PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with LED headlights

kywinger
09-22-2016, 07:04 AM
These LED headlights are NOT the lights that Lamonster Garage sells.

Having trouble with LED headlights in a 2015 RT.
When first installed the lights seemed fine.
A while later I noticed the lights flickering and sometimesshutting off then on again.:gaah:
Lights shutting off at night is exciting.:shocked:
Sent the headlights back to the vendor for testing and thevendor stated they found no problem with the lights.

The stock halogen headlights do not have a noticeableflicker which I believe is due to halogen lights use filaments.
The filaments in the halogen lights would not cool fastenough to display a flicker.
LED lights are either on or off which would let a flicker showup.

After I received the LED headlights back from the vendor andinstalled them the lights still flicker.:banghead:

Would this be a BUDS problem.
Any ideas?

Thank y’all

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-22-2016, 08:40 AM
.----We just discussed this topic in a PM - But, What brand LED's are these ??? .... and if you turn them on how long does it take for them to start shutting off ???? ....... PMK may have the answer .......Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-22-2016, 11:03 AM
His signature at the bottom of the post indicates one brand, maybe it is those.

No plans to go further with it simply because others get emotional and start to cry when the truth is told.
Paul, when I referenced you I meant your previous answer to His question ...... and The brand He bought is reliable from everything I've ever heard about it....... As long as the shutter is not interfered with......Do you think a relay might be an issue ???? .......... Mike :thumbup:

kywinger
09-22-2016, 12:48 PM
When I first installed the LED headlights I had the driver inside the headlight bucket and thought the flicker was a heat problem.

I don't know when the problem started the first time due to the fact I didn't drive at night.

Moved the LED driver outside the headlight enclosure. The braids are spread out fully.
The flicker started soon after the lights come on and the shutter is not the problem.
Both headlights flicker and do shut off completely then come back on.

Bob Denman
09-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Is there any way to put a test-light on the power source over a period of time, and see what happens? :dontknow:
(Bad relay???)

cuznjohn
09-22-2016, 12:58 PM
i would call them, they are great people. i had the same lights you have, and they worked great on my 14 rt

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-22-2016, 01:11 PM
i would call them, they are great people. i had the same lights you have, and they worked great on my 14 rt
:agree::agree::agree: ........... the units could be defective ....call them........Mike :thumbup:

spidergreg
09-22-2016, 01:34 PM

I have these on my 2012RTS with over 11 months of use and have had no issues... very pleased with the performance. give them another call

kywinger
09-23-2016, 05:33 AM
I have spoken to the vendor, I have no problem with them. Sent the lights back to vendor for testing and no problem was found with the lights.

I believe the problem is with the Spyder RT circuity causing the flickering of the lights.
I'm not sure what relay y'all are talking about. Is there a relay outside to the headlight module.
Does the relay control both lights or would there be separate relays.

I have three Can-Am dealers which are about the same distance from me, about 115 miles.
I don't know if the BUDS could display a fault with the system.

Thank y'all for your input.

Bob Denman
09-23-2016, 07:58 AM
That's the best idea so far! :clap:

trgoldb
05-18-2020, 07:33 PM
I am researching the pros and cons of upgrading from halogen to LED headlights for my 2015 RT-S. I don't know what it means, but I have seen warnings about LEDs flickering or having other problems being caused by a CANBus error. If anybody knows what I'm talking about, please explain it to me!

KX5062
05-19-2020, 09:19 AM
CANBUS refers to the on-board computer that regulates the functionality of the electrical components on the bike (or car).

From Wikipedia:

A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other's applications without a host computer. It is a message-based protocol, designed originally for multiplex electrical wiring within automobiles to save on copper, but can also be used in many other contexts.

The long and short of it, is to buy LED bulbs that are rated as CANBUS safe or for use with CANBUS systems in order to reduce the error potential.