PDA

View Full Version : Slight Clutch Drag

wanderingman
09-21-2016, 08:22 AM
I have a 2015 RtSe. When I come to a full stop such as at a stoplight, my RT has a very slight forward creep. Of course it is in 1st gear. The idle speed moves between 800 and 900 RPM. This occurs on level ground or even with a very slight incline. Is this a common situation or do I need to have a clutch adjustment made? I have 1700 mile on my trike. It is not a riding problem but I do not want to glaze my clutch.

rcturner
09-21-2016, 03:28 PM
That is what a wet clutch does. However, make sure you are not applying any throttle when bike is at rest.

Chupaca
09-21-2016, 04:41 PM
They do that but should be slight..It will vary with engine heat and oil condition. With the sm5 I can release the clutch and mossey on down the road with no throttle. But then our idle is 1350/1400...:thumbup:

wanderingman
09-21-2016, 09:35 PM
I am not used to a wet clutch. The reason it was of concern was that I would have my hands completely of the grips and it was doing it. A wet clutch make perfect sense that it would creep.

4 MARIE
09-21-2016, 09:42 PM
Like any automatic, your car for instance, you stop, and if you take your foot off the brake it will creep forward.
I have never viewed this as a big deal. Partly because I KNOW when stopped, like a traffic signal, you want to have
your brakes firmly applied to avoid being gently pushed out into traffic , even by someone a couple cars back..
You are certainly no more "hurting" your clutch, than every start from zero mph. The little idle surge you talked about...
well certainly not uncommon in a highly tuned engine like our crazy capable RTs. Just enjoy.

wanderingman
09-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Like any automatic, your car for instance, you stop, and if you take your foot off the brake it will creep forward.
I have never viewed this as a big deal. Partly because I KNOW when stopped, like a traffic signal, you want to have
your brakes firmly applied to avoid being gently pushed out into traffic , even by someone a couple cars back..
You are certainly no more "hurting" your clutch, than every start from zero mph. The little idle surge you talked about...
well certainly not uncommon in a highly tuned engine like our crazy capable RTs. Just enjoy.

I understand your point but comparing the SE to an automatic transmission is not really a good analogy because it uses a clutch and manual transmission just like an Manual. The wet clutch is probably closer to a torque converter. I had failed to realize that it was a wet clutch. A slight creep like is normal on our Spyders will glaze a dry clutch. That was my concern. I guess one of my problems is that I enjoy riding too much to take the time to look in the manual enough. In addition I get great answers on this site.