PDA

View Full Version : After travel info thru out europe summer 2017

wheels4u
10-02-2016, 09:05 AM
THE SUMMER OF 2017, LOOKING TO SHIP MY 09 SPYDER SPORT TO AMSTERDAM AND THEN GO FROM THERE. WONDERING ABOUT BREAKDOWNS AND AVAILABLE REPAIRS THRU OUT SWEDEN, FRANCE, LONDON, PARIS, ROME, ITALTY, ETC W/C ACCOMONIDATIONS, BREAKDOWN TIME FRAME TO COMPLETE SIMPLE REPAIRS. ANY AND ALL INFO WOULD BE HELPFUL,

THKS

WHEELS, FT LAUDERDALE, FL

Cindy-TricLED
10-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Nice! [emoji106] I hope your plans come into fruition and share the pictures with us here.. I've visited these countries and they are just awesome!
But please be careful of all pick pockets and vehicle-jackers in Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PrairieSpyder
10-04-2016, 08:10 AM
:agree: That sound like an epic adventure!

Perhaps our European members will chime in. Aren't there mods required for Spyders to be road-legal there?

Markku
10-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Hello

I am a Finnish guy and I have been driving in the Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norvay and Finland) and in Europe, not a lot by motorcycle, but by car.

Welcome to Europe, if you are thinking to drive in Sweden I suggest you drive the Baltic round. You could drive from Holland through Germany to Denmark Frederikshavn and then by ship to Göteborg in Sweden and from there you drive to Stockholm, from Stockholm to Turku in Finland by ship, and from there by driving to Helsinki, and from Helsinki by ship to Tallinn in Estonia, and from Tallinn through the Baltic (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) to Poland, and back to the Central Europe.

Also, I with my friend would be intended to make European tour with bikes, substantially the same round but in addition to France and Switzerland, Poland, and the time would be same as the Le Mans race.

Greetings from I and my Spyder RT

mcalva
11-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Spain is Europe too! :D

Nice travel. For us, in the south of Europe travel to NorthKapp is the all bikers dream.

Have a good tryp!

Bfromla
11-10-2016, 02:43 AM
:agree: That sound like an epic adventure!

Perhaps our European members will chime in. Aren't there mods required for Spyders to be road-legal there?
:clap::firstplace::lecturef_smilie: Know there are some alterations to the blinkers & possibly fog lights:dontknow: Seen that mentioned here before. Other worries to mention are out of country insurance coverage:lecturef_smilie: Id have to make a through plan ahead of routes & dealers for repairs along those routes find out about roadside assistance coverage & all the other lil quirk's involved & spare gas(petro) containers & if any restrictions or not.
Also this being on the enabled thread know there will be more to consider & endure.

PrairieSpyder
11-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Hello

I am a Finnish guy and I have been driving in the Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norvay and Finland) and in Europe, not a lot by motorcycle, but by car.

Welcome to Europe, if you are thinking to drive in Sweden I suggest you drive the Baltic round. You could drive from Holland through Germany to Denmark Frederikshavn and then by ship to Göteborg in Sweden and from there you drive to Stockholm, from Stockholm to Turku in Finland by ship, and from there by driving to Helsinki, and from Helsinki by ship to Tallinn in Estonia, and from Tallinn through the Baltic (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) to Poland, and back to the Central Europe.

Also, I with my friend would be intended to make European tour with bikes, substantially the same round but in addition to France and Switzerland, Poland, and the time would be same as the Le Mans race.

Greetings from I and my Spyder RT

:welcome:

Highwayman2013
11-10-2016, 08:55 AM
Check out the UKSPYDERWEB on facebook.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-10-2016, 11:11 AM
IMHO - If you can get it over there and unloaded and through CUSTOMS - the equipment you have or don't have isn't going to matter to any Police you come across......... They have bigger problems to worry about ....Just make sure what you have is ALL working before you leave................Good luck and have great adventure ............. Mike :thumbup:

tmcquain
11-10-2016, 11:25 AM
WOW.....Sounds like a great trip, be careful and have FUN !!

JimVonBaden
11-10-2016, 11:45 AM
For temporary use in the EU you do not need to modify your bike so long as it is still stock for emissions purposes. Lights and other mods are generally fine. If you were moving there, that would be different.

Enjoy Europe, it is a blast! I have been from Amsterdam to Lisbon, and love it all.:clap:

ARtraveler
11-10-2016, 12:16 PM
:welcome: Sorry but cannot give good information about Euro travel, repair shops, etc. It sounds like a great adventure. Please keep us posted. :yes:

OJ UK
11-10-2016, 06:21 PM
You are going to, very possibly, run into problems with European Traffic Cops!
The US spec. Spyder does not pass muster in the UK or Europe. The direction indicators
MUST be amber/orange and have around 18 inches separation and be equidistant from the
centre of the machine. The "shutter" type low beam is not acceptable. Euro/Uk Spyders use the existing
headlights for high beam and the foglight position for low/dip beam. Be aware that if you're importing
your bike from the US (which you obviously are) it may well be inspected for basic compliance on arrival.139975

JimVonBaden
11-10-2016, 06:23 PM
You are going to, very possibly, run into problems with European Traffic Cops!
The US spec. Spyder does not pass muster in the UK or Europe. The direction indicators
MUST be amber/orange and have around 18 inches separation and be equidistant from the
centre of the machine. The "shutter" type low beam is not acceptable. Euro/Uk Spyders use the existing
headlights for high beam and the foglight position for low/dip beam. Be aware that if you're importing
your bike from the US (which you obviously are) it may well be inspected for basic compliance on arrival.139975

He isn't importing the bike permanently, just temporarily. He should have no issues, especially since he is avoiding left side drive countries.

OJ UK
11-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Sorry! I have to disagree with you. He is free to ship his bike to Europe but will not be permitted to drive it on a public
road with red flashers that are so close together. Europe has never permitted red direction indicators. The Scandinavian/ German police
especially are very hot on these issues. The on-the-spot fines are very high and they can insist that you don't drive the machine any further
until the required modifications are made. The headlight issue is less serious but if the cops spot the indicators they will check the headlights also.

billybovine
11-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Sorry! I have to disagree with you. He is free to ship his bike to Europe but will not be permitted to drive it on a public
road with red flashers that are so close together. Europe has never permitted red direction indicators. The Scandinavian/ German police
especially are very hot on these issues. The on-the-spot fines are very high and they can insist that you don't drive the machine any further
until the required modifications are made. The headlight issue is less serious but if the cops spot the indicators they will check the headlights also.

He is taking a 09 so it has amber rear turn signals.

JimVonBaden
11-10-2016, 08:03 PM
This has not been my experience. I wonder how all those around the world bikers manage, and how so many of my friends have ridden their bikes all over Europe, having sent them from the US with no mods. Oh, and the vast numbers of military riding US specced bikes and cars in Europe for years. Hmmm

Al least in the USA we do not penalize people for bringing their bikes here for a ride.

spyderherb
12-17-2016, 03:47 PM
WOW!!! Sounds like a great trip. Be safe and enjoy. Germany is beautiful, as is France and Italy:yes::yes::yes: