PDA

View Full Version : How many keep a Spyder and a 2-wheel motorcycle?

jbim
04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Last year I had two bikes. I crashed one. I am left with a 2007 BMW R1200R. I must decide whether I will farkle it for touring or keep it as is and buy something else for touring. I've been lurking around this site since my accident because of the added safety of the third wheel. You see, my crash occurred in a construction zone where the asphalt had been ripped off/grooved. I haven't tried a Spyder yet but I will. I do want to keep the 2-wheeler. What is the experience of those who keep both a Spyder and a 2-wheeler. Is it confusing? In particular, do you forget to lean in a corner when back on the two-wheel? Do you try to brake with the right grip instead of the foot pedal? For those who have the semi auto trans, do you forget to clutch when back on the 2-wheel? etc.

Any info will help.

Thanks

JG

crazycanuck
04-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Me me me....Spyder and CBR1000RR (will be replaced by a V-Rod soon)

to answer your question; I got used to the foot brake pretty quick and really don't find it a difficult transition when switching over to either ride

opticat
04-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Spyder, Ducati 1098, and H-D Road King! Gotta have those 2-wheelers, although lately they've been getting a bit of rest because of the Spyder!

Dudley
04-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I can't ride but one at a time, so I only keep one. Since we bought the Spyder, I have never had any reason to be sorry I didn't keep my Nomad. The Spyder is much more versatile for the kind of riding we do.

NancysToy
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a whole herd of bikes of every variety. Some shift left, some shift right, foot brakes right or left, and even one rear brake on the handlebars, both automatic clutches and manual. I have been switch hitting for decades, due to the variety that seems to follow me home. I seldom have a problem switching around, although I pay real close attention for the first few miles, and always test the brakes a few times going down my street to the main road.

My road bike is a BMW R1100RT but I ride my wife's Spyder frequently. I have had no difficulty forgetting either to countersteer and lean the bikes, or to steer and shift body weight on the Spyder. Different critters. No different than driving a different car or switching from bikes to cars and back, IMO. Every motorcycle rider should use both brakes, not just the front. If you normally do that, the worst thing that will happen is you will grab some air on the Spyder in a quick stop once in a while. Testing the brakes and thinking consciously about them for the first few miles also helps familiarize you quickly.

I have never ridden an SE semi-automatic, so I can't speak to that. I would expect no problems riding the SE Spyder, since that hand has other things to do now, and at worst you can only "grab air" like with the brake. I will admit that in riding my wife's Trail 90 with an auto clutch and a rear brake handle where the clutch lever should be, that I have tried to throw myself over the handlebars a few times. Just looks too familiar, I guess. That's the only one I have trouble with. I suppose it depends a bit on how much you ride, your habits, and experience, but I sure haven't had any significant problem with switching around a lot.
-Scotty

Lamonster
04-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Last year I had two bikes. I crashed one. I am left with a 2007 BMW R1200R. I must decide whether I will farkle it for touring or keep it as is and buy something else for touring. I've been lurking around this site since my accident because of the added safety of the third wheel. You see, my crash occurred in a construction zone where the asphalt had been ripped off/grooved. I haven't tried a Spyder yet but I will. I do want to keep the 2-wheeler. What is the experience of those who keep both a Spyder and a 2-wheeler. Is it confusing? In particular, do you forget to lean in a corner when back on the two-wheel? Do you try to brake with the right grip instead of the foot pedal? For those who have the semi auto trans, do you forget to clutch when back on the 2-wheel? etc.

Any info will help.

Thanks

JG

If you look at it like driving a 4wheeler and not a motorcycle you'll do just fine. I did add a hand brake to mine because of my years of training to use the front brake first. :doorag:
Still love my bike. :thumbup:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3458

crazycanuck
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
stop riding that thing like its a sport bike :shocked:looks like the right peg is going to cause some sparks:yikes:

Peoriafirefighter
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Any info will help.

Thanks

JG

I have a Chopper and bought a Spyder for my wife. I liked it so much I bought another Spyder. I ride the Chopper for short rides but ride the Spyder on the longer rides. It is fun for touring and for cornering hard.:spyder:

sabunim5
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Ride them both every week. :2thumbs:

ataDude
04-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Haven't ridden my tricked out Valkyrie since I bought the Spyder. :yikes:

nickcaro
04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't own a car so its easier to have both.

This week I traded in the Buell 1125r for a BMW F 800 GS.

