PDA

View Full Version : Not in nuetral

joekeys
09-24-2016, 04:45 PM
My 2015 Rt with just over 3000 mi. has always gone to neutral on startup. Today I had a time getting it started. It didn't go to neutral and was in 1st.l couldn't get it in neutral. I turned it off for 10 min. and let it reboot. Still in 1st. I did several things and after about 5 min messing with it,it finally started. I don't know what I did. Has anyone had this happen or know what to do if it happens?

Roadster Renovations
09-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Sounds like something is wrong. Mine has always worked the few times when I have forgotten to go to neutral. I would suggest that you shift into neutral until you get it looked at.

samewok
09-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Did you forget to step on the brake?

Bob Denman
09-24-2016, 05:13 PM
:agree: If you leave it in gear when you shut it off: the Spyder won't start unless your foot is on the brake pedal. It also won't shift itself back in neutral, until it has started up... nojoke

Develop a routine, and then hold yourself to it... :D

joekeys
09-25-2016, 06:25 AM
Did you forget to step on the brake?
I stepped on the brake but when I pushed the started button nothing.

JayBros
09-25-2016, 06:47 AM
Get it to the dealer; it's a warranty issue.

jtoro1
09-25-2016, 08:37 AM
My 2015 Rt with just over 3000 mi. has always gone to neutral on startup. Today I had a time getting it started. It didn't go to neutral and was in 1st.l couldn't get it in neutral. I turned it off for 10 min. and let it reboot. Still in 1st. I did several things and after about 5 min messing with it,it finally started. I don't know what I did. Has anyone had this happen or know what to do if it happens?

Kill switch was on

youngers
09-25-2016, 08:38 AM
I stepped on the brake but when I pushed the started button nothing. !!! not too sound :banghead: but ( kill switch ? ) Wow jtoro and I are on the same page

jcthorne
09-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Get in the habit of shifting to neutral before shutting the bike down. Will save you a good deal of aggravation over time.

Chupaca
09-25-2016, 09:23 AM
:agree: there is no reason or benefit of leaving an se in gear. From the history here it is not uncommon for the se to hang up in in gear from time to time. Keep an eye on it ...

Tango
09-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Always put it in neutral before shutting off the engine. SE models only. Makes life easier. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

billybovine
09-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Ok folks please explain to me why you should always turn off your Spyder in neutral. Why would this help? There is always going to be a time when the engine is stopped in gear. Either it has stalled or you forgot to do so. That is just awful advice. If for some reason it will not start in gear. Something is broke. Why not just fix it????????

In this case it is just not clear what was wrong. Highly likely just the engine kill switch. But if it is was because it was in gear. The ECM is not detecting that the service brake was applied. That problem will be there just waiting to happen again. If so get it fixed. Bad switch or whatever is wrong.

jcthorne
09-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Because if the bike is left in gear, a large number of things must happen in the right sequence or trouble just like this example happens.

if its left in neutral every time, none of this happens. An SE should never stall.

billybovine
09-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Because if the bike is left in gear, a large number of things must happen in the right sequence or trouble just like this example happens.

if its left in neutral every time, none of this happens. An SE should never stall.

What large number of things must happen in sequence? Either a switch is made or not.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Ok folks please explain to me why you should always turn off your Spyder in neutral. Why would this help? There is always going to be a time when the engine is stopped in gear. Either it has stalled or you forgot to do so. That is just awful advice. If for some reason it will not start in gear. Something is broke. Why not just fix it????????

In this case it is just not clear what was wrong. Highly likely just the engine kill switch. But if it is was because it was in gear. The ECM is not detecting that the service brake was applied. That problem will be there just waiting to happen again. If so get it fixed. Bad switch or whatever is wrong.
Billy, I recently posted the same problem .... and you told me this cannot happen :dontknow::dontknow: ....I wasn't going to argue about it ..... Just tell the OP it's not happening :roflblack::roflblack: ......Sorry I had to get that one in :lecturef_smilie: ...............I agree there is something wrong , but two dealers so far can't find out what it is .....soooo they deny it occurs also ....... Personally I believe it has something to do with weak battery, I think mine wasn't properly set-up before my purchasing it. Because this occurred on my Home from Ill....... A jump from a CAR battery got the tranny to go into Neutral, and then the Spyder started ..... Mike :thumbup:

billybovine
09-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Billy, I recently posted the same problem .... and you told me this cannot happen :dontknow::dontknow: ....I wasn't going to argue about it ..... Just tell the OP it's not happening :roflblack::roflblack: ......Sorry I had to get that one in :lecturef_smilie: ...............I agree there is something wrong , but two dealers so far can't find out what it is .....soooo they deny it occurs also ....... Personally I believe it has something to do with weak battery, I think mine wasn't properly set-up before my purchasing it. Because this occurred on my Home from Ill....... A jump from a CAR battery got the tranny to go into Neutral, and then the Spyder started ..... Mike :thumbup:

You are not getting it Mike. A SE Spyder will start in any gear. It does not have to be in neutral. If it happens to be in gear, after the engine starts it will shift to neutral. Let say for some reason it can't shift to neutral, the shift lever fell off or something. The engine will still start in gear and stay in the same gear, but the engine will be running. There is no magical gear shifting system for engine starts.

If you really can't start in gear with your foot on the brake but can in neutral. There is something wrong with one of the 2 brake switches. Fix it.

billybovine
09-25-2016, 11:43 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?52183-Spyder-Mythbusters

Bob Denman
09-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Hi Billy, :D
Perhaps what is trying to be said here, is this: If you consistently leave your bike in neutral at shut-down: you'll have fewer protocols to follow at the next start-up. The key, is to develop a routine that works the best for you, and follow it every time. nojoke

It has never been a question of if the bike can start if it's in gear, or not...

Example: I leave my bike in neutral... 99.995% of the time anyway! :D But for that .005% of the time that I screw up: the bike doesn't start until I step on the brake pedal.

If it doesn't start after that: I check the kill switch...
If it doesn't start after that: I check the battery for juice...
And after that: I'm a pedestrian! :D

billybovine
09-25-2016, 06:00 PM
If it won't start in gear then it's broke and needs to be fixed. It's not an acceptable solution to me. "Just don't shut it off in gear." Because it's going to happen sometime.

Hi Billy, :D
Perhaps what is trying to be said here, is this: If you consistently leave your bike in neutral at shut-down: you'll have fewer protocols to follow at the next start-up. The key, is to develop a routine that works the best for you, and follow it every time. nojoke

It has never been a question of if the bike can start if it's in gear, or not...

Example: I leave my bike in neutral... 99.995% of the time anyway! :D But for that .005% of the time that I screw up: the bike doesn't start until I step on the brake pedal.

If it doesn't start after that: I check the kill switch...
If it doesn't start after that: I check the battery for juice...
And after that: I'm a pedestrian! :D