PDA

View Full Version : Are You, One of "Them"?

Bob Denman
09-21-2016, 02:02 PM
:dontknow:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/americas-super-gun-owners-161748423.html

ARtraveler
09-21-2016, 02:34 PM
An interesting article that should stimulate some good discussion.

As to the question...I am a no here. :yes:

cuznjohn
09-21-2016, 02:36 PM
only have 3, so no i am not one

vided
09-21-2016, 02:44 PM
I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me. :thumbup:

mxz600
09-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Yes I am, are you?

But I'm not scared and I don't own them for self protection per say. It may be a part of it but I just like things that go bang, or boom.

I used to hunt a lot but gave it all up over the years, slowly lost interest. But I still enjoy the crap out of shooting up targets. Especially exploding targets, best of both worlds, you get the bang and the boom.

And then there are the hunting knives, various legal explosives (know a guy that has a license to make fireworks), bows and arrows. I also own an old set of lawn darts with the metal tip, fun stuff.

As you can see I like to have a little fun. I do have one rule though if you come to play with me. No alcohol while playing!!nojoke

ARtraveler
09-21-2016, 03:02 PM
I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me. :thumbup:

And the _ _ _ is still watching. :yikes::yikes:

GOZFST
09-21-2016, 04:10 PM
>8 <140, so the answer is YES!

SNOOPY
09-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Yes

Personal protection

Against the government. < If that makes this a political post then ban my doggie butt. :p

PrairieSpyder
09-21-2016, 04:23 PM
I need a couple more in order to qualify as "super".

While many gun owners are staunch in their defense of what they consider their Second Amendment right to protect themselves, some experts say that the fear that motivates many to accumulate weapons can be dangerous in its own right.

“If we hope to reduce firearm suicide, if we hope to reduce the other potential dangers of guns, my gut is, we have to speak to that fear,” Harvard School of Public Health firearms researcher Deborah Azrael, the lead author of the study, told The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey).

So concern for 2nd Amendment rights is a pointer for firearm suicide?

SNOOPY
09-21-2016, 04:34 PM
I'll have to add that some of my guns I bought simply because I think they look cool and/or sound cool.

Nothing beats the sound and feel of a Russian Mosin going off in your hands, although I will say I haven't had the pleasure of shooting a 50 cal yet with a $10-$15 round in it...

I think a big part of this is "pleasure sport", everyone has their thing, let me have mine. I love the sound and feel of it. Same with my cars, this is no different.

Just because some punk uses it to rob a store is no reason to over control it....I can rob a store in the middle of the night with my car just as well...are we going to try and ban cars too?

Sorry, started to get on a roll there. Bad Snoopy. :roflblack:

Chupaca
09-21-2016, 04:37 PM
but do to some unfortunate luck while living in Texas....they were all stolen and I now don't qualify any longer. I am covered but not like before....:banghead:

Mexican
09-21-2016, 05:02 PM
I'm one of them, have a few more than 3, no particular reason, not esquizofrenic or fanatic, or scared , i just like them, big brother knows i got them since i had to fill out the legal forms.
If they want them you know they will get them so no sense to worry about it:thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-21-2016, 05:08 PM
Fear does not drive my firearms ownership; any more than it drives my wearing of safety gear on my Spyder, or having the best possible health insurance that I can afford... nojoke
I grew up in a family with a rich hunting heritage...
I actually own the muzzleloader that my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather William used to feed his family.
(He emigrated here in 1795...)
So if I fall into their latest categorization: I say, "So what?"

vided
09-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Sorry, started to get on a roll there. Bad Snoopy. :roflblack:

GOOD puppy :roflblack::roflblack:

SNOOPY
09-21-2016, 05:18 PM

:InsertDogEmoticonNotFoundOnOnlyThisForum:

Bob Denman
09-21-2016, 05:44 PM

kngfsh27
09-21-2016, 06:01 PM
WOW!!!!!!!! I am super at something.:yes:

Brettssunshine
09-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Yes, my husband and I are for different reasons.

Sam Mac
09-21-2016, 06:45 PM
What I own and the number is none of your business, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :roflblack::roflblack:

ES44AC
09-21-2016, 06:47 PM
:thumbup: gun owner !:thumbup:

Trbayth
09-21-2016, 06:50 PM
I live in New Jersey; you figure it out! ;)

safecracker
09-21-2016, 06:59 PM
I have more than 3 and less than 50. I think.

Bfromla
09-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Yes

Personal protection

Against the government. < If that makes this a political post then ban my doggie butt. :p

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160922/6fad17bbc95f87e5c4ef91b5c1a06b56.jpg

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

retread
09-21-2016, 09:47 PM
I got interested in guns when I was a kid, at one point, I had an extensive collection. Now, 4 long guns, a few hand guns, and a pellet pistol that I can pump up to around 900 fps!

john

BajaRon
09-21-2016, 10:38 PM
The problem with all of this is you'd have to account for every gun to come up with good numbers. There are so many unaccounted for weapons out there that I think the truth of the matter is a fair distance from what is claimed in this article.

There are several states that do not require any accounting and guns are bought and sold without anyone but the participants knowing about it. Of course this goes on, to a degree, in every state, regardless of the legal requirements.

Bob Denman
09-22-2016, 07:04 AM
:agree: I posted the article to give everyone an idea of how they are now trying to "marginalize" gun-owners.
Minimize our numbers, by saying that only a "few" of us actually own the guns...
...Kind of like "Super Predators"; don't you think? nojoke

otter28169
09-22-2016, 07:17 AM
The "fear of violence is unfounded"....................and are you the king of your own little world under that rock of yours? There is plenty of violence here, and life is much less violent here than in the rest of the world. When it comes to the number of guns I own I will admit this much; I have plenty. I am not afraid of the end of civilization, I am not paranoid about my government, and I am a law abiding citizen. My entire family goes to the range and the shale bed to shoot, because kids who know guns respect them. I have, in the past fed the family with them. They are a tool, and a responsibility: two things most people do not have enough of these days.

Just sayin'............

Orange Spyder Man
09-22-2016, 07:24 AM
I think that article is just government propaganda.. they are attempting to down play gun ownership..

osm

jaherbst
09-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Of course you should all know and if you do not: the second amendment was not for self protection then it was to protect the citizens against government. Now days it is getting more use as protecting ones family and self in our own homes. I would hope we do not have to use it someday for it's original intent.

Jack

Lew L
09-22-2016, 09:54 AM
​ YES

Bob Denman
09-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Of course you should all know and if you do not: the second amendment was not for self protection then it was to protect the citizens against government. Now days it is getting more use as protecting ones family and self in our own homes. I would hope we do not have to use it someday for it's original intent.

Jack
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
This was written to insure that an armed citizenry could be the last line of defense against ALL aggressors: both foreign and domestic. nojoke

Machinegunner
09-22-2016, 11:14 AM
If you know how many guns you have..... YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH. Most of you know I have some. Gun collecting is no different than collecting old cars, or art, or knitting needles. Wood carvings, sculptures. To many just admiring the beautiful wood and workmanship is very satisfying, it helps soothe the soul.

Lostinthenet
09-22-2016, 11:29 AM
I guess I am one. From the family's revolutionary black power musket to the 4 glocks I inherited when my father in law passed away. Actually most of mine were his. No if anyone breaks in and ever try's firing the musket God help them had it black light inspected and was told I would be lucky if it just blew up but would most likely come apart and projectile at me. Prior to 2 years ago only my 1911A and 22 we're the only firearms in the house. Then inherited 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
09-22-2016, 11:35 AM
:shocked: Is that musket one of the .69 caliber unrifled ones? :bowdown:

CanAmMick
09-22-2016, 11:53 AM
We qualify as the three percent. We hunt, we shoot a lot, both are instructors, and we conceal carry. It's something that we really enjoy. My wife and I were raised with guns and we love shooting.

For every article you find on the Internet, you can always find a different one about guns, or anything else for that matter.

I found it interesting when they said:

“The desire to own a gun for protection – there’s a disconnect between that and the decreasing rates of lethal violence in this country.

Seems to me that it's going up, but from what you read they say it actually been going down since the mid 60's. Maybe it's just because they mainly seem to report the bad things that happen now days. The news is full of it every day.

Stumpy6Guns
09-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Everyone has their personal "code of conduct". I have two rules in mine that I try to observe without fail:

Never sit with your back to the door.
Never allow your name to come to the attention of the authorities.

Posting firearms ownership status on an open forum breaks both of them!

retread
09-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Some of these posts are waking up memories; when I was on Camp Drum, I went to an estate sale, picked up a roll of newspaper about 4 feet long for $25. Three weeks later, the gunsmith friend that I had asked to finish the clean up offered me 10 times what I paid for it. Turned out to be a Beretta .410 side by side, black finished metal with silver inlays, ebony furniture with ivory inlays. I never fired that gun, sold it 30 years later to a collector for an undisclosed amount. Wish I'd kept it.

john

kep-up
09-22-2016, 09:03 PM
A gun is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. A chain saw is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Both are inanimate objects that can do nothing on their own. Both can be usefull and both can maim or kill a human. One is not more permissible to use than the other. It is th e human on the control end that makes the decision how to use the tool.

I own some guns. Shotguns, rifles, and handguns. All but one are stored in a gunsafe, but were stored in a glass front gun cabinet until a few years ago. I have to say that in over 50 years, not one of my guns opened the cabinet or the safe, loaded itself and went out looking for someone to shoot. Guns are a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. I can't quite wrap my mind around why the progressives in this country can't grasp this fact except that they have more long reaching plans in mind.

I have more I could say, but I think I'll stop here for now.