Spyder is awesome, but it will never take the place of being on two wheels.

John in PA
04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I have a whole herd of bikes of every variety. Some shift left, some shift right, foot brakes right or left, and even one rear brake on the handlebars, both automatic clutches and manual. I have been switch hitting for decades, due to the variety that seems to follow me home. I seldom have a problem switching around, although I pay real close attention for the first few miles, and always test the brakes a few times going down my street to the main road.

I have had no difficulty forgetting either to countersteer and lean the bikes, or to steer and shift body weight on the Spyder. Different critters. No different than driving a different car or switching from bikes to cars and back, IMO. Every motorcycle rider should use both brakes, not just the front. If you normally do that, the worst thing that will happen is you will grab some air on the Spyder in a quick stop once in a while. Testing the brakes and thinking consciously about them for the first few miles also helps familiarize you quickly.
I suppose it depends a bit on how much you ride, your habits, and experience, but I sure haven't had any significant problem with switching around a lot.
-Scotty

My situation is similar to Scotty's. Many bikes in the stable, many years riding two wheelers, three wheelers, 4 wheelers, sidecar rig. Bikes with all different shift patterns. right side, left side, heel brake, toe brake, heel/toe shifter, automatic. Some of them, especially "right side grand prix shift (1 up/3 down)/left side heel brake" require a bit of deliberation, and I probably wouldn't jump on one and go right into heavy traffic, but there's a "mode" that you adopt for the vehicle you're on, kind of like turning on a switch for a given skill set. A few minutes in the saddle and things are pretty much automatic.
If you're relatively new to either vehicle, I'd encourage you to PRACTICE the skills that will save your butt in an emergency. Quick swerve, and controlled emergency(maximum) stop, constant vigilance on rearview mirrors when stopped in traffic. Find a safe place (parking lot, whatever), set up some cones, and have at it till you can do it without thinking, cause if you have to think a lot in a panic situation, you might be riding home in the ambulance.

Best book on motorcycle safety I've found is Dave Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling". Plenty of it is applicable to the Spyder, and since we have a lot of switch-hitters here, I can SERIOUSLY recommend it for all two-wheelers!! (There's even a sequel, "More Proficient Motorcycling" for those who want to hone skills further.

keep safe, ride within your comfort zone!!

GeminiJane
04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I rotate between SM5, a couple of Ducatis, a couple of Triumphs and today's ride was my BMWF800ST. My husband always reminds me that I have to put my feet down when I pull away on a 2 wheeler, but I honestly don't have a problem switching back and forth --much. Once in a while when I'm on the Street Triple I find myself throwing myself into a turn like I would on the Spyder and have one of those wide-eyed moments. And as Scotty says - I sometimes reach for the front brake on the Spyder and only get air - but I don't want to get out of the habit so I don't mind that.

Like Scotty I try to pay special attention for the first few miles/minutes of the ride to get my mindset focused and then all is fine. Just have to remember that highway debris, cinders, etc. aren't as forgiving on 2 wheels. I also notice that I have a tendency to roar up to a stop on the Spyder and then brake really heavy since it's so easy to do and I have to be a bit careful about that on the other bikes.
Depends on my mood and what roads I want to ride as to what I choose for the day - as long as I get to ride something 5 or 6 times a week I'm happy.

Questions
04-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Just got our Spyder,my Wife can ride it. I also have a '79 Triumph Bonneville Spl., '02 Yamaha VMax,'04 Honda GoldWing W/Hannigan sidecar.
Talk about confusion:clap: Ye Ha!!!

pphantom538
04-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Have a VN750, burgman scooter and Spyder but do not have a problem switching between them. The Spyder is an SE5 so the change is a bit more. Also have a rag top, pick up truck ATV and a boat. No issues. We drive what we're in/on.

SpyderByter
04-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Still have my two wheeler, but it collects dust. I did take it out this week. Even after not having ridden it since last Fall, and having ridden the Spyder alot, it was just like riding a bike, it came natural to use the front brake, countersteer, etc.

It's no different than going from my manual Celica to my automatic Jeep in the Winter. I quickly stop trying to press the clutch down in the Jeep after a couple times! :banghead:

rc51ny
04-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Hey JBIM----I'm like you--no Spyder yet, just lerking around here trying to learn all I can. I currently ride a Hayabusa and won't trade that. There are times when you just need to get out on 2 wheels and have MAJOR fun!!! I have ridden a Spyder and it's tons of fun too--just in a different way.