PDA

View Full Version : How many miles can you ride when gas light comes on RT model?

Naben
09-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Does anybody Know how many miles you can ride your RT when the gas light comes on? Just curious, and good info to know.

M109Dreamer
09-15-2016, 09:20 PM
Depends if its a 998 or 1300's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ARtraveler
09-15-2016, 09:27 PM
Our current RT's

The 2011--around 150 miles

The 2014--around 210 miles.

Recommend using a more accurate method. Set the A or B trip meter to zero each time you fill up. Fill up to the same level each time. Compute miles per gallon for as many fill up as you can. This will give you an average and information as to how many miles you can go. The 998 has 6.2 gallons--but the most I ever put in was 5.8. Cant remember how many gallons the 1330 has. Most I have driven before fill up is 220 miles.

When the light comes on its time to start looking for gas. You have about 30 to 50 miles left--depending on your machine.

We usually fill anytime around 100 to 150 miles on the tank. Better safe than sorry--IMO. :yes:

Dudley
09-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Until you run out of gas, then check the miles. If you run that close you will run out one day. When on a trip I will gas up between 125 and 140. Better safe than sorry. In a serious answer to your question, I would not trust anyone's answer. A machine is not meant to be trusted this way. Too many variables involved.

trikermutha
09-16-2016, 06:07 AM
:agree:

depends on how fast I am driving along with 2 up driving and pulling a trailer. The gas mileage varies.

loisk
09-16-2016, 06:48 AM
The real worry is when the gas light goes Out after being on... No bars, refuel light on for ages, then went off ... as you can guess I was sweating until the next country town and a service station! Needless to say I've made sure this has never happened again, and travel the countryside with spare fuel, especially when I'm on my own.
In hindsight, I'd refilled a hot engine on a hot day, and the heat of the fuel meant that I really hadn't filled it beyond about 3/4, which is a big difference in range for some of our highways!
So I'm sorry I'm not about to re-test how far you can go -- I made it to the service station and that was a great relief.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-16-2016, 06:50 AM
Does anybody Know how many miles you can ride your RT when the gas light comes on? Just curious, and good info to know.
. Nobody knows - if someone says they do - well, they are guessing. This question has no usable trustworthy answer.....................JMHO.......Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-16-2016, 07:18 AM
Personally: I've ridden an extra 25 miles with the light staring at me. :shocked:

But it's not good for your blood pressure, to do so! nojoke

Bob Denman
09-16-2016, 07:34 AM
Based on a few fill ups with the light on for a bit, that may be a safe, close estimate. Going over 65 will maybe lower that number and low traffic around town will raise it, but that is about all I would push it.

:D That one single word; is what all of this boils down to! :roflblack:

DC1
09-16-2016, 08:15 AM
When my light came on I was pulling into a gas station...It held over 6 gallons....My understanding is the tank holds 7.1 total.... So I figure it had about a gallon or less left, which means to me I have somewhere around 25 to 30 miles and I am walking....Assuming the fuel pump will suck the tank dry and it holds what the factory says it will.....

JayBros
09-16-2016, 08:16 AM
I've averaged 36.5 mpg since buying the Spyder, low of 31.1 and high of 42.9. I've run a good number of tanks at 25+ miles once the low fuel light came on. I've not yet put more than 5.95 gal in the tank on a fill up. Leaving 1/2 gal. for cushion against running out I could reasonably expect to routinely get 40 miles once the light comes on but I don't like to stretch it. I've pushed an out of gas two-wheeler 10 miles and wouldn't want to have to do that with a Spyder.

Dan McNally
09-16-2016, 08:22 AM
The most accurate answer to your question is: "It depends." My low level light comes on when I have a between 1 1/2 and 2 gallons left in the tank. I've gotten as little as 24 MPG and as much as 38 MPG, depending on riding conditions - 80 MPH or 35 MPH - flat straight roads, or twisties in the mountains.

There is no specific answer to your question.

The last time I screwed up and let the low level light come on, I rode 26 miles, and still had over a gallon left in the tank. - I was on a very flat road with no hills and was running 50 MPH or less.

As mentioned above, figure out your mileage, based on your machine and how you drive. Once you know your average mileage, refuel before you've blown through approximately 5 gallons and you'll never have a problem.

AeroPilot
09-16-2016, 08:24 AM
You best be within 30 miles or cell range of the next town. Two weeks ago headed into a 25 mph wind from the south, the light came on as I rolled out of Sublette KS heading to Liberal with only ranches and antelope between them. I should have turned around, but cruised on reducing my speed from 65 to 55 and tried to leave a voicemail message for family in Liberal. After 34 miles I rolled into the quick stop at the north end of town and put 6.2 gals in the tank. I don't think that the last half gallon of stated capacity is usable, but not willing to try it.

Shifter
09-16-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm getting 10 kpl
Light comes on at 140 kms and it takes 14 litres.
Supposed to hold 25 litres so should have 11 litres up my sleeve.
That's another 110 kms.
Not game to try it out but,,, maybe withbackup juice..

Chupaca
09-16-2016, 09:21 AM
The only reason I check my MPG when I first get a new vehicle is so I know how far I can go when the warning light comes on. We have a bit more than a gallon left and that is the limit...never fails me. I do ryde on the fast side so slowing down to maximize the range is the way to go. I have never been 33 miles from a gas station so when the light comes on I head to one and refill....:thumbup:

ARtraveler
09-16-2016, 02:33 PM
It is very true that the numbers will vary from one machine to another. There are countless variables involved. Wind, weight, pulling a trailer, the right hand, etc. etc.

Bottom line--use a number system for a ballpark idea of how much left. Don't push it if you don't have to. I am ready for a break at 100 miles or less. A good time to fill it up for peace of mind.

I still remember not filling up when I had an opportunity.
We were on the road between Tok, Alaska and Destruction Bay Yukon. One of the loneliest roads I have been on. No population for a hundred miles and a car every fifteen minutes or so. The lights went on (both :spyder2::ani29:'s) while going down this road. That was the longest thirty miles or so I have ever driven. We made it, but not with much gas to spare. Then we saw the sign, "No Gas for the next 100 miles." I guarantee I filled up appropriately for the return trip.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-16-2016, 08:09 PM
When my light came on I was pulling into a gas station...It held over 6 gallons....My understanding is the tank holds 7.1 total.... So I figure it had about a gallon or less left, which means to me I have somewhere around 25 to 30 miles and I am walking....Assuming the fuel pump will suck the tank dry and it holds what the factory says it will.....
BRP states the actual ....VOLUME ...( mathematical measurement ) of the gas tank ..... However, that amount of liquid CANNOT BE Put in the tank , by design......So just use some common sense, I also carry enough GAS to go 15 +/- miles if I need to ...... I have never needed it but I have saved some other folks a long walk :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:...... Mike :thumbup:

safecracker
09-16-2016, 08:38 PM
On average we will get the light from 120 to 150 miles. Depends, in Maine half the interstate is 75 mph, so I will get the light at 120. doing 50-60 mph it will come at 150ish. Bruce

flaggerphil
09-17-2016, 02:57 AM
When my RT was new I once went 30 miles with the light on before finding a gas station when I was riding from St Louis to the Florida Space Coast. Hadn't been paying attention until it came on and was sweating bullets until I pulled into the station.

These days I zero out my mileage at every gas stop and, depending, gas up between 100 and 120 miles.

My original analog gas gauge was useless, my second didn't work at all, but the third works well enough to give me a heads up to check my mileage. Since that one time I've never come close to running myself out.

IGETAROUND
09-17-2016, 05:35 AM
Filled up yesterday after adding 1 gal to my tank from redda can. Had 207 miles on odometer and took 6.13 gallons!!! Still only getting ~ 29 MPG with 32K on the clock. the longest I've ever gone is 171 miles on a tank.

Fat Baxter
09-17-2016, 08:28 PM
I've been able to get almost to 200 miles before the light comes on, but that's just rolling on two-lane back roads with the cruise set to 60. That works out to 37 mpg. Constant interstate cruising is another matter; my mileage drops to 32-34 mpg.

I have a 2014 RT-S.

