PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake pads

Joerolwing
09-16-2016, 03:39 PM
I am attempting to install new EBC brake pads on the rear of my 2014 RT-S SE6 and appear to be unable to compress the pads enough to slide onto the disk. I have a little over 15,000 miles on it and the outside pad was worn out and the inside with more than 1/2 pad remaining. I have the front cap off the fluid reservoir, and it looks like the piston is fully compressed. Can I just replace the worn out one, using one new and one original but slightly worn? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
joe

billybovine
09-16-2016, 03:43 PM
I am attempting to install new EBC brake pads on the rear of my 2014 RT-S SE6 and appear to be unable to compress the pads enough to slide onto the disk. I have a little over 15,000 miles on it and the outside pad was worn out and the inside with more than 1/2 pad remaining. I have the front cap off the fluid reservoir, and it looks like the piston is fully compressed. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
joe

I hope you have not tried a c-clamp yet. That will damage it. There are 2 dimples on the piston. I used a needle nosed pliers in those dimples and rotated the piston in. After it is reinstalled do not activate the parking brake until you have pumped the piston back out with the pedal.

Joerolwing
09-16-2016, 04:23 PM
I hope you have not tried a c-clamp yet. That will damage it. There are 2 dimples on the piston. I used a needle nosed pliers in those dimples and rotated the piston in. After it is reinstalled do not activate the parking brake until you have pumped the piston back out with the pedal.
I've not, but it looks like the piston is a little cattywompus, and it won't turn. I'm not attempting to reinstall the original pads and hand brake, then pump the brakes in an attempt to correct the piston. I've not applied any more force than a screwdriver attempting to lever it in, but apparently this was enough. I now have it all back together with the original pads, and finished for the day. I will attempt this again tomorrow morning

Joerolwing
09-16-2016, 04:42 PM
I've not, but it looks like the piston is a little cattywompus, and it won't turn. I'm not attempting to reinstall the original pads and hand brake, then pump the brakes in an attempt to correct the piston. I've not applied any more force than a screwdriver attempting to lever it in, but apparently this was enough. I've

arude1
09-16-2016, 08:10 PM
I am attempting to install new EBC brake pads on the rear of my 2014 RT-S SE6 and appear to be unable to compress the pads enough to slide onto the disk. I have a little over 15,000 miles on it and the outside pad was worn out and the inside with more than 1/2 pad remaining. I have the front cap off the fluid reservoir, and it looks like the piston is fully compressed. Can I just replace the worn out one, using one new and one original but slightly worn? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
joe
I just did my rear pads. Used a long nosed pliers to turn the piston about 2 or 3 turns . very hard to turn for me. My wrists are still sore!

IGETAROUND
09-17-2016, 05:49 AM
It takes a fair amount of force to decompress the rear piston; it turns counterclockwise and large needle nose pliers is the tool of choice.

And No you should replace BOTH pads with new; clean and lubricate the sliding pins on the caliper to try and get more even pad wear side to side.

Good luck and keep us posted. Shop manuals are wonderful tools also!!