PDA

View Full Version : Benefit of bright/extreme colour riding gear

rleathen
04-02-2009, 11:26 AM
I am in the market for a new jacket and like the look and features of the Scorpion XDR Commander 3/4 length jacket Click here to view. (http://gpbikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_132_140&products_id=277) The optional neon lime green is sorta growing on me as well. While I can understand the need to be visible to everybody else just how well does the neon type colours actually work. I know a few people that will wear the flourescent orange vests when then ride to make themselves more visible.

I would hate to spend the money on the jacket and look like a walking/riding neon green traffic cone if the extreme colour really does not do much.

Thanks for your opinions.

NancysToy
04-02-2009, 11:45 AM
In my opinion the hi-vis colors really do stand out. In a ride you can spot these guys in your mirrors, or just glacing out of the corner of your eye, way quicker than you can see their bikes. In crowds of thousands of motorcycles and riders at Vintage Motorcycle Days, they stand out like sore thumbs. I seem to remember a study years back that showed the lime-green, hi-visibility color was the very most visible to the human eye. The city I worked for painted all their vehicles that color.

Of course you're still going to look like a traveling traffic cone, but you certainly are more likely to be seen. :yikes:
-Scotty

Roger
04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I think i would wear it it seems to me to be very versatile. I have to admit that i would wear it on cooler days although that collar is removeable and has different vents and armor. when i ride at night i put the halo on my helmet not sure if it helps but does not hurt. In case you don't know what it is it's a 2" wide neon rubberband that goes around the base of a fullface helmet. :coffee:

SpyderRider2492
04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I use a simple item I was given, a very visable bright orange and white reflective plastic type waistcoat item (like you see used by state roadworks workers) that just slips over my leather jacket. I think they sell them at the Ex Service stores. It folds down so small you can put in your pocket its so light. I always use this when out at dusk and at night, it reflects well so I don't care what it looks like for the added safety these days and it picks up the slightest light source plus I get to keep my collection of jackets I already own..

Trickie Dick
04-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I am in the market for a new jacket and like the look and features of the Scorpion XDR Commander 3/4 length jacket Click here to view. (http://gpbikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_132_140&products_id=277) The optional neon lime green is sorta growing on me as well. While I can understand the need to be visible to everybody else just how well does the neon type colours actually work. I know a few people that will wear the flourescent orange vests when then ride to make themselves more visible.

I would hate to spend the money on the jacket and look like a walking/riding neon green traffic cone if the extreme colour really does not do much.

Thanks for your opinions.

As I said on the other forum, I do love my Olympia in Hiv-viz. I don't look like a traffic cone though-more like Big Bird, since I'm 6'6". :D

DocSporseen
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Before (And during...) the accident, I wore a bright yellow Icon Timax 2 jacket. Pretty darned visible. After the accident, one of the shops sent me a Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket in Hi-Viz yellow since the Timax was destroyed (If they hit me, it's because they were aiming, not because I was invisible - dear Lord, the Transition's are BRIGHT!!!). People really do notice the bright colors, and if (Like the Transition) it has reflective strips, it just adds to the safety margin at dusk. One of the good things the military has done, too, is require reflective vests after dusk, and I own both Icon's and Scorpion's versions. They're both really visible no matter what time of day or night, and can only add to your margin of safety.

Since I have easy access to it, I also add reflective tape in various colors to my rides in spots that don't have lighting. It'll be interesting to find places on my Spyder when I finally get it.

bone crusher
04-04-2009, 09:36 PM
One reason I got the Millennium Yellow Spyder was due to the bright color...I look like a bumblebee on it, but that's fine...should be quite visible.

I'll be looking to get a group of people together for an impactjackets.com order sometime in May/June...when I have a little more time.

The factory is in Silver Spring, MD...about 30 min. from me...I'll go, talk with the owner, and try to work something out for us...

I'm not sure anything will beat a jacket with an airbag built-in!!!!

FANG
04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I wear a hi-vis yellow military spec vest when ryding my :f_spider:. I have had the vest for about 1 month and I can tell you I know I am more visible with the vest than without. It is mesh so I don't get hot with it on. :clap:

wyliec
04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
One reason I got the Millennium Yellow Spyder was due to the bright color...I look like a bumblebee on it, but that's fine...should be quite visible.

I'll be looking to get a group of people together for an impactjackets.com order sometime in May/June...when I have a little more time.

The factory is in Silver Spring, MD...about 30 min. from me...I'll go, talk with the owner, and try to work something out for us...

I'm not sure anything will beat a jacket with an airbag built-in!!!!

I keep checking and they are still out of alot of the smaller sizes, like 44 and below. I don't believe that they keep selling out. So, what's up with that? I'm interested in a group buy.