PDA

View Full Version : Valvoline™ 4-Stroke Motorcycle Full Synthetic 10W-40 Motor Oil

ITWorkerBee
09-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Does anybody have experience with this oil? It rates great, but not sure about the 4 stroke aspect as Im running a 2014 rss se?

jtoro1
09-24-2016, 05:53 AM
Does anybody have experience with this oil? It rates great, but not sure about the 4 stroke aspect as Im running a 2014 rss se?

Used it all the time on my 2012 RTS sm5 no problems ,sold the bike at 56000 ,you can get a good deal at Walmart .com ,6 quarts box ,it has to be jaso MA 2

Gray Ghost
09-24-2016, 06:40 AM

4 stroke means the piston does four strokes to complete the power cycle (intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust), all Spyders have four stroke engines.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-24-2016, 06:56 AM
I really like it ......I've read tests that show it has the 2nd LEAST amount of Molybdenum in the oil ( Amsoil has the least ). Moly is BAD for WET clutches ( and we have those )....... Also this Valvoline is Jaso Ma-2 rated and few oils have a rating this high .................... BRP's oil doesn't ( to the best of my knowledge )...................Mike :thumbup:

pegasus1300
09-24-2016, 08:41 AM
Very good oil and currently on sale for $39.95/6pack on Walmart.com

Chupaca
09-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Up there with the top brands of oils. Most any oil meeting the specifications listed in your manual will do well in the spyder rotax engine. There are quite a few out there its just a preference or price decission....:thumbup:

ITWorkerBee
09-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the positive comments... Walmart here I come since it's 54 plus on amazon. Now the rings and filters

jcthorne
09-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Its a great oil for the 998s.

JerryB
09-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Hi Mike,

Re: this Valvoline is Jaso Ma-2 rated

Just to have a 'look-see' I went to Amazon and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV740-6PK-10W-40-4-Stroke-Motorcycle/dp/B00DJ4FGMQ

I could not find any info on it being Jaso Ma-2 rated. Do you know if this item is rated as you mentioned?

It is listed as VV-740 as a Valvoline part number.

Jerry Baumchen

Warlock
09-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Hi Mike,

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV740-6PK-10W-40-4-Stroke-Motorcycle/dp/B00DJ4FGMQ

I could not find any info on it being Jaso Ma-2 rated. Do you know if this item is rated as you mentioned?

Jerry Baumchen
yes
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_motorcycle.pdf
but this is not the full synthetic. But the full synthetic is rated also.
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_synthetic.pdf
David

Deanna777
09-24-2016, 02:41 PM
p
Does anybody have experience with this oil? It rates great, but not sure about the 4 stroke aspect as Im running a 2014 rss se?I am using the "Valvoline Motorcycle oil 4T Stroke "Full synthetic" 10w-40 (SAE) in my 2014RTS-SE6.

I switched to this oil last year. Also, I am going to use the same oil for all of my spyder oil changes. It has Superior Wet Clutch protection.

It's formulated for the specific needs of motorcycles, including high temperature , high RPM'S and wet clutch systems.

Synthetic formula maximizes power and acceleration, Outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum power transfer and smooth shifting.

Excellent wear & corrosion protection to help keep engine performing its best.

Added protection against harmful deposits that can decrease engine performance.
Exceeds API SERVICES: SJ/SG/SF, JASO MA2

Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Hi Mike,

Jerry Baumchen
Nope Jerry , that is their DINO OIL , the Full Synthetic is in a SILVER container and says 4 T -stroke ...most stores don't carry it..... you have to order it on-line ( in a SIX PACK ) and have it shipped free to your local store or if you buy enough they will ship to your house for free .....read the fine print for that ....... Mike

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-25-2016, 10:52 AM
yes
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_motorcycle.pdf
but this is not the full synthetic. But the full synthetic is rated also.
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_synthetic.pdf
David
Good, But not the BEST info on the Valvoline ..... it doesn't state how LOW the Molyibendium is ........only Amsoil is lower .....................just sayin, Mike

Warlock
09-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Good, But not the BEST info on the Valvoline ..... it doesn't state how LOW the Molyibendium is ........only Amsoil is lower .....................just sayin, Mike

He wanted to know if it was JASO Ma-2 rated. I can get more info if needed. It is rated in the regular oil base and also in the synthetic
David

redrt
09-25-2016, 07:52 PM
I have run it in a Yamaha FZ1 it was much better on the clutch than factory oil and I will run it when the BRP extended warranty runs out.

Deanna777
09-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Nope Jerry , that is their DINO OIL , the Full Synthetic is in a SILVER container and says 4 T -stroke ...most stores don't carry it..... you have to order it on-line ( in a SIX PACK ) and have it shipped free to your local store or if you buy enough they will ship to your house for free .....read the fine print for that ....... Mike I have bought the" Valvoline Motorcycle Oil, Full synthetic 4T Stroke, 10w- 40 in the Silver bottle". ( Superior Wet Clutch Protection) I bought 2 more bottles yesterday. Yes, it is there. Deanna

ITWorkerBee
09-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Found it at AutoZone for (on sale thru today) for 9.97 a qt, or at walmart for 8.47 per qt. So it is out there.

BoilerAnimal
09-25-2016, 11:26 PM
I buy it at our local Wal-Mart for $8.47 a quart. About $10.50 a quart at AutoZone.

pegasus1300
09-25-2016, 11:33 PM
Order it online in the 6 pack and pay $6.65 a quart.

ITWorkerBee
09-26-2016, 06:15 AM
With Amazon?

jcthorne
09-26-2016, 06:23 AM
I have run it in a Yamaha FZ1 it was much better on the clutch than factory oil and I will run it when the BRP extended warranty runs out.

Why would you wait until the warranty runs out? This oil meets ALL of the BRP specs for the oil. Its fully compatible with your warranty. This is the oil we use for all 998 oil changes. Very good product and far superior to the XPS oil.

oldgoat
10-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Why would you wait until the warranty runs out? This oil meets ALL of the BRP specs for the oil. Its fully compatible with your warranty. This is the oil we use for all 998 oil changes. Very good product and far superior to the XPS oil.

You can get a 6 pack on Canadian Amazon for $297CAD. !!!!!!! :shocked: :hun:

Talk about getting screwed.

pegasus1300
10-03-2016, 11:57 AM
With Amazon?
No from Walmart.

MikeT
10-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Found it at AutoZone for (on sale thru today) for 9.97 a qt, or at walmart for 8.47 per qt. So it is out there.
In a 6 pack from Walmart.com it's$39.95/ $6.66/qt. Need $50.00 to get free shipping.

pegasus1300
10-03-2016, 02:29 PM
actually you can get in store pick up for free at any amount.

AbNormy
10-04-2016, 02:49 AM
How it compare to T6 Rotella? Understand it's OK for manuals but no SE clutches

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jcthorne
10-04-2016, 06:06 AM
How it compare to T6 Rotella? Understand it's OK for manuals but no SE clutches

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

For the 1330 bikes, the Rotella T6 is a fine oil and meets all BRP warranty requirements. It does not meet the requirements for the 998 bikes. For those, the Valvoline is the better choice.

Shifter
10-13-2016, 10:08 AM
but its 10-40 and the manual specifies 5-40.
also JASO MA can be split into JASO MA 1 and JASO MA 2, now one and two both cover two different areas whereas JASO MA without numbers actually cover both parameters of the one and two combined.
So it would seem the plain JASO MA covers all the bases wheras JM2 only covers some.
I can buy an excellent Aussie Penrite Full Synthetic 5-40 but it's only JM2.
Following the consensus here then Im ok to run it?
Also change intervals of 5000kms dont seem much...my other motorcycles are changed at 8000 kms.
Also do you all change both filters every 5000 kms change.
The kms are coming past very quickly for me, I love riding this thing and love fanging it in the wet.
Should I be able to slide the back tyre getting into it in third in the wet out of corners, I wouldve though 'nanny' prevented that?

Gray Ghost
10-13-2016, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=Shifter;1190790Also change intervals of 5000kms dont seem much...my other motorcycles are changed at 8000 kms.[/QUOTE]

Check your manual again. You are looking at miles rather than kilometers.

Shifter
10-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Check your manual again. You are looking at miles rather than kilometers.

checked manual for2010 Spyder RS...under maintenance schedule
Engine oil and filter Every 5000 km
Trans filter every 20,000 km or 2 years.

MelloYelloSpyder
10-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Should you really be changing your own oil if you don't know what 4 stroke is???:banghead:

Pampurrs
10-14-2016, 10:33 AM
I've used it on my last two oil changes. It seems to work just fine.

BajaRon recommended it to me, and I trust his judgement.

Pam

billybovine
10-14-2016, 10:52 AM
The maintenance schedule recommendations has changed twice since your manual was printed. I assume that your oil was changed at least once in the last three years and will have the updated filters. So currently it is recommended to change your oil and both the engine, HCM (transmission) filters at 7,500 kms or at least once a year. There was a booklet issued by BRP with the new recommendations in 2012. You can refer to a newer Operators Manual on BRP's website.

checked manual for2010 Spyder RS...under maintenance schedule
Engine oil and filter Every 5000 km
Trans filter every 20,000 km or 2 years.

Shifter
10-15-2016, 08:21 AM
The maintenance schedule recommendations has changed twice since your manual was printed. I assume that your oil was changed at least once in the last three years and will have the updated filters. So currently it is recommended to change your oil and both the engine, HCM (transmission) filters at 7,500 kms or at least once a year. There was a booklet issued by BRP with the new recommendations in 2012. You can refer to a newer Operators Manual on BRP's website.

Well that's great news as I'm racking up lots of kays on this thing!
Thanks for the update.
So oil and engine filter is extended, but trans filter comes back from 20,000 kms to 7500 too hey.
That's okay I can cop that.
Premium Aussie Penrite Full Synthetic 5-40 MC ain't cheap but it's full JASO MA as opposed to JASO MA 2
Trouble is the above only comes in 4 litre packs so I need to buy another litre to get the extra 300mls.
There's another Penrite Full Synthetic 5-40 that's only JASO MA2, it's cheaper and comes in a five litre pack and is car truck and motorcycle friendly.
A bit extra for the good stuff is a pittance compared to the amount of fuel of feeding the beast...

billybovine
10-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Well that's great news as I'm racking up lots of kays on this thing!
So oil and engine filter is extended, but trans filter comes back from 20,000 kms to 7500 too hey.
That's okay I can cop that.
Premium Aussie Penrite Full Synthetic 5-40 MC ain't cheap but it's full JASO MA as opposed to JASO MA 2
Trouble is the above only comes in 4 litre packs so I need to buy another litre to get the extra 300mls.
There's another Penrite Full Synthetic 5-40 that's only JASO MA2, it's cheaper and comes in a five litre pack and is car truck and motorcycle friendly.
A bit extra for the good stuff is a pittance compared to the amount of fuel of feeding the beast...

You appear misunderstand the JASO clutch slippage tests and resulting ratings. JASO MA2 rating is more desirable than a MA.

Shifter
10-16-2016, 06:21 AM
You appear misunderstand the JASO clutch slippage tests and resulting ratings. JASO MA2 rating is more desirable than a MA.

Actually you are the one who misunderstands it
MA covers the parameters if both 1 and 2
MA is the recommended oil not MA2
you put what you like in though...

DrewNJ
10-16-2016, 06:34 AM
http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83732

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Gray Ghost
10-16-2016, 08:54 AM
MA covers the parameters if both 1 and 2

An oil rated JASMO MA meets some of the specifications of MA1 and some of the specifications of MA2. The following is from: http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/JASO_MA_JASO_MB.php

JASO MA1
JASO MA2

Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI)
≥1.45 and <1.8
≥1.8 and <2.5

Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI)
≥1.15 and <1.7
≥1.7 and <2.5

Stop Time Index (STI)
≥1.55 and <1.9
≥1.9 and <2.5

If all three properties of a JASO MA oil fall within the limits specified as MA1 then the oil can be classified as a JASO MA1 oil. If all its properties fall within the limits of MA2 then it can be classified as a JASO MA2 oil. If some properties fall within the MA1 subcategory but others in MA2 then the product is simply a JASO MA product.

Shifter
10-20-2016, 08:27 AM
That's alright MA:doorag:

BajaRon
10-20-2016, 09:14 AM
but its 10-40 and the manual specifies 5-40.

No big deal. A 10w-40 is actually a better viscosity than the recommended 5w-40 for the Spyder. I can explain that if you like.

also JASO MA can be split into JASO MA 1 and JASO MA 2, now one and two both cover two different areas whereas JASO MA without numbers actually cover both parameters of the one and two combined. So it would seem the plain JASO MA covers all the bases wheras JM2 only covers some.

Not exactly. The JASO ratings are specifically addressed to the oils ability to prevent wet clutch slippage. MA1 is the lowest of the 3 (clutch slippage more liketly). MA1 will slip a 998 Rotax clutch for sure. MA2 is the highest rating (best clutch slippage protection). The very confusing MA rating (no number following) meets all of the MA1 specs but it falls short of meeting all of the MA2 specs. How short is any ones guess.

There are 3 JASO parameters. Dynamic Friction, Static Friction and Stop Time. So the nebulous MA rating could be just barely better than an MA1 rated oil. Or just barely worse than an MA2 rated oil. You just don't know unless you can get the exact specs for that MA rated oil in all 3 of the JASO Parameters. So, to find out if an MA rated oil will slip your clutch, you'll have to try it.

Simply put. JASO MA2 is the best possible protection against clutch slippage. Jaso MA1 is not as good. And each individual JASO MA lubricant occupies some unknown spot in-between these 2.

Update:
Sorry Gray Ghost. I did not read your post before putting mine up. But you are exactly right. The chart you attached verifies that.

The JASO MA rating is confusing. But certainly, since the MA1 rated oil is less able to prevent clutch slippage. You would not want to tout your product as having all the (lesser) qualities of of an MA1 rated oil if it possessed all the (superior) qualities of an MA2 lubricant.

Sempyder
03-04-2017, 12:54 AM
So I thought I watched a BRP video on oil which shows a team of scientists working with the oil industry to create XPS. BRP spent a couple million on this process just for a specific engine brand. Valvoline spends a couple million on marketing for every major unit engine. And I just consulted with this thread of a dozen motorcycle riders who are probably not in the oil profession but read other professionals literature about the best oil and then write about it or debate about it. It drives me crazy that a good percent thinks xps is too much money and another group says it doesn't have the viscosity that is needed, or I sent mine in and it broke down faster than the other. I'm a big big believer in XPS because I believe in the Spyder which means I Believe in BRP. Btw I'm sure everyone on this thread knows more about oil than me that's great, keep up on that so I have more to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trbayth
03-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Who left the troll cage open again? lol lol lol lol

See, I can put a bunch of lol's at the end of my post too.

Warlock
03-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Who left the troll cage open again? lol lol lol lol

See, I can put a bunch of lol's at the end of my post too.

I tried the Valvoline 10-40 full synthetic and didn't like it. Made my spyder shift harder. Took it out and put Lucas in it. Shifting like it should now. Mine seems to not like it. Oh well at least I tried it. Was hoping to like it with the price of it. Mine is a manual shift also.
David

Trbayth
03-04-2017, 12:50 PM
I tried the Valvoline 10-40 full synthetic and didn't like it. Made my spyder shift harder. Took it out and put Lucas in it. Shifting like it should now. Mine seems to not like it. Oh well at least I tried it. Was hoping to like it with the price of it. Mine is a manual shift also.
David

If that's working out well for you, that's great! I had used the Amsoil for a couple of changes and while I did notice a difference, for me it wasn't enough to justify the much higher price.

Switched to the Castrol for my last change and so far it's working fine for me. Reasonably priced too.

Deanna777
03-04-2017, 02:37 PM
I updated my ( post # 11) on this thread ,that it EXCEEDS API Services SJ/SG/SF, JASO MA2.

I use this oil, I have not had any problems with this oil.

I have a 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna

coz
04-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Highly rated, readily available, good price. Get your filters from Baja Ron.

gerald37
11-26-2017, 12:45 PM
I don’t want to start an Oil thread. I got a question. I have read a large number of all the oil threads with a lot of tests that were done. I have got it down to two oils that I am considering to start using. Those are Mobil 1 Racing oil T4 10W/40 and Valvoline Motorcycle oil 4T Stroke "Full synthetic" 10w-40. I have read the spec’s on both oils. They seem to be about the same. I can purchase the Valvoline for about $5.00 a quart and everywhere I have checked the Mobil 1 is $9.97 a quart. Is the Mobil that mush better?

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-26-2017, 01:45 PM
I don’t want to start an Oil thread. I got a question. I have read a large number of all the oil threads with a lot of tests that were done. I have got it down to two oils that I am considering to start using. Those are Mobil 1 Racing oil T4 10W/40 and Valvoline Motorcycle oil 4T Stroke "Full synthetic" 10w-40. I have read the spec’s on both oils. They seem to be about the same. I can purchase the Valvoline for about $5.00 a quart and everywhere I have checked the Mobil 1 is $9.97 a quart. Is the Mobil that mush better?

I use and like that Valvoline ....... here's something that might not be known about the Valvoline - Out of about 20 of the leading Mtc oils. This Valvoline had the second lowest Molybdenum added to the product, only Amsoil is lower ........... Moly is BAD for WET clutches .... and the Spyder has a Wet clutch .........Mike :thumbup:

JayBros
11-26-2017, 02:42 PM
Use the Valvoline and Mobil 1, run each oil 5,000 miles, have them analyzed and make your selection based upon the analysis results. That's the only way YOU can tell which is performing better in your Spyder. Buy oil analysis kits from your local Napa auto parts store or from Napa online.

electricman
11-26-2017, 02:58 PM
Sorry I need help but this is an oil? Also, I am new to Spyder

I just checked the oil in my Spyder RT before starting it, & it did not show anything, also I don't see any leaks! Help?

gerald37
11-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Sorry I need help but this is an oil? Also, I am new to Spyder

I just checked the oil in my Spyder RT before starting it, & it did not show anything, also I don't see any leaks! Help?

Never check the oil cold. They say run it 9 miles let it run for a few minutes then check it. I just check mind now cold and it is on the minimum. If I run it several miles and check it it wil be okay.

gerald37
11-26-2017, 03:24 PM
I use and like that Valvoline ....... here's something that might not be known about the Valvoline ..... Out of about 20 of the leading Mtc oils, This Valvoline had the second lowest Molybdenum added to the product, only Amsoil is lower ........... Moly is BAD for WET clutches .... and the Spyder has a Wet clutch .........Mike :thumbup:

I also read that somewhere. That is why I am thinking about using Valvoline.

electricman
11-26-2017, 03:46 PM
thanks i guess i will but oil in to med- run ride and chack that sounds ok right

JayBros
11-26-2017, 04:00 PM
:firstplace:
thanks i guess i will but oil in to med- run ride and chack that sounds ok right

Suggest you begin by reading your operator's manual and following the instructions therein.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-26-2017, 06:18 PM
Which Spyder do you have? The 998 engine burns oil, the 1330 doesn't. If you have the 998 and you don't see any oil on the dip stick, you better add a half quart before you go driving around.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Use the Valvoline and Mobil 1, run each oil 5,000 miles, have them analyzed and make your selection based upon the analysis results. That's the only way YOU can tell which is performing better in your Spyder. Buy oil analysis kits from your local Napa auto parts store or from Napa online.
Since it's a 2015 RT run it 9600 miles, the factory spec for oil change interval.

gerald37
11-26-2017, 07:16 PM
Since it's a 2015 RT run it 9600 miles, the factory spec for oil change interval.
I don't think I will go quite that far but I will go around 7000 miles .
Jerry

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-26-2017, 07:25 PM
I don't think I will go quite that far but I will go around 7000 miles .
Jerry

Jerry, I use the Valvoline and like it ..... In Vermont I usually do about 11,000 miles per year, so I do an oil change around 5,500 mi..... However, at this change I don't do the filter just the oil ...... clean oil doesn't clog the filter the way dirty oil does... so I think the filter will last longer .......jmho .... Mike :thumbup:

Hey Yu
11-27-2017, 06:33 AM
I don’t want to start an Oil thread. I got a question. I have read a large number of all the oil threads with a lot of tests that were done. I have got it down to two oils that I am considering to start using. Those are Mobil 1 Racing oil T4 10W/40 and Valvoline Motorcycle oil 4T Stroke "Full synthetic" 10w-40. I have read the spec’s on both oils. They seem to be about the same. I can purchase the Valvoline for about $5.00 a quart and everywhere I have checked the Mobil 1 is $9.97 a quart. Is the Mobil that mush better?The Valvoline oil is fully JASO MA2 compatible, go with it.

jcthorne
11-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Where are you finding the Valvoline 4T 10W40 Full Synthetic for $5 a quart? I usually pay near twice that from either Wally World or Pep Boys.

pegasus1300
11-27-2017, 12:53 PM
It is currently on sale thru Walmart at 6.67/qt. I have enough on hand for three oil changes.

Deanna777
11-27-2017, 06:44 PM
I'm using the Valvoline 4T Stroke ( Full Synthetic) SAE 10W- 40, and I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 ( 1330 Ace Engine). I have been using this oil for 2 years, no problems.

It is formulated for the specific needs of motorcycles. Including high temperature , high RPM'S and wet clutch systems. Excellent wear and corrosion protection to help keep the engine performing its best.

Exceeds: API Services, SJ/SG/SF, JASO MA2.

Outstanding wet clutch protection for the maximum power transfer & smooth shifting.

Added protection against harmful deposits that can decrease engine performance.

Synthetic formula maximizes power and acceleration.

****Superior Wet Clutch Protection****

Deanna

Bensonoid
11-27-2017, 06:59 PM
It is currently on sale thru Walmart at 6.67/qt. I have enough on hand for three oil changes.
It was on sale for $25.28 for a six pack in November 2015. I ordered 3 of them thinking they would go on sale again soon but it ain't happenin'.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-27-2017, 07:08 PM
It was on sale for $25.28 for a six pack in November 2015. I ordered 3 of them thinking they would go on sale again soon but it ain't happenin'.

:agree: ... I bought 4 six-packs at that price :yes: and one of 20w/50, which I add one quart to the four 10w/40 for viscosity improvement..... I have seen it for 32.00 a six-pack but that was 6 months ago ....... Mike :thumbup:

pegasus1300
11-27-2017, 07:52 PM

Yes I keep hoping that too but the best I have seen is this $6.67 price and you have to order by the qt. I ordered a dozen and they came in 12 individual packages but all to the same address at the same time. Wierd huh:dontknow::dontknow:

Bensonoid
11-27-2017, 07:52 PM
:agree: ... I bought 4 six-packs at that price :yes: and one of 20w/50, which I add one quart to the four 10w/40 for viscosity improvement..... I have seen it for 32.00 a six-pack but that was 6 months ago ....... Mike :thumbup:

That's probably as cheap as it's going to get. If it goes on sale for $32.- again I'll have to stock up I guess.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Plenty has been said about Valvoline, but are you mistaking the price of Valvoline conventional motorcycle oil with the full synthetic oil? The 4T is the full synthetic and is closer to $7/qt on sale. That is the one you want.

gerald37
11-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Plenty has been said about Valvoline, but are you mistaking the price of Valvoline conventional motorcycle oil with the full synthetic oil? The 4T is the full synthetic and is closer to $7/qt on sale. That is the one you want. No it was full synthetic 4T it was on sale for 5.67 a quart. In our area it runs 5.67 to 7.00 dollars.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Yes I keep hoping that too but the best I have seen is this $6.67 price and you have to order by the qt. I ordered a dozen and they came in 12 individual packages but all to the same address at the same time. Wierd huh:dontknow::dontknow:
Walmart's computer programs are way behind the times ...... If you go looking for stuff, they will very often miss certain packaging options, ie. a six-pack of the same oil you are looking for ........ you have to ask for a SIX-PACK :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: .......Plus, they only tell you about what is IN STOCK RIGHT NOW .... if the warehouse doesn't have any at the moment ...Walmart treats it like it never existed! :yikes: jmho ... Mike :thumbup:

pegasus1300
11-28-2017, 08:08 PM
The 6 pack is also shown if you ask for it (thanks Mike),but it is the same price,$6.67/qt. Free shipping and free pickup

gerald37
02-21-2018, 09:43 PM
I don't want to start an Oil thread. I do have one question I am thinking of using Valvoline Motorcycle oil 10W-40 in my Spyder. I have found to different ones. One in a silver container part # 507679. The other is in a black container VV740. The specs read just about the same. They are both marked motorcycle oil. Is there anyone than can tell me if one is better than the other. The prices are within a dollar or two. It depends on where you purchase it. The cheapest price is at Walmart.

oldgoat
02-21-2018, 09:45 PM
I don't want to start an Oil thread. I do have one question I am thinking of using Valvoline Motorcycle oil 10W-40 in my Spyder. I have found to different ones. One in a silver container part # 507679. The other is in a black container VV740. The specs read just about the same. They are both marked motorcycle oil. Is there anyone than can tell me if one is better than the other. The prices are within a dollar or two. It depends on where you purchase it. The cheapest price is at Walmart.

I think you'll find the silver one is fully synthetic.

gerald37
02-21-2018, 09:52 PM
I think you'll find the silver one is fully synthetic. Thanks, I think you are right. I just went on Walmart's website and the silver container did say full synthetic and the black said conventional. I did not catch that in the specs. Thanks again, I do want synthetic oil.

mavrik
02-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Either one will be ok, synthetic or non-synthetic is personal choice....enjoy and ride!

SPYD3R
02-22-2018, 09:43 AM
i think you'll find all you'll need at a previous post of mine....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?110817-VAL-OIL

Dan P
SPYD3R

Little Blue
02-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Valvoline Oil

YES, the Silver Is the Better one. :thumbup:

gerald37
02-22-2018, 10:56 AM
i think you'll find all you'll need at a previous post of mine....

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?110817-VAL-OIL

Dan P
SPYD3R
Thanks for the information. It sounds like the Valvoline oil is okay to use in the Spyder and the going price is around 6.67. I will purchase it from Walmart and buy my filters from Bajaron.

SPYD3R
02-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the information. It sounds like the Valvoline oil is okay to use in the Spyder and the going price is around 6.67. I will purchase it from Walmart and buy my filters from Bajaron.

glad i could help....
Ron is great, very customer focused.... :firstplace:
see you in Deadwood (we hope)....
Dan P
SPYD3R

pegasus1300
02-22-2018, 05:46 PM
Valvoline T4 full synthetic is one of the best motorcycle oils you can get esp for the price. Excellent for a wet clutch application.

gerald37
02-23-2018, 09:19 AM
I did purchase 6 quarts of Valvoline 10W-40 Full Synthetic from Jet for $6.27 a quart no sales tax and no shipping. This is as low as I have found it.

pegasus1300
02-23-2018, 04:05 PM
I did purchase 6 quarts of Valvoline 10W-40 Full Synthetic from Jet for $6.27 a quart no sales tax and no shipping. This is as low as I have found it.

Who is Jet? do you have a website for them?

Drypowder
02-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Who is Jet? do you have a website for them?

www.jet.com

pegasus1300
02-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Thanks. I saw that but thought it was a furniture store

SPYD3R
02-23-2018, 07:47 PM
www.jet.com (http://www.jet.com)

JET.COM is owned and operated by Walmarts....
i ordered 6 qts from each to see the difference...
JET was cheaper and slower, 5 days, Walmarts was a few pennies more per qt. but delivery was 2 days...
all and all, if you are in need for a quick delivery, go Wallys....
Dan P
SPYD3R

Deanna777
02-24-2018, 02:39 PM
Here are the specs on the 4T stroke SAE 10W -40 Full Synthetic: Grey bottle

**For performance trusted by motorcycle owners and race teams around the world, use Valvoline Motorcycle oil. It is formulated for the specific needs of motorcycles, including high temperatures, high RPM'S and wet clutch systems.

** Synthetic formula maximizes power and acceleration

** Outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum power transfer & Smooth shifting

** Added protection against harmful deposits that can decrease engine performance

** Excellent wear corrosion protection to help keep the engine performing its best

Exceeds API services SJ/SG/SF, JASO MA2

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 I have been using this oil for 4 years, I have not had any problems with shifting or etc.

I have bought this oil in Wal-Mart.

Deanna

Deanna777
07-20-2021, 02:50 PM
Has anyone found the Valvoline 4T SAE 10W - 40 Full Synthetic - Gray Bottle for spyders?

I am looking for the Valvoline 4T SAE 10W -40 Full synthetic, Gray bottle.

Deanna

Mikey
07-20-2021, 03:26 PM
Check Amazon Deanna! Some have found it at walmart I think, maybe ask them if they can order it for you!!:dontknow:

chromehorse
07-20-2021, 03:47 PM
BAJARON told me the oils for these Spyders MUST BE JASO MA2 or else it sounds like it will destroy a clutch much faster. I went and got Amsoil today for mine @ 12.00 a quart. I'm not saying it's the best oil on the market but I run it in my sleds n it excels over anything else I've ran n for what these things cost I'm not going cheap on oil.

CopperSpyder
07-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Has anyone found the Valvoline 4T SAE 10W - 40 Full Synthetic - Gray Bottle for spyders?

I am looking for the Valvoline 4T SAE 10W -40 Full synthetic, Gray bottle.

Deanna

Walmart $21.89 for a 3 pack look on their web site get it delivered; free 2 day delivery if you order 2, 3 packs. The oil is Jaso MA2 rated

07-20-2021, 05:07 PM
BAJARON told me the oils for these Spyders MUST BE JASO MA2 or else it sounds like it will destroy a clutch much faster. I went and got Amsoil today for mine @ 12.00 a quart. I'm not saying it's the best oil on the market but I run it in my sleds n it excels over anything else I've ran n for what these things cost I'm not going cheap on oil.

Was wondering if anyone used it now I know thanks

pegasus1300
07-20-2021, 05:39 PM
Deanna, Amazon has Valvoline T4 10w40 in a 6 pack free shipping for 59.35. That would give you and extra qt just in case.

Deanna777
07-21-2021, 10:35 AM
Check Amazon Deanna! Some have found it at walmart I think, maybe ask them if they can order it for you!!:dontknow:

I'll check Amazon.

I have looked at the local Wal-marts here in Vermont. They haven't had any.

Deanna

Deanna777
07-21-2021, 10:39 AM

I am not going cheap on the oil either. I have used the Valvoline 4T SAE 10W-40 Full Synthetic ( wet Clutch System) since 2014 on my current spyder.

Deanna

Deanna777
07-21-2021, 10:43 AM

Check on post # 15 on this thread. I posted the specs on the Valvoline 4T SAE 10W -40 Full Synthetic Oil.

Deanna

Deanna777
07-21-2021, 10:48 AM
Walmart $21.89 for a 3 pack look on their web site get it delivered; free 2 day delivery if you order 2, 3 packs. The oil is Jaso MA2 rated

I'll check the Wal-Mart website. ( off topic: I have 2 more months of riding time left, before I get the sled ready for the winter months, I don't have much down time between the two seasons, spyder and Sled).

Back on topic. and post what I find.

Deanna

Deanna777
07-21-2021, 10:50 AM
Deanna, Amazon has Valvoline T4 10w40 in a 6 pack free shipping for 59.35. That would give you and extra qt just in case.

Pegasus, I 'll check the Amazon website. Thanks for your help.

I'll post on this thread what I find.

Deanna

K80Shooter
07-21-2021, 04:32 PM
If you get it on amazon get 6 of the 1 qt bottles in place of the case of 6. it's cheaper that way for some reason.

Deanna777
07-21-2021, 07:39 PM
If you get it on amazon get 6 of the 1 qt bottles in place of the case of 6. it's cheaper that way for some reason.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Deanna

Deanna777
07-22-2021, 01:38 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all of your suggestions on the Valvoline 4T SAE 10W- 40 Full synthetic Motorcycle oil for the my spyder.

This oil exceeds API services SJ/SG/SF JASO MA2, and is for the wet clutch systems.It is in a grey bottle.

Deanna

acdcking12
07-22-2021, 02:26 PM
Could I have a link to this please, so I get the correct one?

Deanna777
07-22-2021, 03:09 PM

Could someone else chime to post a link.

Deanna

troop
07-22-2021, 10:03 PM
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/4-stroke-full-synthetic-motorcycle-oil
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-4-Stroke-Motorcycle-Full-Synthetic-SAE-10W-40-Motor-Oil-1-QT/16777818
https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-10W-40-Synthetic-Motorcycle-507679/dp/B00HJ6VFAW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=8US3RD0Y0X9&dchild=1&keywords=valvoline%2B10w40%2Bmotorcycle%2Boil&qid=1627009350&sprefix=valvoline%2B10w40%2B%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-5&th=1

pegasus1300
07-22-2021, 10:57 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-10W-40-Synthetic-Motorcycle-507679/dp/B00HJ6VFAW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=8US3RD0Y0X9&dchild=1&keywords=valvoline%2B10w40%2Bmotorcycle%2Boil&qid=1627009350&sprefix=valvoline%2B10w40%2B%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-5&th=1

KX5062
07-23-2021, 11:27 AM
This is the oil I've been using in my Spyders for year now and it's always worked well. Years ago I did a Blackstone Lab test on it and it tested very well.

I've been buying it via Walmart on line for in store delivery because it was cheaper that way. For whatever reason it's more costly in store, off the shelf, if they even have it in stock. The above link showing Amazon for the same price is relatively new, because for years Amazon was selling it for full retail pricing and not the Walmart on line pricing.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-23-2021, 02:45 PM
Years ago I use dino Valvoline in my 1986 Nissan Maxima. When the dealer opened up the engine to repair the damage from a broken timing belt he said that was one of the cleanest engines he had ever seen. It had something like 80,000 miles on it. I know this isn't directly relevant to this discussion other than my past experience indicates Valvoline oil is good oil. I need to consider switching back to it from Amsoil.

Deanna777
07-23-2021, 07:33 PM

acdcking12, Look at post # 32,and 33 for links. A couple of people posted links for the Valvoline Full synthetic 10W-40 Oil, so you can get the correct one.

Deanna

Deanna777
08-05-2021, 12:28 PM
Valvoline Oil Up date 8/5/2021 1:26pm

Hi All,

I did get the Valvoline 4T Full Synthetic Motor Cycle Oil 10W0- 40 in the grey bottle.

Thanks for the suggestions on where to find it.

Deanna

gerald37
09-01-2023, 02:59 PM
Does anyone use Valvoline full synthetic motorcycle oil in their Spyder's? I have used it in all three of the Spyder's I have owned with no problems. The OEM XPM kits are so high priced. I just wanted to know if anyone else used this oil. I see Value Accessories sales Pro Plus oil for Spyder's. I don't think it would be any better than Valvoline.

Deanna777
09-01-2023, 04:29 PM
I am using the Valvoline Full Synthetic SAE 10W40 Motorcycle 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil (this is for the Ultimate Wet Clutch, Transmission & Engine Protection).

It is formulated for the specific needs of high performance 4 stroke motorcycles, including high temperatures, high RPM's and Wet Clutch Systems.

Full synthetic formula for the ultimate protection against wear, deposits and corrosion that can decrease engine performance.

Developed with advanced additives to resist oil thickening and maximize horsepower.

Outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum powder transfer & Smooth shifting.

Meets or Exceeds JASO MA2 API SL

I have been using the above oil since 2014 (in my 2014 RTS-SE-6 SOLD) and I'll be using the above oil in my current Spyder (2023 F3 LTD Special Series). I have not had any problems with the above oil.

Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-02-2023, 12:12 AM
I am using the Valvoline Full Synthetic SAE 10W40 Motorcycle 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil (this is for the Ultimate Wet Clutch, Transmission & Engine Protection).

It is formulated for the specific needs of high performance 4 stroke motorcycles, including high temperatures, high RPM's and Wet Clutch Systems.

Full synthetic formula for the ultimate protection against wear, deposits and corrosion that can decrease engine performance.

Developed with advanced additives to resist oil thickening and maximize horsepower.

Outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum powder transfer & Smooth shifting.

Meets or Exceeds JASO MA2 API SL

I have been using the above oil since 2014 (in my 2014 RTS-SE-6 SOLD) and I'll be using the above oil in my current Spyder (2023 F3 LTD Special Series). I have not had any problems with the above oil.

Deanna

:agree: .... I used it for 3 yrs. in my 14 RT and liked it ..... However, Valvoline went up in price by quite a bit ..... I found Rotella T-6 which works just as well and is less expensive .... been using it for 6 or 7 years now ..... Mike :thumbup:

pegasus1300
09-02-2023, 01:48 AM
...... been using it for 67 years now .....Mike :thumbup:"

Wow that long MIke, Boy that's a lot of loyalty. (ooops?)

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-02-2023, 10:23 AM
"

Wow that long MIke, Boy that's a lot of loyalty. (ooops?)

Good catch .... a typo , I didn't add ....OR ....; Mike :thumbup:

carbonation
09-02-2023, 07:20 PM
I use and like that Valvoline ....... here's something that might not be known about the Valvoline - Out of about 20 of the leading Mtc oils. This Valvoline had the second lowest Molybdenum added to the product, only Amsoil is lower ........... Moly is BAD for WET clutches .... and the Spyder has a Wet clutch .........Mike :thumbup:
Oh it's low all right. Zero.
It is the most unexciting oil period. No moly. Some Boron. Appropriate Zinc and Phosphorus. But nothing to stop overall wear except a group III base stock.

This constant thing about moly though.... it just isn't so. Many MC oils have moly. Redline, highly regarded, very expensive, POA base stocks, 477PPM Moly. Even factory Honda oils. Yep, those oils used in Wings, CBR's, 12k RPM Honda factory race bikes...499 PPM Moly. It really is more important to look at the overall package the oil provides vs the amount of the single element, Moly.

Rotella is as boring as the Valvo MC oil. Boron, Calcium Zinc and Phosphorus. On paper, it looks almost identical. Why spend $9 a quart when a 4-quart jug is $16 for conventional or $24 for synthetic?
Also, Rotella isn't tested for MA approval. Shell just states it meets it to keep MC people buying it because they have been for decades.
The information is available with a search. You won't find Rotella on the JASO approved list. Only place you will see Rotella and MA in the same place is the bottle.

There is no magic MC sauce. They all shear; they all get dirty; they all wear out. Some will do slightly better than another, maybe, but your best insurance is clean oil, often enough so dirt is kept in suspension, you stay in grade, and you don't trend acidic.

KX5062
09-08-2023, 09:09 AM
As I understand it, Rotella isn't sold as "approved" because they don't submit their oil for very expensive testing protocols to get that approval.

Lew L
09-08-2023, 09:57 AM

Just completed an oil and filter change on the poor, old, slow V-Max yesterday with the aforementioned Valvoline 10W-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. purchased on line....

Lew L

Leaping1
09-08-2023, 10:19 AM
I was just looking at Vavoline web page and it listed Pros and Cons for the 10w40 motorcycle oil. In the Cons side it said you could only run 600 miles per oil change. What in the world are they talking about.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-08-2023, 11:00 AM
I was just looking at Vavoline web page and it listed Pros and Cons for the 10w40 motorcycle oil. In the Cons side it said you could only run 600 miles per oil change. What in the world are they talking about.

600 miles - :lecturef_smilie::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ..... JMHO Mike :thumbup:

Leaping1
09-08-2023, 11:52 AM
600 miles - :lecturef_smilie::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ..... JMHO Mike :thumbup:

I agree with you, but look at their website.

EdMat
09-08-2023, 11:53 AM

Have you got a link to it?

Leaping1
09-08-2023, 01:59 PM
Just my luck. Now I can't find the link. But if you search Vavoline 10w40 motorcycle oil it's there, I just can't stumble across it again.

EdMat
09-08-2023, 04:20 PM
Just my luck. Now I can't find the link. But if you search Vavoline 10w40 motorcycle oil it's there, I just can't stumble across it again.

I don't think you were on the Valvoline website. Maybe it was the Vavoline site.

BajaRon
09-09-2023, 11:28 AM
There is no magic MC sauce. They all shear; they all get dirty; they all wear out. Some will do slightly better than another, maybe...

While I agree with your premise that all oils need to be changed. And while I don't mean to argue here. I think 'Slightly Better - Maybe' could be a bridge too far.

We have many oil analysis that show the BRP Blended 10/40 (the original) and the current 5/40 consistently shear down to 20 weight between 4,500 and 5,000 miles. Whereas Amsoil typically remains at 34-36 weight at 10,000 miles. I would summit that this is much better than 'Slightly'. And while Amsoil, in our samples, has maintained the best viscosity stability of any oil tested. There are several other oils that do much better than the BRP product.

Granted, comparing a blended oil (which is probably only 10% synthetic) to a full synthetic oil is not a fair comparison. It does give evidence that there can be a great deal of difference in stability and longevity between products. It's not all Hype and Hyperbole.

If you are going to change your oil every 4,500 miles. Then the BRP lubricant is going to retain spec. fairly well. But many are running the factory recommended 9,300 miles or farther between service. While no one is blowing up engines. You have to wonder what kind of protection you're getting from 20w oil when 40w is prescribed.

The debate will never end. And few will change their mind. I use Amsoil only as an example. As mentioned, there are a number of superior lubricants out there. I just feel that real world facts should be the rudder we steer by.

BertRemington
09-09-2023, 02:24 PM
Concur with BR although with BRP and L-M 5W40 I observed (via dashboard pressure gauge) the "knee" at 3K miles. Whereupon I changed oil.

The viscosity issue, at least for me, is not engine oil pressure (which is allowed to drop to 8.7psi at idle) but rather the HCM solenoids and multiplate pressure-engaged clutch. The HCM has its own oil pumps (scavenge, pressure) with two pressure circuits and the line pressure circuit operates at twice the maximum engine oil pressure. Although I'm sure the TCM has long-term trim to compensate for solenoid and clutch plate wear, my experience is my 95K miles transmission operates more smoothly and consistently with higher viscosity oil (in my case 15W-50). I have the parts to tap into the HCM oil pressure sensor (it's a standard 3-wire 5V transducer) but have been procrastinating.:D

BajaRon
09-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Concur with BR although with BRP and L-M 5W40 I observed (via dashboard pressure gauge) the "knee" at 3K miles. Whereupon I changed oil.

The viscosity issue, at least for me, is not engine oil pressure (which is allowed to drop to 8.7psi at idle) but rather the HCM solenoids and multiplate pressure-engaged clutch. The HCM has its own oil pumps (scavenge, pressure) with two pressure circuits and the line pressure circuit operates at twice the maximum engine oil pressure. Although I'm sure the TCM has long-term trim to compensate for solenoid and clutch plate wear, my experience is my 95K miles transmission operates more smoothly and consistently with higher viscosity oil (in my case 15W-50). I have the parts to tap into the HCM oil pressure sensor (it's a standard 3-wire 5V transducer) but have been procrastinating.:D

That would be an interesting gauge to have. Let us know if you actually do it.

bikerbillone
09-10-2023, 08:01 AM
Paul, you were referring to Valvoline as posted BlueKnight Mike, right?

mecsw500
09-12-2023, 08:55 PM
CDN$297 for a six pack of what, barrels? That's quite some markup.

pegasus1300
09-12-2023, 09:14 PM
Paul, you were referring to Valvoline as posted BlueKnight Mike, right?
Yes, very good oil.