PDA

View Full Version : I Thought BRP Changed Rear Tire Compounds For Longer Tire Life

MikeT
09-22-2016, 02:52 PM
I have a 2015 RT Limited (April 2015). This is my/our first Spyder. I just crossed 6200 miles. Rode 2500 miles in '15. Of the 3700 miles we've ridden this year, 2700 of it has been 2 week long trips with all compartments full; but within the BRP's guidelines. The wear bars are close to the surface. As usual the center of the tire is wearing the fastest. This I expected. I'm estimating that I'll only get 8,000 miles out of this tire. Not expexting. We ride 2-up 95% of the time. I've run 28 PSI in the tire. To say the least, I'm a little surprised by this milage since it seems more typical of a 2014. Any thoughts????? Thanks.
Mike

lilwill
09-22-2016, 02:53 PM
I have a 2015 F3s with almost 6k on it and the rear tire is showing major signs of wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AeroPilot
09-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Your decision on when to change but I think the Kenda gets changed out early due to water breaker bars molded in tire being mistaken for the wear bars. Sells more tires. Again, your decision, but changed the wifes 15 RTS at 12,500 and my 15 RT just this week at 14,950 miles. Best wear of the four Kendas we've wore out. Our worst was the 14 vintage replacement that was quite bald at 8,000 and we tend to be easy on tires. Your wear and your choice.

I'd say that 8,000 with two up is better than most get from a Kenda OEM on an RT IMHO.

ARtraveler
09-22-2016, 03:24 PM
I have a 2015 RT Limited (April 2015). This is my/our first Spyder. I just crossed 6200 miles. Rode 2500 miles in '15. Of the 3700 miles we've ridden this year, 2700 of it has been 2 week long trips with all compartments full; but within the BRP's guidelines. The wear bars are close to the surface. As usual the center of the tire is wearing the fastest. This I expected. I'm estimating that I'll only get 8,000 miles out of this tire. Not expexting. We ride 2-up 95% of the time. I've run 28 PSI in the tire. To say the least, I'm a little surprised by this milage since it seems more typical of a 2014. Any thoughts????? Thanks.
Mike

The rubber compound was supposed to be changed back to the "old style" on the 2015's. I got 9K on the "new" style the first go around. Replaced my 2nd rear tire on my RT-S 13,000 miles later--closer to normal. You may have some other issues. Bad tire? :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Hi Mike! :D
My early 2014 only got 5700 miles out of the OEM Kenda, and it was toast! nojoke
It was in the Spring of 2014, that they changed back to the compound used in prior years...
I sort of doubt that you've got the "old mix"; it's probably more due to running two-up, with a relatively high tire pressure...

SpyderAnn01
09-22-2016, 05:03 PM
When the tire is bald in the center you don't need any stinking wear bars. They changed the compound on the front tires in 2014. Don't think they did anything to improve the rear.

AeroPilot
09-22-2016, 05:40 PM

jaherbst
09-22-2016, 05:44 PM
When the tire is bald in the center you don't need any stinking wear bars. They changed the compound on the front tires in 2014. Don't think they did anything to improve the rear.

Now you tell me😬

Jack

jaherbst
09-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Well Pam got -17,000 on her Kenda's and I got 10,000 and could have ridden another 2-4000. Many many things come into play when talking tire mileage.

If I get 10,000 on my motorcycle I am happy. I never judge my tires by mileage but by performance. I.e. Grip, ride, performance on wet surfaces . I will always stay with a softer compound tire (motorcycle). Safety first/mileage secondly! JMO

Jack

Jack

jaherbst
09-22-2016, 06:06 PM

Ann you did tell me they changed the rear tire compound in early 2014 and gave me a date when this change over was made. Trust and verifie-- I called Danny and he verified this to me. Hope you were both correct.

If not it would be nice to know.

Jack

JayBros
09-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Jack, Ann told me that tires on 2014s with a manufactured date after 2814 were of the "old" harder compound.

jcthorne
09-22-2016, 08:13 PM
Well Pam got -17,000 on her Kenda's and I got 10,000 and could have ridden another 2-4000. Many many things come into play when talking tire mileage.

If I get 10,000 on my motorcycle I am happy. I never judge my tires by mileage but by performance. I.e. Grip, ride, performance on wet surfaces . I will always stay with a softer compound tire (motorcycle). Safety first/mileage secondly! JMO

Jack

Jack

My Yokohama has MUCH better traction than the OEM Kenda did. We will see how long it lasts but most get 15k or so.

retired1
09-22-2016, 09:20 PM
In my opinion, Kendas tire compound changes are BS. Speaking from experience, I never got over 7000 miles on my 2010 RTS or my 2014RTS. JMO:thumbup:
I'm talking about the rear tire.

nesdspyder
09-22-2016, 09:45 PM
2015 RT L here 6200 miles on my fronts and tires are wore bald on the inside. Rear tire is getting down to where I can maybe get 2000 miles out of it to be safe.

SpyderAnn01
09-22-2016, 11:47 PM
The front tires were more of the problem on the 14s. The rear Kenda's always sucked. Prior to 14 you could get 15,000 to 20,000 on the front tires then they changed the compound and 7,000 to 10,000 was the norm. In May or June of 14 they changed the compound and went to something a bit harder. I don't remember anything one way or the other on the rear compound. I'm getting old.

If you have a front tire with a date of 0114 to about 2614 you likely have the crappy one. I currently have Kenda's on the front of mine and they have a 2013 manufacture date and I have about 17,000 on them and they are just about ready to be changed.

Pirate looks at --
09-23-2016, 07:36 AM
The front tires were more of the problem on the 14s. The rear Kenda's always sucked. Prior to 14 you could get 15,000 to 20,000 on the front tires then they changed the compound and 7,000 to 10,000 was the norm. In May or June of 14 they changed the compound and went to something a bit harder. I don't remember anything one way or the other on the rear compound. I'm getting old.

If you have a front tire with a date of 0114 to about 2614 you likely have the crappy one. I currently have Kenda's on the front of mine and they have a 2013 manufacture date and I have about 17,000 on them and they are just about ready to be changed.

Only 17000 Ann? Lets see for you that is what 2 weeks??:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-23-2016, 07:45 AM

I'm currently at 16,000 miles on the front Kendas... They're starting to look a bit tired, but still have some life let in them
On my 2010: I had 17,208 miles on the front Kendas, and they were just about done...
So my very limited experience has shown me that the front tires seem to have gotten about the same mileage: no major changes or problems. :thumbup:

Tango
09-23-2016, 07:52 AM
Mike the rear crapender tires are just that. CRAP! :cus: Be real happy if your rear tire gets 5,000- 7,000 miles or more. Go for a car tire and you will never look back. :clap: :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Chupaca
09-23-2016, 10:10 AM
So much involved and this site has proven to be tough on tires. At this point I find it hard to believe many know how well the tires perform cause they always compare them to their cars and switch at the first chance. For those of you who did have two wheelers prior can you honestly say you got better mileage than the oem Kendas on your spyders..?? Do the car tires get as good a mileage on your spyders and they do on your cars..?? not saying don't go to car tires they have some good ones and some get you great mileage and it is your choice. :dontknow:

137929 Where to find the ware bars....

137931 What your tire will look like when you reach the ware bars.....19,000 miles

This is just me and I am not telling anyone what to use or defending any manufacturer. You need to use what you feel is the best tire for you and your passenger..

SpyderAnn01
09-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Gene, looks like you kept that tire on for several thousand miles more than you should have. I'm sure you were sliding around corners with that.

jcthorne
09-23-2016, 10:30 AM
2015 RT L here 6200 miles on my fronts and tires are wore bald on the inside. Rear tire is getting down to where I can maybe get 2000 miles out of it to be safe.

Yours is an alignment issue, not a tire issue.

AeroPilot
09-23-2016, 11:16 AM
So much involved and this site has proven to be tough on tires. At this point I find it hard to believe many know how well the tires perform cause they always compare them to their cars and switch at the first chance. For those of you who did have two wheelers prior can you honestly say you got better mileage than the oem Kendas on your spyders..?? Do the car tires get as good a mileage on your spyders and they do on your cars..?? not saying don't go to car tires they have some good ones and some get you great mileage and it is your choice. :dontknow:

137929 Where to find the ware bars....

137931 What your tire will look like when you reach the ware bars.....19,000 miles

This is just me and I am not telling anyone what to use or defending any manufacturer. You need to use what you feel is the best tire for you and your passenger..

Looks like your riding style, weight of the GS and overall roads and shifting with your SM5 must be pretty smooth! Thanks for the pics and description! Don't know if the GS correlates to the RT, but would like to know your tire pressure; you may have posted, but sometimes I can't even remember mine:D

Chupaca
09-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Because of the softer sidewalls and weight being lighter and the fact I can't seem to hold to the speed limit I run around 28 maybe less....

nesdspyder
09-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Yours is an alignment issue, not a tire issue.
Well, it has been aligned three times in 6200 miles and I really don't know what to say. WAITNG ON Can Am to come up front to me to tell me what is wrong. The fuse is getting SHORT!!:banghead:

Fat Baxter
09-23-2016, 11:34 PM
Chupaca -- that's what my original Kenda looked like when I changed it out at 6900 miles for a General Altimax RT43. (I have a 2014 RT-S)

I'm thinking hard about replacing the front stock Kendas. They now have 13,700 miles. I've noticed something odd: When I look down at the left tire, I see a solid spinning black disk (as one should). But when I look at the right tire, its outline seems to be fluttering, which I'm told indicates an out-of-round tire. What's really odd is that there's no uneven wear on either tire.

I'm thinking hard about a set of Kuhmo Solus KH16s soon. I'll just have to endure the bother of getting a non-Spyder shop to fit them (just as I had to do with the non-OEM rear a while back). I wish the dealers weren't so anal about non-OEM tires (and yes, I've read the threads about the legal issues).

IMO, the tire issue generates the most maintenance discussion. I saw a recent thread elsewhere on Spyderlovers urging BRP to consider shaft drive. I would rather BRP spent the effort on expanding their tire options.

Peter Aawen
09-24-2016, 02:11 AM
.....IMO, the tire issue generates the most maintenance discussion. I saw a recent thread elsewhere on Spyderlovers urging BRP to consider shaft drive. I would rather BRP spent the effort on expanding their tire options.

:agree: Especially since BRP have already had a vast amount of free 'on the road' research & testing done by owners that even if it hasn't been documented appropriately, clearly shows that there are viable tire alternatives! Simply by looking at the the sheer volume of people out there who are riding Spyders running non OE tires without killing themselves/having accidents who are also convinced they are getting better subjective results in ride, handling, safety, mileage, traction, & tire longevity shows that there are viable & even better alternatives than the crap tires they keep trying to foist upon us all!?! :mad: :banghead:

Besides, Treating all their product owners out there who have clearly shown they want better tire alternatives as idiots is NOT generally considered such a smart business move, & ultimately can only end up biting BRP in the arse! :mad: :banghead:

Richardv
09-24-2016, 07:48 AM
:agree: Especially since BRP have already had a vast amount of free 'on the road' research & testing done by owners that even if it hasn't been documented appropriately, clearly shows that there are viable tire alternatives! Simply by looking at the the sheer volume of people out there who are riding Spyders running non OE tires without killing themselves/having accidents who are also convinced they are getting better subjective results in ride, handling, safety, mileage, traction, & tire longevity shows that there are viable & even better alternatives than the crap tires they keep trying to foist upon us all!?! :mad: :banghead:

Besides, Treating all their product owners out there who have clearly shown they want better tire alternatives as idiots is NOT generally considered such a smart business move, & ultimately can only end up biting BRP in the arse! :mad: :banghead:

Can't say it any better........!!! :clap:

Dan McNally
09-24-2016, 08:13 AM
My belief is that Can Am is "married" to Kenda for one simple reason - economics. The least expensive option for Can Am is to use the same tires on all Spyders.

Because some states require that motorcycles have "motorcycle tires" on them, when the Spyder was first produced, BRP had to find a tire manufacturer which would manufacture a 'car" tire marked "motorcycle" to comply with those state requirements - sort of the "one size fits all" philosophy.

They probably put out for bids, and Kenda made them an offer they couldn't refuse - and also tied strings to the contract. Perhaps, Kenda was the only bidder, or came in at such a low cost that BRP signed the deal.

That puts us where we are, today - Kenda is driving the tire issue because of a contract BRP has with them. I can think of no other reason that BRP flexes its corporate muscle with regard to use of non-OEM tires. They would stand to make some serious cash if premium brand tires in the Spyder sizes were for sale in their catalog - so why don't they offer them? It has to be the contract with Kenda.

jus' sayin'

jaherbst
09-24-2016, 09:11 AM
I truly wonder sometimes if anyone here understands the difference in simple terms of the motorcycle tire and the car tire. "Motorcycle Tires" are always going to get less mileage than a "Car Tire". The plain and simple reason is All motorcycle tires are made of a softer rubber compound for better grip or traction due to the lighter weight of the M/C and thus lighter weight of the tire on the pavement.

Our Spyders average around roughly 1000# which equates to 333# per tire touching the road. Most mid-size cars average about 4000# and thus 1000# of pressure on the road per tire at four tires. Road pressure on a car tire is 3X greater. More weight on the tire equals more grip (traction). The Spyders do not have a lot of weight per tire thus the M/C tires.

Taking a much harder compound tire manufactured for a car (more weight) will always give you better mileage on your Spyder but much less traction (grip) wet or dry.

Average mileage on a rear M/C tire is about 8-10,000 miles. Front about 18-20,000 and that's what you should expect with any M/C tire.

The choice of course is yours. I will always choose a M/C tire for safety in extreme conditions over a car tire any day and replace more often for the above reasons. The Kenda is not a sub standard tire. It is doing what it is suppose to. Now if you feel compelled to do Burnouts and Jackrabbit starts every time you accelerate from a standing start, Maybe the Kenda is not for you. Road surface compound and your driving habits have a lot to do with the mileage of any tire whether it is a "Car" tire or a "M/C" tire.

Mileage is not the only thing to consider when choosing your tires.

Jack

Mickay
09-24-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm currently at 16,000 miles on the front Kendas... They're starting to look a bit tired, but still have some life let in them
On my 2010: I had 17,208 miles on the front Kendas, and they were just about done...
So my very limited experience has shown me that the front tires seem to have gotten about the same mileage: no major changes or problems. :thumbup:

Maybe cause by weight of the 2014 with the 3 cylinder.... it's heavier

Fat Baxter
09-24-2016, 05:55 PM
I truly wonder sometimes if anyone here understands the difference in simple terms of the motorcycle tire and the car tire. .............

Jack

Jack -- I'd agree with you if the Kendas didn't have a reputation for inconsistent quality. I think one of my front Kendas is going out-of-round, and I'd rather not risk a repeat down the road with yet another set of Kendas.

This doesn't negate my suggestion that BRP investigate other tire options. For example, I know that you can get a range of tires for BMWs, from sticky sports tires with relatively shorter life, to longer-lived touring tires. The Spyder could easily have the same: sticky for the guys who like canyon carving and finding the limits of their machine, and harder, long-lived touring tires for those who rack up lots of two-up, relatively straighter riding.

hyperdrive13
09-25-2016, 06:00 AM
After 5000+ miles on my 2014 RT, I am now seeing the center wear taking place on my OEM Kenda rear tire. Not sure if I will get another 2000 miles out of it. We almost always ride 2 up and I keep the rear suspension pressure correct for our weight as well as tire pressures. I think I will drop the rear tire pressure a couple of pounds to see if that helps with the wear issue. What do you guys think? My fronts seem to be fine so far. I am not sure if I am seeing the correct numbers for dates of manufacture but the only thing I found that comes close to a date is 5013. Wanted to check if I got the bad tires that have been talked about. Could that be correct? If not, wear do I find the date?

Peter Aawen
09-25-2016, 06:56 AM
....I think I will drop the rear tire pressure a couple of pounds to see if that helps with the wear issue. What do you guys think? .....

You could try, dropping a couple of pounds, it is unlikely to hurt any more now; but many have tried doing that to no avail & even less benefit!! The Kenda tires not only have less tread & sidewall plies than most other tires (2 tread & 1sidewall plies vs 4 tread & 2 sidewall plies minimum!) but their plies are made out of what looks like 30 denier thread while the majority of car & bike tires out there all use at least 60 denier thread, some even go to 90 denier thread!! With the Kenda's, when you add these fewer & flimsy plies to the already fairly soft compound & the crappy rubber they use, it basically means that as you rev the tire while riding, the centre of the tread throws out more than the sides of the tread that are anchored by the sidewalls & beads, meaning the centre of the tread is going to wear more than the sides pretty much regardless - and besides, once the tread has established a dodgy wear pattern like that (anything much more'n about 1000 miles will do that!) there's not a heap you can do to reverse it apart from making really significant changes in pressure or alignment ie, things like 40+ psi & running them against the recommended direction = read 'generally damn dangerous & almost always really uncomfortable' riding!! :shocked:

As for the date code, that 5013 is the correct sort of coding, & probably your tire was made in the 50th week of 2013 & is therefore very likely to be one of the 'softer compound' tires. Sorry. But on the bright side, if you've managed to get over 5000 miles out of it despite that then you have obviously been doing the right thing & have done really well!! Not many got too much more, & quite a few got a fair bit less, some even less than 1/2 that!! :opps: Still, it sounds like you are getting close to the end of safe/useful life of that tire, & you'd probably be very lucky to get another 2000 miles out of it!! They tend to 'go off' & become even more useless re grip & puncture resistance in the last couple of thousand miles anyway, but who knows, YMMV! ;)

Good Luck :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Jack -- I'd agree with you if the Kendas didn't have a reputation for inconsistent quality. I think one of my front Kendas is going out-of-round, and I'd rather not risk a repeat down the road with yet another set of Kendas.

This doesn't negate my suggestion that BRP investigate other tire options. For example, I know that you can get a range of tires for BMWs, from sticky sports tires with relatively shorter life, to longer-lived touring tires. The Spyder could easily have the same: sticky for the guys who like canyon carving and finding the limits of their machine, and harder, long-lived touring tires for those who rack up lots of two-up, relatively straighter riding.
Dear Mr Baxter, the reason BMW's and other Mtc. manufactures can do this is because they are using GENUINE MOTORCYCLE TIRES ........ not car tires stamped " for Mtc use only " ...........And this ( stamping ) is not a recommendation of Superiority ...... IT'S A WARNING ....... the tires will FAIL shortly after you put them on a CAR ....... because they are so WEAK & FLIMSEY ......Ask what Peter Aawen has to say on this ?????? ...... Mike :thumbup:

hyperdrive13
09-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Peter, thank you for the information, it was very helpful. Looks like I need to decide what I am going to replace it with and if I go with something other than Kenda I need to find someone that will put it on for me.

Bob Denman
09-25-2016, 05:07 PM
The differences between motorcycle and automotive tires are actually pretty significant; for very good reasons.
The "motorcycle" tires used by our Spyders are actually just a very lightly (some say TOO lightly), made automotive style tire... The bead is identical to what is used in the four-wheeled side of the market. This is due to the fact that the Spyders accelerate, corner, and stop: just like a car does! nojoke
If you want to use a car tire: feel free to do so! :thumbup:
Want to stay with your Kenda? That's cool too...
Just don't think that switching over to "The Dark Side", is automatically going to doom you and yours to Perdition's Flames! :shocked:

Peter Aawen
09-25-2016, 05:53 PM
..... The bead is identical to what is used in the four-wheeled side of the market.....

It's not just the bead, Bob (& every/any one else who's interested!) it's the entirety of the way the tire is constructed right down to the tread wedges & method of laying the belts & plies!! :opps:

Only just like you mentioned earlier Bob, on the Kenda's everything involved is at least half as 'strong' or 'heavy' as it is in a car tire; & in some cases, their components/construction is barely 1/4 as strong!! :yikes: These Kenda tires do not even vaguely resemble any other motorcycle tire construction; not in the belt & ply laying, not in the rubber compounds used, not in the sidewall or bead construction, not in ANY way; let alone having ANYTHING in common with them except for that (questionable?!) M/C label on the side!! :mad:

And as you also said Bob, since the Spyders accelerate, corner, & stop just like all cars do, there's really no reason against running car tires on them, especially since so many owners/riders have successfully run car tires without any issue, in fact experiencing nothing but a significant improvement in all aspects of tire (& Spyder) performance, ride, & handling!! :thumbup: