical to fill the tank now. The greater the area of open steel tank, the more condensation will form. More water to combine with the ethanol.

On the gas additive thing, just stick with high quality top tier gasoline, 91 octane or higher and you will be just fine in your spyder.

Whether it is 87 or 91 octane, E10 still has ethanol which will phase separate in your tank when stored for a long period.

DrewNJ
10-13-2016, 04:17 PM
You all must be storing your machines in a root cellar to get all this condensation...😂
Ride more, worry less.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
10-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Thank you! :agree:

Deanna777
10-13-2016, 06:31 PM
now the other question , what kind of battery tender goes with this hook up attachment ?I use Deltran Battery Tender Jr.( Switches Automatically from Charge to Float).

I have been using it for 4 years. Can be used on Motorcycles, Cars, Lawn tractors, ATVs, Snowmobiles, Boats.

It has Reverse polarity protection ensures safety, Spark proof, 12 ft. output cord, Weight:1 lb., Size: 3.5/16X 2 5/16 X 1 7/8 Plastic enclosure, Input: 115Vac@ 60Hz, Output: 12Vdc @ 750 mA.

Batteries are constantly maintained and ready to go!

12 Volt 750 mA

My current spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna

jcthorne
10-14-2016, 07:56 AM
The tank is still vented, condensation will still form and be absorbed by the alcohol causing phase separation of the gasoline.

Granted that we don't have all the carb parts to be clogged up by ethanol gunk, the gas is still subject to phase separation. The longer it sets the worse your bike will run, if at all, when you come out of storage.

It is even more critical to fill the tank now. The greater the area of open steel tank, the more condensation will form. More water to combine with the ethanol.

Whether it is 87 or 91 octane, E10 still has ethanol which will phase separate in your tank when stored for a long period.

The OPs question was WRT ongoing use of the additive. Not winter storage. A fuel additive is suggested for winter storage no matter ethanol or not. But for normal use where the spyder is not sitting for months at a time, no additive is needed.

KX5062
10-15-2016, 09:57 AM
How long did it take you to figure out this?
You were complaining about having to replace carburetors...
It's just never going to be an issue with the Spyders. nojoke

Keyboards don't always translate humor and since you're not into turning wrenches there is some doubt about your knowledge base.

Since you didn't seem to have understood where I was coming from, I must have been unclear. So, I will try to clear it up for the benefit of anyone who is reading this thread.

You are correct our Spyders do not have old style carbs, however, saying it will "never" be an issue would not seem to be factually correct. I pointed out my personal experience with the real world damage that can and does occur due to the modern gasoline formulas.

Gasoline is blended toward one major goal in mind (I'm not speaking about the business model and the corn lobby). Clean air. While this is commendable, I think there should be some other goals in mind, like storage and corrosiveness, etc.

You and others believe that gasoline blended with alcohol is okay, others do not. I'm sort of in the middle, but strongly leaning toward the bad idea camp.

I've personally seen, as I cited earlier, damage caused to fuel systems on motorcycles caused by modern E10 gasoline blends. Those were carburated systems and while there are significant differences, they are very similar. Similar enough in my mind to give me significant pause about the long term effects on all fuel systems.

The motorcycle garages I hang around in are seeing more and more significant damage to ALL fuel systems with the use of gasoline with alcohol blends. Here in California, for whatever reason(s) that damage has significantly increased within the last 5 years or so. What change? I have no proof, but I have a strong suspicion that with the change in Washington about 8 years ago now and the take over of federal agencies by radical environmentalists, this likely to have driven this increase in problems related to fuel blends.

I am not a petroleum engineer, just a guy who spins a lot of wrenches sometimes for money sometimes for fun and have been playing around with this stuff for over 50 years now, so this is my opinion nothing more. :ani29:

Firefly
10-15-2016, 12:01 PM
do we need to burn this in our gas tanks to beat the Ethanol and, is this a battery tender hook up? I think it is a hook up but, I am not sure. I used the Ethanol beater stuff in my FJR with every tank. It ran great until the day I traded it in on the F3-S that I now have.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/semperfi_03/1007161807.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/semperfi_03/media/1007161807.jpg.html)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/semperfi_03/1010161515.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/semperfi_03/media/1010161515.jpg.html)

No to the first question. Not needed.
Yes to the second.

Bob Denman
10-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Keyboards don't always translate humor and since you're not into turning wrenches there is some doubt about your knowledge base.

Since you didn't seem to have understood where I was coming from, I must have been unclear. So, I will try to clear it up for the benefit of anyone who is reading this thread.

You are correct our Spyders do not have old style carbs, however, saying it will "never" be an issue would not seem to be factually correct. I pointed out my personal experience with the real world damage that can and does occur due to the modern gasoline formulas.

Gasoline is blended toward one major goal in mind (I'm not speaking about the business model and the corn lobby). Clean air. While this is commendable, I think there should be some other goals in mind, like storage and corrosiveness, etc.

You and others believe that gasoline blended with alcohol is okay, others do not. I'm sort of in the middle, but strongly leaning toward the bad idea camp.

I've personally seen, as I cited earlier, damage caused to fuel systems on motorcycles caused by modern E10 gasoline blends. Those were carburated systems and while there are significant differences, they are very similar. Similar enough in my mind to give me significant pause about the long term effects on all fuel systems.

The motorcycle garages I hang around in are seeing more and more significant damage to ALL fuel systems with the use of gasoline with alcohol blends. Here in California, for whatever reason(s) that damage has significantly increased within the last 5 years or so. What change? I have no proof, but I have a strong suspicion that with the change in Washington about 8 years ago now and the take over of federal agencies by radical environmentalists, this likely to have driven this increase in problems related to fuel blends.

I am not a petroleum engineer, just a guy who spins a lot of wrenches sometimes for money sometimes for fun and have been playing around with this stuff for over 50 years now, so this is my opinion nothing more. :ani29:

But modern construction methods and materials; already take into account what ethanol can do...
It'll never harm your Spyder...

Just because I can no longer turn wrenches; it doesn't mean that I suddenly forgot everything that I ever learned...