Bob Denman
09-18-2016, 08:02 AM
I've ridden 236.4 miles, and shoved 5.557 gallons into the tank:42.5 mpg! :yes:

Peter Aawen
09-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Are you still running the standard sized tire Bob?? Cos if you are, then it's almost certain that your Speedo/odo are inaccurate so that your odo/trip meter AND your speedo will be a mite optimistic (often by almost 10%!!) Which means the odo/trip meter will tell you that you've travelled about 110 miles instead of 100; & your speedo will tell you that you rode at 70mph when it was actually only about 63 mph that you were doing!! So your fuel economy calc will always show something 'just a bit' better than what you are really getting!! :shocked:

Mr. White
09-18-2016, 07:17 PM
I never look at the light. I reset my GPS odometer with each fill up and depending on where I am, like west Texas, I plan my stops so I don't have to push Mr. Cognac. I figure 30 mpg and start looking at 130-150 miles. I get better mileage but 30 is easy to figure when to stop.

:spyder2:

DC1
09-19-2016, 05:51 AM
I've been able to get almost to 200 miles before the light comes on, but that's just rolling on two-lane back roads with the cruise set to 60. That works out to 37 mpg. Constant interstate cruising is another matter; my mileage drops to 32-34 mpg.

I have a 2014 RT-S.

I do about this good on 2 lane back roads but on the interstate I am lucky to get 30mpg....I usually run around 80 mph so I get around 28 mpg.... I am amazed by some of the gas mileage numbers posted here, especially ones in the 40's, mine wouldn't get in the 40's at 50 mph with a 30 mph tailwind.....

Bob Denman
09-19-2016, 06:59 AM
Are you still running the standard sized tire Bob?? Cos if you are, then it's almost certain that your Speedo/odo are inaccurate so that your odo/trip meter AND your speedo will be a mite optimistic (often by almost 10%!!) Which means the odo/trip meter will tell you that you've travelled about 110 miles instead of 100; & your speedo will tell you that you rode at 70mph when it was actually only about 63 mph that you were doing!! So your fuel economy calc will always show something 'just a bit' better than what you are really getting!! :shocked:

Actually: 2mph error at 55mph is only 3.6%... :roflblack:

hyperdrive13
09-20-2016, 07:38 PM
I have a 2014 RT. The only time I had to push the envelope with the light on, I was on a state road doing a steady 55 mph and got 28 miles before I reached a gas station. I was sweating bullets since I didn't know how far the next station was. I usually start looking for gas around 150 to 180 miles of driving.

Motorcycledave
09-20-2016, 08:00 PM
You should be able to ride all the way up to and including, but no farther than when the engine stops running.:yikes:

Peter Aawen
09-20-2016, 08:08 PM
You should be able to ride all the way up to and including, but no farther than when the engine stops running.:yikes:

Oh come on, Dave!! :lecturef_smilie:

You know that if you're doing 70 mph when the engine quits cos you got no gas left you can usually coast for about 100 yards or so, often more if it happens on a down hill run!! :thumbup:

:p:joke: :shocked:

Naben
09-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Depends if its a 998 or 1300's.

I hVE THE 998

Naben
09-20-2016, 09:10 PM

FUNNY! LOL

M109Dreamer
09-20-2016, 09:11 PM
I hVE THE 998
We do also. We get about 120 before we really need to be looking for gas. Now when we run 75+ mph the gas mileage goes way down and the gas light will come on around 100 miles.

Bob Denman
09-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Oh come on, Dave!! :lecturef_smilie:

You know that if you're doing 70 mph when the engine quits cos you got no gas left you can usually coast for about 100 yards or so, often more if it happens on a down hill run!! :thumbup:

:p:joke: :shocked:

Whenever you run out of fuel: it's always at the bottom of a very steep hill... :shocked:

:joke::joke:

Peter Aawen
09-21-2016, 09:16 AM
No Bob, that's just when you STOP!! :yikes:

You probably ran out of fuel some distance back, maybe even waaaay up near the top of the hill but just over the crest & onto the downhill run, then once you'd run out of gas you just kept rolling until you got to the bottom of the hill!! :shocked:

Try it one day if you like, I'm pretty sure you'll soon see that you can & will go further than your fuel will take you, but not by too much!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-21-2016, 09:30 AM
:D Thanks for the kind offer... But I'd rather plan my "unplanned" stops, so that I roll up to a filling station pump just as the engine starts to sputter! :yikes:

But it never quite works out that way! :banghead:

WVFoxtrotter
09-21-2016, 05:14 PM
I ride 90% of the time in WV up and down the hills. I ran 201 miles the other day and it took 5.1 gal. to fill back up. I ride 2 up on a 2014 rts. Hope this helps.

