PDA

View Full Version : Riding without windshield

artig
09-24-2016, 12:18 AM
The stock windshield on the 2016 RT Ltd is slightly too tall for me. At the lowest position I'm partly looking over it, and partly through it. At the highest position I'm looking through it. Neither option is ideal for me. So I ordered the Can-Am 5 cm/2" shorter one with the vent, and hope to get it fitted in the near future.

In the meantime I've removed the original shield and have been going on some short rides with no windshield at all, to get a feel for it before doing the 200 km ride to the dealer. It doesn't exactly look elegant, but I'm surprised at how clean and quiet the airflow is. The ride to the dealer shouldn't be a problem. It would, apart from the looks, be an ideal setup during hot summer days.

Bfromla
09-24-2016, 12:35 AM
:2thumbs: Glad you are willing to test for solution:thumbup:, now question is you gonna try a booster seat?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Just look right over shield all the time:coffee: The shield makes for great bug guard & helps me in rain. Thankfully I dont use it for much else. :p

Professor
09-24-2016, 05:05 AM
I had the same problem. Then at Spyderfest a couple of years ago, I replaced the stock windshield on my 2014 RTL with a vented and tinted F4 Sport and it is almost perfect for me. The only negative is that it doesn't keep the rain off of me as well as the stock did, but I don't do much riding in the rain anyway.

Jetfixer
09-24-2016, 07:15 AM
I bought the windshield that has the louvered vents in it. It's 2" shorter than the stock RTL windshield. I see over it when it's fully down, and with the electric adjustment, can block all the wind and rain if needed.

quasi
09-24-2016, 07:31 AM
masking tape and a jigsaw with a 20 tpi blade and your tall windshield is now short enough.

cuznjohn
09-24-2016, 07:51 AM
why not take the old shield to someone who can cut it down. that way you can get a shield that you like, and still have the best of both worlds with the new one you bought.

Bob Denman
09-24-2016, 07:57 AM
If you're riding around with those windshield struts "flopping about"; it might not be a bad idea to find a way to secure them...
Putting an AirHawk-R under your bottom might raise you up just enough, and it would make your butt happier too! :D

Chupaca
09-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Cutting it down yourself, or with someone who can, gives you the option of seeing where it works best. Just don't go too far....but nice to know that it is not that bad a ryde with out the sheild at all. :thumbup:

Mickay
09-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Cutting it down yourself, or with someone who can, gives you the option of seeing where it works best. Just don't go too far....but nice to know that it is not that bad a ryde with out the sheild at all. :thumbup:

I masking tape the height i want and cut it with dremel with a disc saw. Not difficult it's just the stress you have. when you start cutting your stress will come down and you will be proud of yourself. I finish with some abrasive disc for the edge to make some correction.

Or you could cut longer to practice , you will know how it's will go.

Sam Mac
09-24-2016, 04:27 PM
I used to cut the Lexan windshields for my race car with a router. Did a killer job.

artig
09-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Yes, I could have cut down the original windshield, but I'd still have to add the louvered vent to get an equivalent windshield. On hot days that vent should be very useful, as even with my limited experience it seems the stock shield would not provide enough airflow during summer months. I've also noticed that it's possible to add a vent to the original. But then I'd be getting into the same sort of price range as the new shield. I may even need to trim a little off the new shield to get it low enough.

Bob, there are no windshield struts flopping about. The large (aluminium alloy?) bracket that connects the struts and that the windshield is bolted to is still in place. And there's no way I can move it at all by hand. The motor still works, so I can move the bracket up and down as I ride.

I do have an old airhawk that was used on a 2-wheeler, but it's not big enough for the Spyder seat. The stock seat is comfortable enough without an airhawk, and it would have to be a very thick airhawk to let me see entirely over the original shield.

Good to hear that the shorter, vented Can-Am shield works well.

Bob Denman
09-24-2016, 05:37 PM
I forgot that you didn't need to remove the mounting bracket...Sorry! :opps:

ES44AC
09-24-2016, 07:57 PM
I bought a short Special Series windshield from a friend and I like it so far. When I put it all the way down its like not having a Windshield at all:thumbup: The standard windshield was suffocating me in hot weather, I'll put it back on when it gets cooler though.

WA5VHU
09-24-2016, 10:58 PM
Remember that you shouldn't drive with the windshield all the way completely down. Bring it down to the stop and then bump it back up just a skooch. This keeps lifting bar from breaking from road vibrations.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
09-26-2016, 01:13 AM
I bought a short Special Series windshield from a friend and I like it so far. When I put it all the way down its like not having a Windshield at all:thumbup: The standard windshield was suffocating me in hot weather, I'll put it back on when it gets cooler though.

:agree: This is the same thing that I do. Works great and looks good too.