PDA

View Full Version : Side by side comparison of LED headlights

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Has anyone done a comparison of Lamonster's LED headlights against the Tricled LED headlights and the new Xenon Depot LED headlights for the RT?

I'm thinking of replacing the Xenon Depot LEDs I installed last spring. I'm not overly impressed by their light coverage. They light up signs way down the road but not the road close in. Aiming the lights doesn't seem to make much difference. XD is advertising a new generation of bulbs.

Bob Denman
10-03-2016, 05:05 PM
nojoke This would be an interesting comparison to see...
:clap: :bbq::popcorn::bbq::popcorn:
I've looked at the specs for Lamont's LEDs, and they should be brighter...

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-03-2016, 07:13 PM
I talked with Reggie at Red Rock about the Tricled LEDs. He said in developing the bulbs they found the fore and aft position of the LED to be quite critical to getting good beam coverage. Too far either way the beam was spread out and the two light beams you get from the LED configuration weren't merged properly. He indicated his were developed specifically for the RT headlamp. Lamont hasn't made it clear one way or the other, that I see anyway, but I think he may have had his designed for the RT headlamp. The XD bulbs are a "fits all" configuration of the HB3/9005 design from what I see on their web site.

Because it appears that for the RT headlamp an HB3 LED is not an HB3 LED is not an HB3 LED, and the light splay is significantly different from the incandescent bulb, is why I'd like to see a true comparison of them.

The XD LEDs in my RT project very definitively a double beam from each headlamp.

OverHillAndDale
10-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Perhaps we can go about this intentionally.

I live in Birmingham, AL and have the TricLED headlamps. If someone near me has the LaMonster let's get together and compare. I'll take pics and post them.

jcthorne
10-05-2016, 05:00 PM
I can tell you the difference between the ones Xenon Depot sells and the Lamonster ones are very slight with the nod to the Lamonster bulbs. I have the Xenon Depot ones in my F3 (installed some time ago before Lamont offered his) and Louise has the Lamonster bulbs in her new F3. Side by side you would be hard pressed to tell a difference looking at them. The Lamonster ones do have a slightly better beam pattern on the road.

chiptown
11-30-2016, 07:35 PM
I would like to know if anyone
has done the same test with HID verses the LED from Lamonster. I am about to change to LED but love the high output lights

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

jcthorne
11-30-2016, 07:44 PM
I would like to know if anyone
has done the same test with HID verses the LED from Lamonster. I am about to change to LED but love the high output lights

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Yes,

We had the HIDs in both of our 2013 Spyders and when I installed the LEDs in my F3 it was easy to compare against the HID. The HID is very slightly brighter. But just not worth the additional electrical noise that causes gremlins on these bikes nor the prolonged warm up time. HID is yesterdays news.

Bob Denman
12-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Have we had any direct comparison between Lamont's LEDs, and the ones from TricLEDs yet?
We're still looking for this one...

cptjam
12-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Perhaps we can go about this intentionally.

I live in Birmingham, AL and have the TricLED headlamps. If someone near me has the LaMonster let's get together and compare. I'll take pics and post them.
Do the Tric lamps have the fan at the bottom? The Xenon use a ribbon of steel mesh.

OverHillAndDale
12-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Yes, there is a small fan at the back of the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk