PDA

View Full Version : Jacking/Lifting points to raise Spyder off floor?

Tomline
09-24-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm trying to raise my Spyder off my garage floor to check a noise in either one of the three brakes or the parking brake,I don't want to jam or misalign any of the the suspension. Not very high, just enough to get a good look at the rotors & pads and the parking brake setup.I may take off front wheels one at a time to take a close look at the rotors. Thanks

Roadster Renovations
09-24-2016, 04:45 PM
I'm trying to raise my Spyder off my garage floor to check a noise in either one of the three brakes or the parking brake,I don't want to jam or misalign any of the the suspension. Not very high, just enough to get a good look at the rotors & pads and the parking brake setup.I may take off front wheels one at a time to take a close look at the rotors. Thanks

Not sure what year/model your Spyder is, but or my 2014 RT I will lift from the front of the square tube part of the frame if lifting the front wheels. If lifting the rear, the end of the square tube. If lifting the front you need to make sure the parking brake is on. One side will lift first and I block that one to keep it from falling with wood under the A arm. When I am ready to do the other side I remove the block and have someone put a little weight on the lifted side to raise the other side and block it. When I raise the rear I block the front wheels to keep them from moving.

I also cut a thin circle into a piece of plywood so that it would fit on my jack and then added a cutdown square of 12" square rubber tile that Harbour Freight sells for a couple of bucks. This doesn't mar the surface and has some flexibility.

If you are pulling the front wheels you need to break them loose before raising the bike. They should be re-torqued to specifications when they are back on the ground.

If you plan on doing a bunch of your own maintenance, you might want to invest in a motorcycle lift.

Good luck and work safe!