PDA

View Full Version : Need help 2014 RT trailer harness

Mtrprts
09-26-2016, 04:21 PM
I installed a trailer module harness on my 2014 RT about a year ago and everything worked fine. Now my right turn signal will not work. The trailer is a homemade dog trailer. The problem is on the bike end. On the left side, with a volt meter, I have 12v dropping off to 1v as the signal cycles. On the right side I have 3v dropping g off to 1v as it cycles. Theses reading are at the 4 prong square connector at the bike. Anybody have any ideas?

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Start with the GROUND ...... lots of folks here have fixed their problems by making sure they had good continuous WIRED - GROUND from the trailer into / onto & thru the Spyder ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Mtrprts
09-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Start with the GROUND ...... lots of folks here have fixed their problems by making sure they had good continuous WIRED - GROUND from the trailer into / onto & thru the Spyder ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:
I would think that would be a good place to start if the problem was in the trailer wiring, but I have traced it back to the bike harness. I just can't imagine how I would get these different readings out of the bike harness??

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-26-2016, 10:47 PM
I would think that would be a good place to start if the problem was in the trailer wiring, but I have traced it back to the bike harness. I just can't imagine how I would get these different readings out of the bike harness??
Then the MODULE could be " FRIED " ......not un-common if the ground wasn't good through the system...... Some folks rely on the CONTACT GROUND between the BALL & the COUPLER, this appears to have caused problems to the BRP MODULE, at least this is what I have gathered from other POSTS on this forum........People who GROUND thru the PLUG CONNECTION don't seem to have this issue ....Mike :thumbup:

Gray Ghost
09-27-2016, 07:52 AM
The voltage dropping sounds a lot like the symptoms I found when my module went out.

Mtrprts
09-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Mike, I'm afraid you are probably right on the module. I don't know what else it would be.
I bought the module and hitch from a dealer in Florida, through eBay in December last year.
I don't know if the warranty is worth pursuing. I can't seem to find just the wiring harness and module anywhere. The harness is always listed with the hitch. Any suggestions?

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Mike, I'm afraid you are probably right on the module. I don't know what else it would be.
I bought the module and hitch from a dealer in Florida, through eBay in December last year.
I don't know if the warranty is worth pursuing. I can't seem to find just the wiring harness and module anywhere. The harness is always listed with the hitch. Any suggestions?
Cut the module out of the harness and splice in one from an auto parts store or a trailer parts place like etrailers.com.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Cut the module out of the harness and splice in one from an auto parts store or a trailer parts place like etrailers.com.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Question : If He is replacing the BRP " Module " wouldn't He have to get the type from " Value Accessories " ????.......... Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
09-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Module part # 710003903

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Question : If He is replacing the BRP " Module " wouldn't He have to get the type from " Value Accessories " ????.......... Mike :thumbup:
Doesn't need to be that fancy. Here's a cheaper one without the fuse block http://wingstuff.com/products/26937-5-to-4-trailer-wire-harness-converter?from_search=1. Just cut the connectors off and splice it in.

billybovine
09-27-2016, 11:31 AM
If the isolation/converter is fried just replace it like IdahoMtnSpyder says. As long as you have some decent wiring skills. Lots of them available. The original is from Hopkins. But the brand does not matter. It needs to be powered for the isolation function. Sometimes called 3 to 2 converter or sometimes called 5 to 4 converter. I did a quick search of Amazon and found 2 that should work. Also at a well stocked autoparts or trailer store. Those may come with a lot of extra stuff you don't need.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56146-Wiring-Taillight-Converter/dp/B003AT4RHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474992769&sr=8-1&keywords=3+to+2+trailer+converter

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48925-Light-Converter-Extension/dp/B0002Q81XK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474993297&sr=8-1&keywords=5+to+4+trailer+converter

Mtrprts
09-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys for all your help and part numbers. I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe help someone else down the road.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-27-2016, 07:11 PM
Doesn't need to be that fancy. Here's a cheaper one without the fuse block http://wingstuff.com/products/26937-5-to-4-trailer-wire-harness-converter?from_search=1. Just cut the connectors off and splice it in.
.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.....OK, my situation is slightly different. Both my 2014 RT and my trailer have separate stop / turn / running lights and the Trailers are all LED....... Most of what I see ( Hopkins etc ) are for Trailers with combined LIGHTS ...... Do you have any suggestions...... Thanks .....Mike :thumbup:

furface90
09-27-2016, 09:08 PM
This is the same converter that BRP uses on my 2013, just splice in the BRP connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q804K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

amelectricdavid
09-27-2016, 09:27 PM
I bought mine threw show chrome....its a 5 wire ...not getting full 12v...sounds likes a bag relay in the isolating system

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-27-2016, 10:02 PM
.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.....OK, my situation is slightly different. Both my 2014 RT and my trailer have separate stop / turn / running lights and the Trailers are all LED....... Most of what I see ( Hopkins etc ) are for Trailers with combined LIGHTS ...... Do you have any suggestions...... Thanks .....Mike :thumbup:
This one will do just what you need. https://rivcoproducts.com/gl18007-iu-universal-isolator-for-trailer-wiring.html. If you search for Goldwing trailer isolator you may find a cheaper one. The one I use was for a Goldwing 1500 and used relays but it is no longer available.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-27-2016, 10:32 PM
This one will do just what you need. https://rivcoproducts.com/gl18007-iu-universal-isolator-for-trailer-wiring.html. If you search for Goldwing trailer isolator you may find a cheaper one. The one I use was for a Goldwing 1500 and used relays but it is no longer available......................................... .................................................. ................Thanks, but i'd rather not be changing connectors if at all possible. I'm sure Hopkins makes one ......it just a matter of finding the right Number ....Mike :thumbup:

billybovine
09-27-2016, 11:09 PM
.................................................. .................................................. ......Thanks, but i'd rather not be changing connectors if at all possible. I'm sure Hopkins makes one ......it just a matter of finding the right Number ....Mike :thumbup:

Maybe this will work for you. It's from a site sponsor. All plug and play except you need to find a ground and 12V power source. Also the trailer end is 5 bare wires and you need to install the connector that matches your trailer.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/TrailerWiringHarnessSpyderRT.aspx

Mtrprts
10-02-2016, 09:02 PM
I just wanted to give a quick update. I bought this hitch and wiring module from a can-am dealer on eBay. I called the dealer to inquire about warranty and they are gonna replace the module under warranty, no questions asked. BIG THANK YOU to Central Florida Powersports and to John who runs their Ebay sales department. IF you live in that part of the country, I would definitely recommend doing business with them.

Greg

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-02-2016, 09:54 PM
I just wanted to give a quick update. I bought this hitch and wiring module from a can-am dealer on eBay. I called the dealer to inquire about warranty and they are gonna replace the module under warranty, no questions asked. BIG THANK YOU to Central Florida Powersports and to John who runs their Ebay sales department. IF you live in that part of the country, I would definitely recommend doing business with them.

Greg
You're fortunate. I believe the BRP warranty is only 90 days on accessories sold over the counter & one year for dealer installed accessories.