PDA

View Full Version : Nancy's Options & Mods I

NancysToy
04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
OK, I have been hanging around under false pretences for a while. I like to act like I have done no mods to Nancy's Spyder. Some people have even asked why I have not, but it's not really true. We purchased several options when we got the Spyder. The first real mod was done in less than a week of ownership, and it's been a pretty steady diet ever since. Most things are for practicality rather than performance or looks, I will admit.

Options:
BRP 1" Riser
BRP Foglights
BRP 12 Volt Outlet
BRP Trunk Liner
BRP Tank Bag
BRP Seat Bag
Rear Sport Rack was purchased but returned since it won't hold bungees

Mods:
HyperLites
Throttlemeister
Trunk Popper Spring
Emergency Trunk Release
Starcom1 Communication System w/ FRS GMRS Radio bike-to bike
NMN Taillight
NMN Billet Rear Axle Caps
CHAD Windshield
Switched Auxiliary Fuse Block w/ Ground Buss
Switched and Unswitched Powerlet Outlets in dash
RAM Mount for GPS

First round of pics is attached.
-Scotty

NancysToy
04-01-2009, 03:57 PM
The Starcom1 comm system and first NMN goodies.
-Scotty

NancysToy
04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
The CHAD windshield, power goodies, and RAM.

.............and you guys thought I didn't have it in me to do a darned thing.
-Scotty

dltang
04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
It's about time you fessed up Scotty...LOL

docdoru
04-01-2009, 05:46 PM
You've been busy busy busy this winter! :congrats: for all mods :thumbup:

NancysToy
04-01-2009, 05:56 PM
You've been busy busy busy this winter! :congrats: for all mods :thumbup:
Actually, I did nothing this winter. Half is from last year and half from this Spring. We've owned the Spyder PE over a year now. I did finally just take the pics, though.
-Scotty

Roaddog2
04-02-2009, 03:51 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs: But you left the garage door open in one of the pics :joke:

NancysToy
04-02-2009, 05:32 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs: But you left the garage door open in one of the pics :joke:
The manual opener must be broken. :D
-Scotty

ataDude
04-02-2009, 06:12 PM
The manual opener must be broken. :D
-Scotty

And all this time, I thought you were just a Professor of theory. :2thumbs:

NancysToy
04-02-2009, 07:50 PM
And all this time, I thought you were just a Professor of theory. :2thumbs:
Nah, I do the real thing once in a while. My known weakness for unrestored, original motorcycles probably does come from being lazy, though. I have done restorations, but I prefer them "as-is". Maintaining this fleet alone keeps me quite busy. I would certainly draw the line at building 17 exhaust systems for my Spyder. Ho ho!
-Scotty

ataDude
04-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Nah, I do the real thing once in a while. My known weakness for unrestored, original motorcycles probably does come from being lazy, though. I have done restorations, but I prefer them "as-is". Maintaining this fleet alone keeps me quite busy. I would certainly draw the line at building 17 exhaust systems for my Spyder. Ho ho!
-Scotty

Now, that hurt. :D
http://projectebola.typepad.com/photos/goddamn_funny_pictures/ouch.jpg

NancysToy
04-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Got a new RAM mount for the GPS. I had a mount on the right handlebar, and that was OK. I was looking at the CHAD adjusting hardware, and figured a RAM ball could take the place of one of the knobs. This lets the GPS be in the center, above the gauges. Worked real well this morning when I rode. I have shown both positions in these pics.
-Scotty

docdoru
04-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Much better in the center :thumbup:

NancysToy
06-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Installed the NMN Mudflap lights a few weeks ago. They are great! I smile every time I look down and see them. Also installed one of his Green Filters. Great fit, and easier to slip in without completely removing the airbox cover. Today I finished the BRP GIVI bag installation. These are very nice, and will add a bunch of storage capacity. Between a rainsuit, compressor, tie-down straps, and the Pacsafe helmet bag, it was getting crowded up front. I like having enough room to stow away both a helmet and all the riding gear when we stop someplace.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Some Guy
06-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks good! :2thumbs:

SSPSpyder
06-18-2009, 12:08 PM
How difficult was the Givi bags install, Scotty?

NancysToy
06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
How difficult was the Givi bags install, Scotty?
It's time consuming. They estimate 2.5 hours, but with chasing tools and figuring out the missing directions, I took longer. Firefly's description (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11653) and photos helped. I decided to chase down a different bushing and locknut for the muffler in the middle. I also had a problem with the fit of the left rack, so I had to do some additional tweaking today. At the same time I took off additional panels plus the airbox top to install the NMN filter. Hard for me to give a realistic estimate as a result.

With the right tools, it is not hard, but painstaking and time-consuming. With just the BRP toolkit, probably impossible. Some of the spaces are very tight, and I had to use a ratcheting box wrench instead of a socket. Big hands would complicate this situation. If you are reasonably mechanically inclined, and have decent tools, you can easily do this.

NancysToy
07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Latest additions...BRP Comfort Seat, NMN/ESI 3" Risers, and added coil ground wire. I have posted my coments elsewhere. The seat is pretty, reasonably comfortable for me and great for Nancy. More importantly it moved her up and back just enough that her new bionic knee can bend easier. That necessitated the NMN/ESI risers, which she had resisted, even after she could no longer scoot forward on the seat. The feel is totally different with the risers...in a very good way! The seat seems to provide better support in the turns now, too. Coil wire made no difference on an SM5, but I was in the neighborhood.

BumbleBee
07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow, you have been busy :congrats:

NancysToy
07-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Just repleaced the white lens backing on the GIVI bags with one made from chrome tape. $5 for a roll in the automotive department. The chrome reflects stronger in the sunlight, making the lens look more like the reflective strip BRP added to their bags. The picture doesn't really show that well, but does show how much more reflective the strip is as compared to the lens. Not sure of the effect at night, yet, but the old lens pretty much disappeared, so it can't be worse.