PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Charges for Brake Pad Replacment?

solidgranite
10-04-2016, 03:02 PM
I have a 2012 Spyder RT SE5 on its way to me, and was told that it needs front and rear brake pads replaced. What the typical Can Am dealer charge for this? I can't do it myself, so will have to rely on a Spyder dealer's service department. I do know some excellent auto mechanics, but they don't have any knowledge of Spyders at all, so I don't think they'd be a good choice for replacing the brake pads. About how much can I expect the dealer to charge me?

Copperman
10-04-2016, 03:09 PM
I have a 2012 Spyder RT SE5 on its way to me, and was told that it needs front and rear brake pads replaced. What the typical Can Am dealer charge for this? I can't do it myself, so will have to rely on a Spyder dealer's service department. I do know some excellent auto mechanics, but they don't have any knowledge of Spyders at all, so I don't think they'd be a good choice for replacing the brake pads. About how much can I expect the dealer to charge me?

Call them and ask their service department.

NM Wrench
10-04-2016, 07:25 PM
I needed it done last December and the dealer charged almost 900 dollars to do the front and rear brakes!

SteveLaoyster
10-04-2016, 07:47 PM
I needed it done last December and the dealer charged almost 900 dollars to do the front and rear brakes!

OUCH!!!!!!!
Disc brakes shouldn't cost so much. I've done brakes on almost all the vehicles I've owned & have found most disc brakes are very easy. Just have to take time to do it right the first time.

spyderryder53
10-04-2016, 08:00 PM

I HAVE A 2014, I`M GETTING MINE DONE THIS WEEK DEALER QUOTED ME 357.00 PARTS LABOR AND TAX
YOU MUST HAVE NEEDED CALIPERS FOR THAT PRICE.
LEON

oldguyinTX
10-04-2016, 08:05 PM
The BRP brake parts price for just the front -pads & roters - not including labor - is about $650.00. You can get better pads/roters from BajaRon (a site sponsor) for $275.00, but ask your dealer if they will install them. Mine will, but not all dealers will. If you can't do it yourself (and I certainly can't) make sure that your dealer will before you buy the parts

NM Wrench
10-04-2016, 08:05 PM
No I didn't! Many dealer is a rip off. That was replacing 3 sets of pads and cleaning the calipers

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

NM Wrench
10-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Mine is also a 2014

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Sarge707
10-04-2016, 08:32 PM
What is the mileage? My 2012 RT has 16,000 Miles and when I just replaced the tire the Rear Brake Pads were still about 65% there so I will recheck in 10,000 miles?
Maybe they are trying to sell you something you "Do Not Need?"
Now if it has 30,000 then they are probably right!~

SpyderAnn01
10-04-2016, 08:36 PM
If you don't need new rotors it should be about 2 hours labor.

Bfromla
10-04-2016, 09:26 PM
OUCH!!!!!!!
Disc brakes shouldn't cost so much. I've done brakes on almost all the vehicles I've owned & have found most disc brakes are very easy. Just have to take time to do it right the first time.

&

The BRP brake parts price for just the front -pads & roters - not including labor - is about $650.00. You can get better pads/roters from BajaRon (a site sponsor) for $275.00, but ask your dealer if they will install them. Mine will, but not all dealers will. If you can't do it yourself (and I certainly can't) make sure that your dealer will before you buy the parts

:agree: & with it being a 2012 finding the older style pads at Ron's will help a lot:thumbup:
But check if the dealer will install first, some can be real punks on items they cant mark the price up on!:barf: There are some how to vids for DIY hopefully you wont need rotors too, but Ron has great prices for them too:2thumbs:

Motorcycledave
10-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Go to the dealers parts buy thebrake pads
go home pull up the how to video on this forum
on how to install brake pads and do it your self...
That is by far one of the easiest repairs you ccn do
$900 to to it is THEFT they are just taking advantage
of people
Ride Safe
Dave

