PDA

View Full Version : Success on adding a ION camera to a RT

seaweed
09-19-2016, 06:14 PM
I was inspired to add the ION camera by Tazzel. Thanks Tazzel!:bowdown:

The top of the dash is to high to mount the camera on the handlebar and have it viewing the road. Besides with the weird shape of the handlebar it would have been difficult. I had bought the camera via Amazon for about $45 and the iON Camera5002 Helmet and Bike Kit https://www.amazon.com/iON-Camera-50...0FRA0B1GXKZNRD .
There was two fixtures to mount the camera on helmets but the curvature of the helmets is a lot different then the small curvature of top of the RT dash. So decided to reshape one of the fixtures.

Using a microwave and clamping I finally got it very close. I started the timing of the microwave @ 15 seconds, and slowly worked my way up to 2 minutes. That time and the following clamping method did the trick.

I then used one of the double sided and one of the single sided adhesives strips that came with the kit. After cleaning off a spot on the dash with alcohol swabs, I placed the fixture on the dash and clamped it for several hours.

I added a tether to the fixture as a safety factor. Ran for a short ryde today to check it out. I guess I should have cleaned the bug spots of the windshield first!!!

Now I need to learn how to edit the video files. Also what software tools to use.:yes:

pitzerwm
09-19-2016, 09:43 PM
It should come with some kind of video software, if not try Windows Video Maker, there are plenty of free ones too. Does it connect to power thru out the ride or just run on rechargeable ones. One of my cameras won't record when aux powered.

seaweed
09-20-2016, 03:04 PM
It should come with some kind of video software, if not try Windows Video Maker, there are plenty of free ones too. Does it connect to power thru out the ride or just run on rechargeable ones. One of my cameras won't record when aux powered.

The ION camera does not come with video software. I do not have Windows Video Maker but found that I had Avidemux 2.6 on my computer. I had forgotten about that software. Works good, easy, and can delete audio if I wish.

The camera can be charged while ryding but I have not set up the power port yet, just another frakle on my do do list. No the camera cannot record and be charge at the same time. That is a drawback. :banghead: