PDA

View Full Version : Dispolay Screen totally Black when turning on the Key 2015 RTS

noboot
10-01-2016, 09:18 PM
When I turn the ignition on, total black, no display at all on my 2015 RTS. Horn works, emergency blinkers work, parking break works on and off, fender lights come on ,,,, any ideas ??? I have charged the battery over night and it's at full charge.
If it's a blown fuse which one as I have checked all and cannot see any blown.

loisk
10-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Is it worth popping the gauge cluster and checking for loose or corroded etc connections?
Weve been caught on spyder with fuses that look ok but aren't- put in a new one for the fun of it, and all was good.

billybovine
10-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Check fuse J4 40 amp in the left box and F1 15 amp in the left fuse box. No relays in that circuit.

noboot
10-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Found it, it was a Fuse the 10am Wakeup TCM fuse. Once replaced it was all good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

billybovine
10-01-2016, 11:01 PM
So F7 was the culprit. I ruled that out because it went to the parking brake switch and you said the parking brake worked. So I looked again and released it powered the parking brake switch light and not the switch. I should have looked closer.

Chupaca
10-02-2016, 12:01 AM
and here I thought it had something to do with your handle....:roflblack: glad you found the problem. It is always nice to solve your own problems...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-02-2016, 09:02 AM
and here I thought it had something to do with your handle....:roflblack: glad you found the problem. It is always nice to solve your own problems...:thumbup:

:agree:, and I'm glad to hear that "noboot", is no longer a problem with your bike! :D

finless
10-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Fuses shouldn't blow for no reason..... I would check for a chaffed harness or something.

Bob

noboot
10-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Fuses shouldn't blow for no reason..... I would check for a chaffed harness or something.

Bob

Bob, I would say it was me fitting a digital clock where my fuel gauge was. I did look about to make sure something else wasn't earthing out.

Cheers

ponchatoula
11-25-2016, 11:29 AM
I have a 2012 RTS SE5. On a short ride when I go to re start, the display screen is blank but it still starts. I replaced the battery and still the same problem. When I take it off the maintainer or go on a long ride, everything is fine when I go to restart. Any ideas?

billybovine
11-25-2016, 11:57 AM
Are you parking in the sun?

I have a 2012 RTS SE5. On a short ride when I go to re start, the display screen is blank but it still starts. I replaced the battery and still the same problem. When I take it off the maintainer or go on a long ride, everything is fine when I go to restart. Any ideas?

Bob Denman
11-25-2016, 02:30 PM
Are you parking in the sun?

While I agree with you that overheating the LED screen Is a possibility; wouldn't that be more of a Summertime problem? :dontknow:

JimVonBaden
11-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Bob, I would say it was me fitting a digital clock where my fuel gauge was. I did look about to make sure something else wasn't earthing out.

Cheers
Yup, I popped that fuse twice when fitting the switches for my fogs and heated grips.

blanmgr
11-29-2016, 12:55 PM
I had the same issue about 2 months ago on my 2015 RTS. I only thought the issue was leaving the bike parked in direct sunlight (not a cloud in the sky).

I came out after the bike was parked in direct sunlight (about 6 hours) and turned it on then noticed the screen was "nearly completely black". After about a few hours, the screen came back gradually. I refuse to leave it parked in direct sunlight (happened a couple other times too) or I would use my helmet bag to cover the screen from the sun. I have about 6 months left on my warranty to have it checked out.

Has anyone experience that before?

LV

billybovine
11-29-2016, 01:00 PM
I had the same issue about 2 months ago on my 2015 RTS. I only thought the issue was leaving the bike parked in direct sunlight (not a cloud in the sky).

I came out after the bike was parked in direct sunlight (about 6 hours) and turned it on then noticed the screen was "nearly completely black". After about a few hours, the screen came back gradually. I refuse to leave it parked in direct sunlight (happened a couple other times too) or I would use my helmet bag to cover the screen from the sun. I have about 6 months left on my warranty to have it checked out.

Has anyone experience that before?

LV

I would think most people have. Just pull out that useless Safety Card that nobody reads. That will shade the display.

Bob Denman
11-29-2016, 01:03 PM
:agree: It's such an easy fix to this "Non-Problem"... :thumbup:

blanmgr
11-30-2016, 11:05 AM
I would think most people have. Just pull out that useless Safety Card that nobody reads. That will shade the display.

Now I should have thought of that, Thanks. I guess that is a common thing about the LCD screen being affected by direct sunlight.

LV