QUOTE=solidgranite;1188314]I have a 2012 Spyder RT SE5 on its way to me, and was told that it needs front and rear brake pads replaced. What the typical Can Am dealer charge for this? I can't do it myself, so will have to rely on a Spyder dealer's service department. I do know some excellent auto mechanics, but they don't have any knowledge of Spyders at all, so I don't think they'd be a good choice for replacing the brake pads. About how much can I expect the dealer to charge me?[/QUOTE]

solidgranite
10-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks, everyone...even though the range of dealer charges is huge, I have some idea of how much to expect to pay. I'll call the local (60 miles away) Can Am dealer, and see if they'll give me an estimate. When I've asked for info in the past, they said they'd have to dismantle the trike before giving me any dollar estimates. But this is straight forward...front and rear brake pads ONLY. I won't let them "up-sell" me on anything else, regardless of what they say. If they're are insanely expensive, I'll call the next closest dealer (125 miles away), and see what they say.

Again, thanks for the info!

jerpinoy
10-05-2016, 11:59 AM
I pays to learn how to change your brake pads. Good luck. So far I have replaced my pads and rotors to all my vehicles.

Sarge707
10-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Thanks, everyone...even though the range of dealer charges is huge, I have some idea of how much to expect to pay. I'll call the local (60 miles away) Can Am dealer, and see if they'll give me an estimate. When I've asked for info in the past, they said they'd have to dismantle the trike before giving me any dollar estimates. But this is straight forward...front and rear brake pads ONLY. I won't let them "up-sell" me on anything else, regardless of what they say. If they're are insanely expensive, I'll call the next closest dealer (125 miles away), and see what they say.

Again, thanks for the info!

How many miles on the Bike? They may be trying to charge you for something that does NOT need to be done? How Many Miles?

John Moody
10-05-2016, 09:35 PM
had my front and back pads replaced last week and cost me $363 for pads, labor, and tax. had close to 24000 miles on 2014 rt limited.

otter28169
10-05-2016, 09:44 PM
New pads have between 3.5mm and 4.0mm of pad on them. Ask the dealer to show you the pads before they are replaced. I have had my pads since new (44k) and I have not had to replace them. Many newbies get talked into pads they do not need. And the brake pads may honk and or squeek at times (in reverse mostly)and that is not always a sign they are bad either.

Just sayin'............

John Moody
10-05-2016, 09:45 PM
can am dealer (Ride 1) said pads are $80 per pair and .5 hour labor per wheel (labor $99 per hour) plus tax, total cost $363.00

solidgranite
10-07-2016, 09:13 AM
After reading all the replies, I've decided to buy the pads from BajaRon, and have them installed by a friend of mine who's very experienced with Harley's and other bikes. I'll watch the video to see how its done, then bring the Spyder to his house for the work. I'll watch as he does everything so next time, I'll be able to do it myself. I have a copy of the manual, and it outlines the procedure, so I can track the steps as we do it.

The Spyder has 52,000 miles, so this may be the 2nd or 3rd set of pads. We'll check the rotors once the calipers and pads are out of the way. Hopefully, they won't need replacing, too.

pegasus1300
10-07-2016, 11:12 AM
After reading all the replies, I've decided to buy the pads from BajaRon, and have them installed by a friend of mine who's very experienced with Harley's and other bikes. I'll watch the video to see how its done, then bring the Spyder to his house for the work. I'll watch as he does everything so next time, I'll be able to do it myself. I have a copy of the manual, and it outlines the procedure, so I can track the steps as we do it.

The Spyder has 52,000 miles, so this may be the 2nd or 3rd set of pads. We'll check the rotors once the calipers and pads are out of the way. Hopefully, they won't need replacing, too.

If you do need the rotors BajaRon has those as well and they are higher quality then the OEM ones and less money.

BajaRon
10-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Dealer pricing on labor varies greatly. 1.5~2.0 hr. is more than fair. You don't need a Spyder mechanic to do this work. Any decent mechanic can do it. It's not brain surgery. Many owners do their own brake service. The 2008-2012 models wear the rear pad at about twice the rate of the front pads. So you usually need a full set changed only every other brake service. Most people change their pads with about 1/2 the service life still left in them because they don't realize the service limit is 1mm (about 3/4 the width of a dime).

