PDA

View Full Version : Noise when brakes applied?

Tomline
10-02-2016, 04:16 PM
I have a 2012 new to me RT with 6500+ miles on it. When I apply the brake I hear a click noise as though a relay of some type activates the brake. I hear it every time I step on the brake. It stops fine but I really wonder about this click. It's just a single click as soon as I step on the brake. I haven't seen this mentioned on here since I found this site so is this normal and no big deal or something I need to have checked. My local dealer has done a couple of repairs and at least three road tests & not mentioned this noise! Any ideas? Thanks

Brentc
10-02-2016, 04:35 PM
I have a 2012 new to me RT with 6500+ miles on it. When I apply the brake I hear a click noise as though a relay of some type activates the brake. I hear it every time I step on the brake. It stops fine but I really wonder about this click. It's just a single click as soon as I step on the brake. I haven't seen this mentioned on here since I found this site so is this normal and no big deal or something I need to have checked. My local dealer has done a couple of repairs and at least three road tests & not mentioned this noise! Any ideas? Thanks

I think that this is the switch that activates the brake light, but am not certain.

Bob Denman
10-02-2016, 04:59 PM
That's what it is: the brakelight switch! :2thumbs:
Stick your head down between the footpegs on the right side: you'll hear it even louder! :shocked:
(It's just on the other side of that side-plate...)

Trbayth
10-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Stick your head down between the footpegs on the right side: you'll hear it even louder! :shocked:

But not while you're riding! :)

SpyderAnn01
10-02-2016, 07:52 PM
You all must have super good hearing if you can hear that switch while you're riding.

trikermutha
10-02-2016, 09:21 PM
You all must have super good hearing if you can hear that switch while you're riding.

:agree:. Maybe something else going on there

cptjam
10-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Brake light switch clicks. At least, the ones that work do!!

Tango
10-03-2016, 08:26 AM
What they said. :chat: Tom :spyder:

Bob Denman
10-03-2016, 08:33 AM
But not while you're riding! :)

:shocked: I just KNOW that I'm gonna get sued now... :banghead:
Someone is bound to try this out on the interstate... :gaah:

Chupaca
10-03-2016, 11:54 AM
The brake pads hang on pins and they slide back and forth on them. Many develop slight grooves so when you apply the brakes they hop over the grooves producing that clicking sound. Nothing to worry about also could be a slight warp on the disc that pushes the pads farther away from the disc so when the piston and the pad make contact you get a click. Just have it all inspected when you have your brakes changed....:thumbup:

AbNormy
10-07-2016, 02:37 AM
Helps to deglaze the pads periodically and make sure they're floating freely on pins and use some antisqueal on backs of the pads so they stay quiet. I'm on my 3rd set of rears 2ND fronts and real happy with the galfers I got at the Cota track last year they're sintered but for the last 3 months it's been parked while I recuperate from rotator cuff surgery June 29. PT is kicking my ass lemme tell you

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk