PDA

View Full Version : Starting The Farkling - How Do I...

NaDSoB
10-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Hi guys!

I've just started adding some farkles to my (new to me) 2015 RT. First time digging into my Spyder and I'm a little intimidated by all the bodywork there is to remove. If you're able, could you please give me some advice on how to add the following items?

First I've got a GearBrake module that plugs into the wiring for my brake light. It'll modulate my brake light as I stop or decelerate. So, the instructions say I need to get into the left rear quarterpanel, but they don't say how. How do I remove the appropriate panel? Is that where I'll find the brake light wiring?

Second, I've got a Shockwave horn (the newest version of The Screaming Banshee) that replaces the stock born and also wires in to the highbeam of the headlight so it'll modulate when the horn is activated in an appropriate situation. Where's the horn located, and how do I get to it? Is the headlight wiring anywhere nearby? How do I identify the highbeam wire?

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm looking forward to the farkling and (especially) the ryding!!

Rob

Chupaca
10-01-2016, 04:30 PM
sorta...this leads to many more..hard to explain how to for all you are doing. I would start by searching the videos here and on you tube for similar jobs if not the exact same. I know you will find the full body panel removal which will get you where you need to be then follow the instructions for the product...:thumbup:

JayD
10-01-2016, 06:12 PM
I have found the best tool for almost work on the Spyder is YouTube. I was amazed how much info is there.

youngers
10-01-2016, 06:18 PM
BEEEEE careful with new installs of electrical and or lighting assemblies ! have watched a few videos where just adding rear tail lights disabled the whole electrical systems ... so do a lot of home work ... would be a job for some one who has knowledge in electrical harness ,and trouble shooting ! good luck hope it works well for you ... I know the horn is a bit weak on mine also... some times taken photos do help in assemblies

robmorg
10-01-2016, 07:22 PM
There is a forum section for DIY instructions (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?4-DIY-or-How-To-Step-by-Step). A search on "panel removal" there will yield at least two videos on panel removal for the RT. Also Lamont has a lot of videos on his Lamonster Garage site (http://lamonstergarage.com/).

NaDSoB
10-02-2016, 02:05 AM
Thanks, so far. Looking forward to what more of you have to say.

I think I've found a thread on installing the GearBrake unit, so any help regarding the horn replacement with high beam hookup would be much appreciated!

Copperman
10-02-2016, 03:28 AM
Thanks, so far. Looking forward to what more of you have to say.

I think I've found a thread on installing the GearBrake unit, so any help regarding the horn replacement with high beam hookup would be much appreciated!

I'm not sure you can hook up the horn to the high beam. The high beams on the RT is really just an opening of a shutter.

The horn is just inside the left side cover. That's the cover that's down by your left foot. It takes a second to pop it off, then look inside and you'll see the horn. It's a pretty easy install to replace it with an air horn. I'd also add a plug n play wiring harness with an inline relay.

NaDSoB
10-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the pointers, guys. I got the GearBrake installed and it works great. I'm not thrilled with the way I've mounted the accelerometer to get it level, so if anybody's done that in a particularly secure way, please chime in.

So, now I've got to do the Shockwave Horn. Mounting it in place of the old horn is a piece of cake, but I've got to run a positive wire up to the battery from the new horn and a ground wire. Where's a good ground point? Routing suggestions, anybody, please?

Thanks in advance.

NaDSoB
10-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Both projects finished. Thanks for the help and advice!

Rob