PDA

View Full Version : Locked key in Frunk 2011 RT

rworell
10-04-2016, 01:34 PM
So I tug on the cable after removing the left side body panel and the Frunk still won't budge. Any thoughts... Stranded

Bob Denman
10-04-2016, 01:48 PM
This picture shows how to hook up another cable to the frunk latch...
Can you go in from the right side, and push on the back side of it with something? :dontknow:

Bob Denman
10-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Here's another picture of the latch...

I think if you can get a long enough screwdriver: you can push on the latch from the right-hand side of the bike...

AeroPilot
10-04-2016, 02:41 PM

I think if you can get a long enough screwdriver: you can push on the latch from the right-hand side of the bike...

I think the lid will flex enough to let you slide the dowel rod in towards the center and push on the lever by the UPC code in Bob's picture.

Then, whenever you have downtime, you can rig a 18" fishing leader from the left side with a pull ring as suggested by BlueKnight I believe..

rworell
10-04-2016, 02:51 PM
Omg!!! Thank you. I reached in, found the lever and released the latch! So appreciate this!!

QUOTE=Bob Denman;1188305]Here's another picture of the latch...

I think if you can get a long enough screwdriver: you can push on the latch from the right-hand side of the bike...[/QUOTE]

Bob Denman
10-04-2016, 05:12 PM
:clap: :thumbup:

When you have a chance: get yourself the correct unchipped keyblank, and have it cut to fit in your locks. Hide it someplace accessible, and then you can always get to where your "real" keys have been left to hide.

An Ilco X-270 works great!

RTL1330
10-04-2016, 11:29 PM
I got a spare flat plain key cut for my Spyder. Won't start it but gets into the frunk and trunk.
keep it in my wallet for when I lock keys in trunks. Lol

Lin
10-05-2016, 05:52 AM
Glad you got this resolved. I had a fear of doing this, too. I have a cord attached to the latch and routed to a spot easily accessible behind a removable panel.

cptjam
10-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Pull the cable at the left speaker opening. Only tool needed is a dime to pry the speaker cover off! In fact, if everyone tried this at home, and practiced once or twice, that would be great! I usually do one a rally😃

GA_Spyderman
10-05-2016, 01:35 PM

I drilled a hole in that lever and attached a cord to it, then routed it over to the plastic grill inside the left fender. Tied a small "handle" to the cord. Now, it's there, in case I ever need to use it; just a tug on the cord and I'm in. :2thumbs:

ThreeWheels
10-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Am I missing something here ??

You only have one key to your Spyder ?????

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Am I missing something here ??

You only have one key to your Spyder ?????
Many of us travel with only one key in our hands. The spare is at home. However, in my case I have a second spare hidden behind the passenger seat back but to get to it requires a bit of a rigamarole!

Peteoz
10-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Many of us travel with only one key in our hands. The spare is at home. However, in my case I have a second spare hidden behind the passenger seat back but to get to it requires a bit of a rigamarole!

.......and that's probably the best way to set it up, Idaho.......knowing it's a rigmarole to get the spare makes you a bit more careful with your main key, but if you do lose your main, then having to chase down the spare will make you even MORE careful of your main in future..... ..ouch.....my head hurts:trike:

Bob Denman
10-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Many of us travel with only one key in our hands. The spare is at home. However, in my case I have a second spare hidden behind the passenger seat back but to get to it requires a bit of a rigmarole!
When I'm riding local, or on a day-trip: I carry just one key, and keep an un-chipped spare in a handy place
When I'm out on the road for a while: a second chipped key is dropped in the top trunk (underneath the liner).

marty1096
11-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Left gym threw bag in drunk after stupidly tossing keys in bag. Cost 300. Free ride to house, broken back window special low ,E, glass = 250 glass replacement + 50 for not catching alarm before it went to police. Because of course the alarm company called my cell and no ans cause phone was in gym bag in frunk with keys to bike and house. This happened 2 weeks ago. New plan put another key somewhere on bike and put a coded garage door opener box on outside of garage and somewhere in garage hide a house key. Will not be caught doing this again!😞

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-24-2016, 10:30 PM
Left gym threw bag in drunk after stupidly tossing keys in bag. Cost 300. Free ride to house, broken back window special low ,E, glass = 250 glass replacement + 50 for not catching alarm before it went to police. Because of course the alarm company called my cell and no ans cause phone was in gym bag in frunk with keys to bike and house. This happened 2 weeks ago. New plan put another key somewhere on bike and put a coded garage door opener box on outside of garage and somewhere in garage hide a house key. Will not be caught doing this again!😞

PM me and I'll tell you how to make a simple hidden Frunk release ......... Mike :thumbup:

marty1096
11-24-2016, 10:52 PM
I have tried to pm you and for some reason cannot. I saw someone on u tube with a wooden dowel to open the frunk.