WOW! That's outrageous! Were they wearing masks? Check the Post Office for mug shots of your service department!

otter28169
10-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Dealer pricing on labor varies greatly. 1.5~2.0 hr. is more than fair. You don't need a Spyder mechanic to do this work. Any decent mechanic can do it. It's not brain surgery. Many owners do their own brake service. The 2008-2012 models wear the rear pad at about twice the rate of the front pads. So you usually need a full set changed only every other brake service. Most people change their pads with about 1/2 the service life still left in them because they don't realize the service limit is 1mm (about 3/4 the width of a dime).

WOW! That's outrageous! Were they wearing masks? Check the Post Office for mug shots of your service department!

That is why we love Dave, he knows what he sells, and he is an honest business man.

Just sayin'............

solidgranite
10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
I've clicked on the BajaRon banner, and checked out the pads (and potentially the rotors) for my 2012 RT. I'm going to buy what I need from him, and have my mechanic/biker friend do the work. I couldn't ask for better recommendations than the ones you've given BajaRon and his selection of parts. I'm a new Spyder owner, and need to rely on the wisdom and experience of you folks. THANK YOU! Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

solidgranite
10-29-2016, 01:53 PM
How many miles on the Bike? They may be trying to charge you for something that does NOT need to be done? How Many Miles?

The Spyder has over 50,000 miles, and I was told by a professional bike inspector (before I bought it) that the pads were at about 10%, and would need to be replaced. I've felt the rotors, and they feel fine...no dimples, no ridges, no rough edges. I think all I need is the pads replaced.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-29-2016, 02:23 PM
New pads have between 3.5mm and 4.0mm of pad on them. Ask the dealer to show you the pads before they are replaced. I have had my pads since new (44k) and I have not had to replace them. Many newbies get talked into pads they do not need. And the brake pads may honk and or squeek at times (in reverse mostly)and that is not always a sign they are bad either.

Just sayin'............
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:: agree::agree::agree:..........and so does BAJARON and sells them ..... Mike :thumbup:

R FUN
10-29-2016, 03:00 PM
I too recommend Bajaron. I also have a 2012 RTL and also my riding buddy. Bought all our break shoes and oil filters from him,GREAT guy and GREAT service.
On the 2012 changing breaks is quite easy.
Roger

PapaHotel
10-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Just remember, if you watch your friend, that he will charge more, so bring the beer.....lol

solidgranite
10-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Just remember, if you watch your friend, that he will charge more, so bring the beer.....lol

Beer would be a good start on payment for the "lessons", but I'd need to add a couple of foot long subs into the deal! :-)

solidgranite
10-30-2016, 01:35 PM

Just sayin'............

I'm pretty confident in the guy who told me the pads need to be replaced. And since I'm planning on some long touring trips next spring and summer, its a good idea to get them changed out now. I've contacted Bajaron, and gotten the info on the ECB pads for my model and year. If the Can Am dealer will install them, I'll pay them labor. If they won't, I have a friend who's been working on bikes (mostly Harleys) for decades, and he says he can do it.

I WILL measure the old pads once they're removed...just to see how much is left of them. :-)

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-30-2016, 02:06 PM
The Spyder has over 50,000 miles, and I was told by a professional bike inspector (before I bought it) that the pads were at about 10%, and would need to be replaced. I've felt the rotors, and they feel fine...no dimples, no ridges, no rough edges. I think all I need is the pads replaced.
In regards to the above ....last year I brought my Spyder to be inspected by a LICENSED ( by St of Vt.) MTC INSPECTOR ..... He informed me that my brake Pads needed replacing because they were worn to much and He wouldn't issue an Inspected Sticker ...... HE DIDN'T take the calipers OFF .... just looked at them while they were on the Spyder ....... I knew He was jerking my chain..... I took my Spyder elsewhere and it was inspected .........PS those same Pads are still on my Spyder 8,000 + miles and are still good because I have checked ........Mike :thumbup: