PDA

View Full Version : Be careful

vided
09-16-2016, 03:16 PM
I wasn't going to post this, but maybe it will help someone else.

i came home after my ride this morning and as I got to the top of the
driveway I saw a white van parked in front of the garage.
as I got off the bike I saw the garage door was a jar.
this is when I went stupid. I started yelling WHAT THE F:cus:.
the door opened and this big low life scumbag comes scurrying out, almost knocks
me down, gets in his van and is gone, with the back doors flapping.
he got a few things.
there are so many better ways to have handled this.
Oh well, the stuff can be replaced, the feeling of security????

mowin
09-16-2016, 03:19 PM
That sucks. I can say I would have dialed 911 before saying anything, and I always carry.

Glad you're ok. Hopefully the scumbag will crash into a tree and meet his maker..

cuznjohn
09-16-2016, 03:21 PM
i hope you got a plate number

ARtraveler
09-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Wow Vided. That brings it right to home and personal. Glad to hear you are all right. The outcome could have been much worse. I think you handled your end okay, and did not get involved with a confrontation. That's usually when the guns come out, and someone (not always the perp) gets shot.

Brettssunshine
09-16-2016, 03:24 PM
:yikes:
Glad you're ok. That could have been a lot worse.

I love our security system. The peace of mind it gives is worth the $45 a month fee.

mxz600
09-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Brings back some bad memories for me. Lost cash, electronics and some old family jewelry that could never be replaced. My fault on the last one, should of had a safe.

Glad you were not harmed physically but emotionally it may take a while. The wife and I felt violated, just not right somebody going through your personal things. Not cool.

Glad your situation didn't turn out worse than it did.

Sam Mac
09-16-2016, 04:11 PM
Glad your OK. I agree with what the others have said. I protect myself and my place with things that go bang.

Chupaca
09-16-2016, 05:58 PM
really sorry to hear, when in Texas had a similar incedent but did not see them...Glad your alright and only lost some stuff....:banghead:

Bob Denman
09-16-2016, 06:06 PM
I know that it's too late for this time...

But approach the vehicle, and check to see if the keys are in it...
If they are: slip the door open, and pull them out of the switch! :D
The little :cus:er will CRAP himself, when he tries to start the getaway car! :roflblack:

Dmpsam
09-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Wow! That's crazy to say the least, and super dangerous to catch them in the act!
Thank goodness they didn't shoot you.
Pretty nervy of them in broad daylight! Brazen and bold!

kngfsh27
09-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Really glad you are alive to tell us about this. I hate it that you have had your life violated, but you are alive. So many times these encounters go bad. Hopefully, you have some information for the authorities.

Tazzel
09-16-2016, 07:46 PM
If the cops come at all, it will be to late. unless some one is bleeding or challenging their authority, its not an emergency.

vided
09-17-2016, 05:24 AM
thanks for all the thoughts.
the troopers spent about 3 hrs here, and they showed up quick.
the scumbag got about $1000.00 worth of stuff, including my favorite cordless drill.
i'm glad he didn't have time to get much more.
it's one thing to come home to the aftermath, but interrupting the low life is totally different.
i'm still playing the woulda shoulda over and over in my head.
as far as carrying, i'm right at the ct line and go into ct many time a day.
i should look into getting a ct permit.

thanks

Orange Spyder Man
09-17-2016, 07:43 AM
45ACP Kimber Crimson Carry 24/7 & know how to use it..& ..... home security.. glad you were not killed..

osm

Jim&Teresa
09-17-2016, 07:55 AM
I think by sharing this Vided, that you raised awareness for all of us and make us think how we would handle a situation like this. Thanks.

I am glad you're OK and I hope they catch that person..... things can be replaced.

Good luck with your situation...hope all turns out well for you.

Bob Denman
09-17-2016, 08:21 AM
The question of carrying, versus not carrying; is one that requires a whole lot of serious thought. nojoke
It's not about the sidearm: it's about what happens after the trigger has been pulled, and the bleeding has started.:shocked:
Not everybody is capable of making the split-second decision, to put an end to some scumbag who probably deserves it.

Beyond the moral issues: there's some pretty clear laws about killing burglars... You can only use deadly force, if you are threatened by the same. (That's not the entire wording; but is close enough for this discussion).
If you shoot an idiot that you catch with your stuff, and they don't have a weapon: you'll be the one in front of jurors...

For the record: I carry! :thumbup:

pitzerwm
09-17-2016, 01:07 PM
The question of carrying, versus not carrying; is one that requires a whole lot of serious thought. nojoke
It's not about the sidearm: it's about what happens after the trigger has been pulled, and the bleeding has started.:shocked:
Not everybody is capable of making the split-second decision, to put an end to some scumbag who probably deserves it.

Beyond the moral issues: there's some pretty clear laws about killing burglars... You can only use deadly force, if you are threatened by the same. (That's not the entire wording; but is close enough for this discussion).
If you shoot an idiot that you catch with your stuff, and they don't have a weapon: you'll be the one in front of jurors...

For the record: I carry! :thumbup:

Everything Bob said, PLUS IMO until you can handle killing someone, don't own/carry a gun. Your indecision at the moment of a problem will either cost you a lot of money or your life. Thinking that just pointing it at someone and they will do what you say isn't going to happen. Shooting them in the leg to wound them will also be expensive. The reality is that killing them will also be expensive, because their low life relatives will be suing you for wrongful death, even if you are totally justified.

I carry, because I have mentally and financially addressed these problems, but you need to get there yourself.

All that being said, here is an alternative: get yourself and your wife of course, the small size pepper spray. Its like a large lip balm, it will spray a stream 15' easy (like the wasp sprays) hit them in the upper chest/face they are going to be hurting long enough that you can get away, or beat the hell out of them with a baseball bat. AND NO it doesn't blow back into your face. Its a stream, I wouldn't spray it into a 50mph wind, but that is never going to be your problem.

Even if you carry this gives you an option

vided
09-17-2016, 06:10 PM
I went to get some long deck screws this afternoon, as I was better securing a door.
the case with all kinds of fasteners WAS GONE, the lowlife :cus: got that also :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Geoandkay
09-17-2016, 06:52 PM
I'm glad you are running this scenario over in your head to evaluate what happened. In our house, we discussed in detail what to do in case of a fire, but NEVER about an intruder.

Two weeks ago, for the first time, my burglar alarm went off about 3AM. Within the next 5-10 minutes, I made at least five potentially serious mistakes as I ran through the house in bare feet, no cell phone, turning off alarm ASAP, opening a windowless door from the house to the garage (when the alarm said a side garage door was the problem) etc.

Fortunately, the problem turned out to be a system failure (wet transponder from a tropical storm going through) but it could have been worse. The point is, prepare and plan. I was literally a bare-foot pilgrim. That will never happen again!
George

Motorcycledave
09-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Can you say ALARM and Video cameras

vided
09-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Can you say ALARM and Video cameras

Alarm was off:hun:

cameras are on the menu

PrairieSpyder
09-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Like others have said, I'm glad you're OK. As you go through the situation in your mind, you can rehearse what you would have done differently, like calling 911 before speaking out . . Or not speaking out at all. Then maybe the cops would be there when the perp comes back out. Unfortunately, the same situation will probably never happen again. But I believe that being mentally prepared will help, even so.

Thanks for for sharing your experience with us. Now we can practice, to.

ES44AC
09-17-2016, 08:22 PM
I conceal carry, but is that an option in NY ? These people are more and more bold every day, that's why I choose to be able to protect my family. This happened to a LEO I know. He came back home to get something he forgot and found 3 drug addicts in his house. They admitted to watching him leave before they entered. Very scary and bold... You got to be tuff to be Stupid!

Habib
09-17-2016, 08:44 PM
.40 S&W

Bob Denman
09-18-2016, 08:10 AM
I conceal carry, but is that an option in NY ? These people are more and more bold every day, that's why I choose to be able to protect my family. This happened to a LEO I know. He came back home to get something he forgot and found 3 drug addicts in his house. They admitted to watching him leave before they entered. Very scary and bold... You got to be tuff to be Stupid!

Yes; it is an option. :thumbup:
Upstate New York's permits do not specify method of carry. They just state that the "permit to carry", has been granted.