PDA

View Full Version : 2013 RT-S - SE-5

STELLING MAN
09-20-2016, 01:11 PM
I need some Info from the experts, does the se-5 shift by vacume or electric or both, I just started getting a chattering-ratteling sound when I shift. It Is worse when downshifting than upshifting though you can hear It louder coming down through the gears.. Any Ideas. a friend of mine said It sounds like vacume hose leaking or maybe off..

STELLING MAN
09-21-2016, 07:53 AM
I was hoping somebody might have an Idea what Is causing the rattling-chattering sound when downshifting, I'm going to take It to the dealer In the next few days, thanks again..

jcthorne
09-21-2016, 08:47 AM
The SE trans uses electrical solenoids to actuate the gear change. The solenoids control hydraulic pressure, from the engine oil feed.

Your chatter sounds like the centrifugal clutch. a bit of chatter when starting up from a dead stop when the oil is cold is pretty normal for these bikes. Doing so once the bike is at operating temp or when shifting while moving is not normal.

Have you checked the oil level? These 998 engine bikes consume oil as part of the design. Low oil level is the cause of many clutch and shifting issues on these bikes.

Peter Aawen
09-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Hmm, I thought you'd get more answers sooner, & I started this saga before you'd got any! :( But for what it's worth, I'm also pretty sure there is no vacuum involved in shifting the gears in the SE5's, AFAIK it's all electric solenoids & oil pressure! Can you tell us exactly what it is about your problem/these noises that makes you think the noise is specifically transmission related & not saaaay, something to do with the engine top end?? Is it just the noises relationship with or the timing of your gear changes & the noise occurring? Or something else? :dontknow:

Not positive that I can help you much because I haven't had a great deal of exposure to Spyders with these particular problems, but I can try throwing some random thoughts out there - they might help you, or possibly might prompt a helpful comment from someone else.... one can only try! :sour:

Chattering & rattling noises like those you've described are sometimes associated with a worn centrifugal clutch, but when they are, those noises usually occur or are noticeably worse when changing UP, not down; & another thing - a worn or dodgy centrifugal clutch will usually tend to make the vehicle want to move even at idle.... A centrifugal clutch that's working properly normally has to work harder to DIS-engage at idle than they do to work and 'lock' in order to transmit drive - 'locked at revs' is their 'natural resting state' & everything has to be in good nick & adjusted correctly for them to disengage properly at idle. So when they are in good condition they will generally 'lock up' fairly readily as the revs increase; but when they are in poor or worn condition it becomes harder for their weakened springs &/or worn components to disengage at idle; so that means when worn they tend to want to transmit some drive most of the time, even at lower revs & idle, & hence they get a tendency to 'creep' at idle as they get weaker & more worn - altho when they die completely, they often won't transmit any drive at all!! :p

There again, if it's not the gearbox or the centrifugal clutch, maybe your front drive pulley is working loose or running on a damaged spline - it's not an un-heard of problem & that will generally make more noise when the load is off while you are coasting to slow or changing down thru the gears & also won't usually make as much noise when you are accelerating; at least not in the early-ish stages when putting everything under load means the worn or loose bits all get pulled together under pressure & there's still parts of the spline in the pulley that can still grip the shaft!! :shocked:

Not much definite to go on I know, but maybe just enough to help?! I hope you get it sorted. :thumbup:

STELLING MAN
09-21-2016, 09:21 AM
The oil level Is full and the:spyder:only has about 16,000 Mi. on It, a friend and I are trying to get It sorted out before I take It to the dealer because he has a two week backlog right now to get It In. Thanks again for your help everybody..