PDA

View Full Version : Rear drive belt

FIRECAT
10-04-2016, 07:06 AM
What's The most miles or KM's any of you have done on a rear drive belt before it exploded or you just changed it before it would break? I am at 50,000 KM/31,000 miles I have no issues yet but I do not Want it breaking on a big trip! So who's got the highest miles on these belts, Lamont it's probably you???

Chupaca
10-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Personally I have seen over 90,000. Mine is at 35 and good as new. Most of what i have seen or heard was changing due to damage from debris....:thumbup: so at 31 you have a long way to go ...relax and enjoy your ryde....:ohyea:

Aracknoid
10-04-2016, 07:51 PM
With proper tension and alignment the belt should last well into the 100's of thousand of miles.

I know of many HD riders running belts for 20 years, no wear problems, just maintaine within specs.

Good Luck

oldguyinTX
10-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Mine id at 20 K, looks just like new. It is made by Gates here in the good old USA and is really tough. I hate to say this, but HD (if you remember) was the first motorcycle manufacturer to use a belt for the final drive, rather than a chain. And guess who made it? Belts last a long time, and with zero maintenance compared to a chain. Shaft drive, different issue.

Peter Aawen
10-04-2016, 08:50 PM
..... I hate to say this, but HD (if you remember) was the first motorcycle manufacturer to use a belt for the final drive, rather than a chain. .....

Hmmm, that's probably not quite correct unless you preface 'motorcycle' with something like 'modern' - or follow 'manufacturer' with 'since before WWII'..... simply because most early motorcycles (ie, those made back around 1900, give or take a few years) used leather or reinforced rubber belts of some sort for their final drives - it wasn't really until at least 10 or so years later that chains started to became the predominant choice that they remained as from about 1920 until the HD Cruiser driven 'Belt Revival' in the mid-late 1980's.... :thumbup:

Buut, even waaay back then, belts have always lasted pretty well (probably because early motorcycle engines were so small &/or gutless!) and these days, with the advent & inclusion of Kevlar & similar 'strengthening' materials in their construction, belt lives of 80,000 or even 160,000 miles aren't all that uncommon! Many (if not most) riders will never need to experience the joys (& frustrations) of changing a drive belt, especially if they spend just a little time & effort on the cleaning & maintenance of their 'bike or Spyder! :yes:

FIRECAT
10-06-2016, 06:36 AM
Hmmm, that's probably not quite correct unless you preface 'motorcycle' with something like 'modern' - or follow 'manufacturer' with 'since before WWII'..... simply because most early motorcycles (ie, those made back around 1900, give or take a few years) used leather or reinforced rubber belts of some sort for their final drives - it wasn't really until at least 10 or so years later that chains started to became the predominant choice that they remained as from about 1920 until the HD Cruiser driven 'Belt Revival' in the mid-late 1980's.... :thumbup:

Buut, even waaay back then, belts have always lasted pretty well (probably because early motorcycle engines were so small &/or gutless!) and these days, with the advent & inclusion of Kevlar & similar 'strengthening' materials in their construction, belt lives of 80,000 or even 160,000 miles aren't all that uncommon! Many (if not most) riders will never need to experience the joys (& frustrations) of changing a drive belt, especially if they spend just a little time & effort on the cleaning & maintenance of their 'bike or Spyder! :yes:
Well you think these belts last forever I disintegrated mine on my 2008 GS spider at 23,000 miles but the problem was the front sprocket was all worn out and cause premature failure did this happen anybody on the 2008? BRP wants you to buy two new sprockets and drive belt every 25,000 miles they did in 2008 not too sure on the new ones any comments on that

Aracknoid
10-06-2016, 05:51 PM
When we bought my wifes 2008 GS SE5, the manual said the belt will last the lift of the motorcycle, damage not included.

SO far, so good.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-06-2016, 07:13 PM
it wasn't really until at least 10 or so years later that chains started to became the predominant choice that they remained as from about 1920 until the HD Cruiser driven 'Belt Revival' in the mid-late 1980's.... :thumbup:

I had a 1982 or '84 Kawasaki 440 LTD back about 1987 that had a belt drive. I believe Kawa offered both belt and chain back then.

Peter Aawen
10-06-2016, 07:49 PM
I had a 1982 or '84 Kawasaki 440 LTD back about 1987 that had a belt drive. I believe Kawa offered both belt and chain back then.

You are right! :thumbup: I'm sorry, I'd forgotten about them! :opps:

There were probably also a few other belt drive motorcycles made between the 20's & the Mid 80's that probably qualify, I have a vague recollection of a 650 BMW with a belt drive being made/sold back around the early 80's too, but that might've been a limited edition or purely local thing - my forgettory is working better as time goes by & everything else starts to fail! :sour:

Still, you gotta admit that from around WWI until about the mid-80's, chains were the more commonly used drive option for 'bikes/trikes, with drive-shafts filling the next most commonly chosen slot, & belts coming a remote 3rd. But the significant points are that belt drives for 'bikes & trikes have been around for a long time, & that with reasonable care & attention to whatever maintenance the manufacturer specifies, plus a bit of care & attention to where you ride, some can last a helluva long time & obviously well beyond 25K!! There's an ancient 'bike (100 years old or so!) in one of the nearby Motor Museums here in Oz that is apparently still on its original drive belt after 100 years plus & doing a couple of laps of the globe!! I betcha it's used a helluva lot of leather dressing in its time?! :shocked: And while BRP might've erred on the side of (ultra-conservative? or just arse covering?) caution in the early days of Spyder production, they seem to have slackened the controls a little on a few things as they've learnt more about how safe & forgiving these things can be. :thumbup:

PistonBlown
10-06-2016, 11:30 PM
You are right! :thumbup: I'm sorry, I'd forgotten about them! :opps:

There were probably also a few other belt drive motorcycles made between the 20's & the Mid 80's that probably qualify, I have a vague recollection of a 650 BMW with a belt drive being made/sold back around the early 80's too, but that might've been a limited edition or purely local thing - my forgettory is working better as time goes by & everything else starts to fail! :sour:

You're absolutely right it was the BMW F650 with a Rotax single engine but they didn't bring out the belt version until 2000 or so. It had some really weird styling with these sweeping bits on either side of the tank (Which was fake as the real petrol tank was under the seat) and little bug headlights and a single sided swinging arm.

Firefly
10-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Well you think these belts last forever I disintegrated mine on my 2008 GS spider at 23,000 miles but the problem was the front sprocket was all worn out and cause premature failure did this happen anybody on the 2008? BRP wants you to buy two new sprockets and drive belt every 25,000 miles they did in 2008 not too sure on the new ones any comments on that

On the early model Spyders they had the belt tension far too tight and this caused belt and rear sprocket issues. While they have recommended replacing the sprocket(s) along with the drive belt should your drive belt fail, there is no recommendation of replacing these items every 25,000 miles.
Without external damage from road debris getting caught in the belt you should get hundreds of thousands of miles off the belt. I know many that are over 100,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIRECAT
10-15-2016, 07:09 AM
So. Anymore of you got some High mileage records on the drive belt to reassure me I do not need to buy one

Roadster Renovations
10-15-2016, 08:28 AM
Probably not very notable, but we have 33k on out '14 RT's belt with no problems. I do check it periodically for rocks, especially after on gravel or that couldn't avoid chipseal road. Another thing I make sure of is belt alignment. We just returned from Spyderquest and Spyder Adventures and I would guess 70% of the Spyders I saw there had the belt rubbing the rear sprocket.

Shifter
10-15-2016, 08:53 AM
So. Anymore of you got some High mileage records on the drive belt to reassure me I do not need to buy one

Yeah over 100,000 kms on my Victory belt, the last 50,000 with a central stone hole, if damage is central at cool but if it's on the edge you're on borrowed time.
I bought a spare a year ago just in case.
Engined down at the moment for gearbox work and fitting big bore forged pistons and S&S cams.
So I think I'd be wise to fit the new spare and keep my old ad a spare spare.
Expect the belt to last over 100,000 miles not kays
Victory belt same kevlar reinforced belt material as Spyder as well as HD.
It's yo stay off gravel roads and am wary of new chipseal at roadworks.

r1100rider
10-15-2016, 10:05 AM
What's The most miles or KM's any of you have done on a rear drive belt before it exploded or you just changed it before it would break? I am at 50,000 KM/31,000 miles I have no issues yet but I do not Want it breaking on a big trip! So who's got the highest miles on these belts, Lamont it's probably you???
Carry a spare I was able to zip tie one under the body work along the frame

FIRECAT
10-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Carry a spare I was able to zip tie one under the body work along the frame
Well thank you all for your input I was about to buy a Nother belt but what a waste of money I think I can get this one to hold together for at least one more year looking at the new 2018 tilting sport spider that will be released in Valcourt Quebec next June as the new 2018's will be an evolutionary New weapon! I believe all the spider patents may be expiring so you will see Yamaha Honda and BMW releasing their prototype three wheelers to the market for 2018 be prepared to be dazzled by the rest of the world with this why factor concept!