Bob Denman
09-21-2016, 05:28 PM
I ride 90% of the time in WV up and down the hills. I ran 201 miles the other day and it took 5.1 gal. to fill back up. I ride 2 up on a 2014 rts. Hope this helps.

That's 39.4 mpg... I get just about the same fuel mileage with mine. :thumbup:
My "Low Fuel" light seems to pop on when I reach the point where the bike will take 5.5 gallons...

Shifter
09-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Filled last night after 230 kms fuel light came on and stayed on.
Took just under 18 litres to fill:-)

ThreeWheels
09-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Personally: I've ridden an extra 25 miles with the light staring at me. :shocked:

But it's not good for your blood pressure, to do so! nojoke

I have to agree with this.
25 or 30 miles, but the angst isn't worth it.
On the 2010 998cc, my light went on at about 125 miles.
On my 2014 1330cc, my light goes on around 190 miles.

lou49
09-24-2016, 09:46 PM

Don't know! I never let my fuel to get that low! If the gas liget comes on, is time to look for a gas station! Not trying to be sarcastic, just giving you my honest opinion! Keep those sediments on the bottom of the tank, instead of the gas line or injectors!

TIMMB
09-27-2016, 08:51 AM
998, fuel lite on, ran until no bars left on the fuel gauge (blank) another 10 miles till fuel had a 1/2 gallon left. I don't ride like that usually but I also carry spare fuel.;)

gjklockhart
08-01-2018, 03:23 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.png
I was curious as to how far I could go after the Low Fuel Light came on.
I took a small can of gas with me and ran our 2017 RTS until it quit.
Went 45 miles after the light came on.

irvin48
08-02-2018, 10:58 AM
usually between 190-200 for us for the bulb to glow. have gone 242 miles
once before filling up.wife was pounding on my helmet for 30 miles
[ " im not the one who is walking after gas"] . took 5.9 gal. THEORETICALLY
we had about a gallon left. just a note here-on all vehicles with an in tank
fuel pump--the fuel also cools the pump. :D

HayRog
08-02-2018, 01:35 PM

2015 RT-L ..Riding 2 up and fully loaded with luggage... PA turnpike with 2 service stations closed off ... we ran 31 miles with the light showing. Gassed up with 6.3 gallons. THE MOST I've ever put in the tank !!
A stressful last few miles :yikes: .... 20/20 hindsight - I should have gassed up at the station before the turnpike ;)

Zip
08-03-2018, 06:18 AM
Timely question. While I don't know that answer I can tell you this. I have an RTSM5 with a 998 the farthest I have pushed it is 173 miles. I get a consistent 30 - 31 mpg so you can figure 180 miles. Yesterday the light came on at about 150 miles, I was just over 160 when I pulled into to get fuel. The bike took 5.2 gal.

TicketBait
08-03-2018, 03:38 PM

:oldpost: This thread is 2 years old. OP had bought his 2011 Spyder RT back in 2016, so he must have a 998.

I am an expert on running out of fuel. Have done so 3 or 4 times. I understand this is not a good thing. Twice I had my Reda can to assist.

I am using the white bars on the right as the fuel indicator on the info dash, not the analog gauge.
When it gets to one bar on level surface I can sometimes travel 20-24 additional miles

I don't go off of total mileage anymore cuz sometimes I think I filled her all the way up when I really haven't. Maybe thats because the gas expands when it's hot. :dontknow:

Docster
08-03-2018, 04:38 PM
. Nobody knows - if someone says they do - well, they are guessing. This question has no usable trustworthy answer.....................JMHO.......Mike :thumbup:

↑↑Best most realistic answer on the thread then and now. Trial & error, just have to figure it out for yourself.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-03-2018, 05:30 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.png

I was curious as to how far I could go after the Low Fuel Light came on.
I took a small can of gas with me and ran our 2017 RTS until it quit.
Went 45 miles after the light came on.

:agree: ... Awhile back I did a similar test on my 2014 RT ( 1330 enigine also ) .... I always carry I Lt. of gas and my mileage after shut down was similar :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.................Mike

Bob Denman
08-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Mike,
Where were you riding:

Was it wide-open and flat?
Rolling hills?
The Mountains?

How fast were you going?

Were you able to ride a steady pace; or was the flow of traffic affecting your speeds?

Was your windshield raised fully; retracted fully; or somewhere in-between?
(The aero package does affect these things...

trikerbiker645
08-03-2018, 11:58 PM
I got this one....let's see. Till you run out of gas.😁

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Mike,
Where were you riding:

Was it wide-open and flat?
Rolling hills?
The Mountains?

How fast were you going?

Were you able to ride a steady pace; or was the flow of traffic affecting your speeds?

Was your windshield raised fully; retracted fully; or somewhere in-between?
(The aero package does affect these things...
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: .... I know you are pulling my leg with those questions - right !!! ..... even if I provided ALL answers it would still be in-applicable to any other rider........... waaaaaaaaaaay to many variables ...... My post above only shows that after the warning light goes on - you can travel a lot further than most people think they can. I always have one L. of gas with me just in case I push it a bit to far ...... my smallish Tequila bottle does not leak or even expel any vapors into my trunk ..... alcohol and gasoline are similar in their liquidity so the bottle doesn't leak or even smell. My gas has saved the Butts of more than a few " out of gas " folks ........Mike :thumbup:

Yeochips
01-03-2019, 09:18 AM
isn't that a fact!

starrider60
01-03-2019, 10:05 AM
I get anxious when the warning light comes on and the anxiety rises the further I go. I like to be calm so I plan to fill up around 150 miles to calm my nerves ;)

easysuper
01-03-2019, 04:19 PM
I almost found out Christmas day riding home from my sons house, my wife was following me in her car so I thought I would go for it as I always carry a liter of extra fuel in a aluminium Vodka Bottle. After the light I made it 49 miles to the gas station at my exit by our house , I put in 6.2 gallons. When I pulled into my garage I spotted my fuel bottle setting on the shelf. I usually fill up when I'm down 3/4 tank but there was no good place to pull off the highway to fuel up so I figured what the heck, last time I'll pull that stunt.

Jimbo
01-03-2019, 08:31 PM
I think you all missing a very important issue, we just bought our spyder RTL and haven't even put gas in it yet, but being a car guy you dont want to run super low or out, because the fuel helps cool the pump. Just my opinion, 50 and sunshine in northeast Ohio Saturday! Maybe I'll get to put some gas in it.

Two cats
01-03-2019, 09:20 PM
We run a lot of back roads so the mileage varies from trip to trip. I have been probably 15 to 20 miles with the lite on. But I really pay a lot of attention to where I'm at and how close to a gas station I am. But speed weather and the driving conditions will make the mileage change. So I guess the best I can say is just watch what your doing and carry extra gas just in case. Happy Trails and good luck.

Johndeeredoo
01-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Well you can do what I did.
Siphon the gas out of the tank slowly until the light come on, and then siphon the rest and keep track until you cant siphon any more and check to see how much you have siphoned out.
I came up with a gallon. but I do not know if I was removing gas below the suction screen or not.

canamjhb
01-04-2019, 04:21 PM
For those of you that don't thoroughly read your owners manual (like me). It is good to know where the fuel light is. A couple of years ago while touring I was trying to eek out every bit of fuel to make it to the motel for the night. The needle was pointing to empty but I just kept waiting for the light to come on...... kept going and watching, and going and watching..... Who would have thunk that BRP decided that the low fuel light needed to be on the tachometer rather than on the fuel gauge..... Jim

PW2013STL
01-04-2019, 04:54 PM
As others point out it all depends on many factors. I once was able to go 257 miles on our 2014 RT before running out. This was two up pulling a fully loaded trailer in Alaska. Unfortunately the next gas station was 258 miles away. The good part is that I now have a story as well as knowing how helpful Alaskins are!
The low fuel light would come on around 180 with about 1.2 gals remaining.