PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RS Spyder...been sitting for a long time...

jScotD
10-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Cranked it up..blue smoke rolled...rode down the driveway..it belched and quit..then only started periodically...now not at all..replaced battery..drained tank..put fresh gas in..when running..sounded like on one cylinder at times..have only checked one spark plug for fouling..didn't appear to be...removing panels..will go over with a fine tooth comb...also will crank over with out the brake being on....out in the yard right now as my garage entrance is on an incline and I only weigh 147 lbs...so I can't push it...shade tree mechanic time.....the inside was Spyder incrusted ...will clean every connection...oh ..automatic and it stopped working...any ideas would be appreciated..

TexasSpyder
10-03-2016, 07:31 PM
You may be suffering from the damned alcohol/gasoline, after it sits, it causes a lot of problems in your fuel system.

Chupaca
10-03-2016, 10:33 PM
At this point I would change the plugs (both), go iridium, replace the fuel filter and flush the tank. Pop the top on the air box and check the cleaner and the airways. shoot a bit of carb and choke cleaner into the trottle body. Change the oil and filters and add fresh gas with seafoam added. check coolant as well and when running let it get to operating temp...till the fan comes on. :thumbup:

jScotD
10-04-2016, 08:48 AM
I can smell fuel...am going to do all Chupaca said...but later have to get to work

Bob Denman
10-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Good luck, and I think that Gene has given you a good list of items to check out...
Please let us know what you find! :thumbup:

otter28169
10-04-2016, 06:27 PM
How long is "a long time"? How much oil is in it? How many miles? Original owner?

Just sayin'............

jScotD
10-04-2016, 07:14 PM
since i bought it new I had great expectations and life went into over drive.. 14 miles on it...although I am a little miffed as to..what has happened... it would always start and I would ride it up the road..not this time..I am in the process of removing panels.. and that huge air cleaner is in the way to remove the front spark plug...so I am going to replace it with something simpler..who makes the aftermarket air cleaner for this thing here..I remember reading about it...here....and.. something that kinda aggravates me... is the gas tank is rusting...I would have never known if this hadn't happened.....before I ordered on line what Gene spoke about...who here has what i need.. rather buy locally..Thanks .....Gotta get it into the Garage...this is going to be long and drawn out it looks like... I mean rust...on the gas tank? maybe that is how these things caught on fire.. the gas tank rusted through....

Highwayman2013
10-04-2016, 08:19 PM
since i bought it new I had great expectations and life went into over drive.. 14 miles on it...although I am a little miffed as to..what has happened... it would always start and I would ride it up the road..not this time..I am in the process of removing panels.. and that huge air cleaner is in the way to remove the front spark plug...so I am going to replace it with something simpler..who makes the aftermarket air cleaner for this thing here..I remember reading about it...here....and.. something that kinda aggravates me... is the gas tank is rusting...I would have never known if this hadn't happened.....before I ordered on line what Gene spoke about...who here has what i need.. rather buy locally..Thanks .....Gotta get it into the Garage...this is going to be long and drawn out it looks like... I mean rust...on the gas tank? maybe that is how these things caught on fire.. the gas tank rusted through....

Air Filter: http://spyderstore.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Highwayman2013
10-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Spark Plugs and such. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23928-New-sponsor-here-for-Filters-amp-Helmets

Sarge707
10-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Taking the air box off a 2012 RS is Not a Big problem-You can change the Plugs and Wires in an afternoon at your own pace.
Better with the air box on unless you want hearing LOSS?

jScotD
10-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Taking the air box off a 2012 RS is Not a Big problem-You can change the Plugs and Wires in an afternoon at your own pace.
Better with the air box on unless you want hearing LOSS?

i worked with a rock and roll band in the early 70's. as the sound man....I read lips a lot

jScotD
10-05-2016, 08:56 AM
It started this morning,,,idles erratically....then dies...still will start without putting the brake on...what with the rust on the gas tank..I am going to check every connection for corrosion ...and with it being torn down , might as well put a Baja Ron sway bar on

otter28169
10-05-2016, 12:10 PM
i worked with a rock and roll band in the early 70's. as the sound man....I read lips a lot

That is awesome, do we know the band? Can you post all the things you do so that I may learn through you? I know a little about these beasts and I am thinking about buying an 08 as a project bike.

Just sayin'............

jScotD
10-05-2016, 07:26 PM
That is awesome, do we know the band? Can you post all the things you do so that I may learn through you? I know a little about these beasts and I am thinking about buying an 08 as a project bike.

Just sayin'............

You wouldn't recognize the band...we did open for Sly and the Family Stone, REO Speedwagon , and Lynyrd Skynard.....and numerous dives...we set up in a cave a mile underground once...that was weird..and Auditioned for Heaven Lee...Kenny Rogers wanted us for his back up band...but we were too much into rock and roll..

jScotD
10-05-2016, 07:49 PM
......garage kept.....

otter28169
10-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Dang, you weren't kidding about the rust :banghead: Now when I take the bike apart this off-season I got one more thing I gotta check.

Any luck so far in getting it running?

Just sayin'............

jScotD
10-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Ordering from Baja Ron...Plugs and whatever else...I should not be able to crank it without the brake on..and it starts..from the looks of the gas tank...there is more corrosion somewhere..will take pictures...when I find something out of the ordinary

Bam Bam and Pebbles
10-06-2016, 03:21 AM

I know what you are talking about. I didn't work as a sound man but have been to enough bars moshing in the pit to know about the lip reading thing?

youngers
10-06-2016, 03:56 AM
mmmmmm western Kentucky ! was thinking more east and north , with the look of what seems to be salt residue on the hose line ? you close too the Mississippi river area ? not letting the spyder sit out side a lot have you ? as far as dew , or light fog , that surrounds every thing ... hope you get this running again , wasn t sure if this has electronic distributor ? oh!!!!!! garage kept sorry didn`t see that

BajaRon
10-06-2016, 09:26 AM
Rust on the outside of the gas tank is not a real problem. Easily remedied. Rust on the inside is a major problem. It will clog up your fuel filter in short order. If any gets by your filter it will play havoc with your injectors. You need to fix the rust issue inside your tank for sure. You can change fuel filters and the new one will just clog up again pretty quickly.

I am pretty sure there have been no tanks that rusted through or fires caused by this problem.

You need to change your oil and filters. Especially if you still have the original BRP filters in your Spyder. Those original filters were very bad quality and would disintegrate if left too long.