PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here fly Drones?

AY4B
09-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Just got one last week and am loving it. I hope to post videos and pics as soon as I learn how.:ohyea:

DrewNJ
09-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Yep, been using them for our business for a few years now. What did you get?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AY4B
09-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Yep, been using them for our business for a few years now. What did you get?

I got a DJI Phantom 4. I had a spyder group party recently and it made me think of doing some drone photography, the more I looked into it the more I wanted one.

AY4B
09-14-2016, 10:28 AM
I got a DJI Phantom 4. I had a spyder group party recently and it made me think of doing some drone photography, the more I looked into it the more I wanted one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJPSSqMQajA

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 10:30 AM

Dmpsam
09-14-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm interested in getting a drone just for fun......wow, the one you got is fancy and pricey!
Looking forward to seeing some videos
:popcorn::popcorn:

AY4B
09-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Yes it is a big boy toy but so are our Spyders. II already have shot some footage around my house from around 300 ft in 4K. I will soon figure out how to set up missions where you program waypoints and points of interest and it just flies the mission by itself.

AY4B
09-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Actually the price has come down and the technology has gone way up. It used to be several thousand for a drone but now for 1200.00 you can go to best buy and get a P4. It cost 5 bucks to register it with the FAA.

Stumpy6Guns
09-14-2016, 10:44 AM
RCGroups.com is the largest RC community around. Tons of information in there.
FliteTest.com is another good resource.

I have built a number of multi-rotors. They are lots of fun, but please fly safely.
I urge you to join the Academy of Model Aeronautics at www.modelaircraft.org. The $2.5 million liability umbrella insurance coverage is just one of many benefits of membership.

AY4B
09-14-2016, 10:45 AM
I have found that the neighbors are leary of drones. On neighbor almost shot it down with his shotgun. Onece they figured it was just me with a new toy they were OK with it and want one to go check the cows.

AY4B
09-14-2016, 10:55 AM

I doubt that will ever become reality, although the P4 can carry a package up to around 3 or 4 pounds. I saw one video where a guy picked up a beer and delivered it to the picnic table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFH2cpajXE

Chupaca
09-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Just a small one for fun around here....Have some copters but they get blown away to easily.....congrats and keep at it,,,:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 11:01 AM
With my lack of depth perception :shocked:: I might get one of those teeny ones for about twenty bucks! That way I can fly it indoors, and only having to worry about ticking-off the Missus! :yikes:

AY4B
09-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Just a small one for fun around here....Have some copters but they get blown away to easily.....congrats and keep at it,,,:2thumbs:

You can find some small ones for less than 100. I started off with this one. First time for me flying a drone. Its very easy. I flew it in some pretty strong winds the other day and it held its position quite well. It normally finds 12 or more satellites to holds a spot in space. You can grab it and pull and it will bounce right back where it was. This particular one will track you. you can be riding your spyder and it will follow you. Just dont try to out run it because it can only go around 45mph and the battery only lasts around 22 minutes.

AY4B
09-14-2016, 11:14 AM
With my lack of depth perception :shocked:: I might get one of those teeny ones for about twenty bucks! That way I can fly it indoors, and only having to worry about ticking-off the Missus! :yikes:

As long as you have it in sight you can play with the birds way over the tree tops. the other day, I had lots of small birds flying around me. You can just use the Ipad screen to fly after that. It sends live HD video up to 3 miles away.

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 11:25 AM
We have enough Bald Eagles around here, that I think they'd have fun playing with it! nojoke :yikes:
They regularly cruise my back yard at about thirty feet off the ground...

AY4B
09-14-2016, 11:52 AM
We have enough Bald Eagles around here, that I think they'd have fun playing with it! nojoke :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9QNf0sCFI:yikes::lecturef_smilie:

AY4B
09-14-2016, 11:55 AM
I guess the best advice from that video is when you see an eagle or hawk in the sky, hit the go home button ASAP. It will instantly land where it took off. Or just land it near you manually.

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 12:00 PM
I've seen that video... nojoke

You also want to avoid primates!

https://youtu.be/t_jmdye_Vtk

Saluda
09-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Nice unit, very nice features.

blacklightning
09-14-2016, 01:19 PM
We ran into a guy last spring on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Grandfather's Mountain. He was flying the exact one that you have. It was great, and had beautiful video. We stood near the Aquaducts and watched him spy in on the people at the top of Grandfathers Mountain. He stated that it was one of the more expensive ones, but the easiest one that he has ever flown.

Saluda
09-14-2016, 01:47 PM
I came close to getting that unit not too long ago, bought a camera instead.

wyliec
09-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Yes it is a big boy toy but so are our Spyders. II already have shot some footage around my house from around 300 ft in 4K. I will soon figure out how to set up missions where you program waypoints and points of interest and it just flies the mission by itself.

If you set up missions, which take it out of line of site, how do you avoid things like power lines, and buildings? Do you scope out the area of the flight path first?

ARtraveler
09-14-2016, 02:54 PM

The eagles would probably consider a drone as a lunch tidbit. :yes:

Sarge707
09-14-2016, 03:53 PM
I have 15 RC Airplanes and Drone problems in CT have caused the State to Ban RC airplanes and Drones in any state park.
But my park ranger allows me to fly for at least the rest of the year.
Most people get bored with drones very quickly Unless your using them for Your Work ?
RC Planes are more challenging . IMHO ONLY!!!!

Joe T.
09-14-2016, 04:16 PM
Interesting.

I think the latest FAA rules say nothing beyond line-of-sight. There maybe an exception to this for commercial users who have a permit.

Since the video said it could fly up to 5 km from 'home,' I think that is WAY out of line-of-sight.

Also, how does the video get from the drone to the tablet held by the user if the drone is beyond LOS? Does it use a cell phone?

Regards,
Joe T.

ekfraz
09-14-2016, 04:50 PM
I have owned many RC Helicopters and Airplanes which are actually drones also and you can mount cameras of them also, I knew a man that flew his RC helicopter into stacks at refineries with a camera to inspect for cracks. He could mow grass flying the helicopter upside down if he wanted to.

gparr
09-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Autell X Star Premium here.

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 05:22 PM
The eagles would probably consider a drone as a lunch tidbit. :yes:

I've heard it said, that they taste just like chicken... :D

AY4B
09-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Interesting.

I think the latest FAA rules say nothing beyond line-of-sight. There maybe an exception to this for commercial users who have a permit.

Since the video said it could fly up to 5 km from 'home,' I think that is WAY out of line-of-sight.

Also, how does the video get from the drone to the tablet held by the user if the drone is beyond LOS? Does it use a cell phone?

Regards,
Joe T.

Yes when you get it registered it clearly says line of sight along with other rules like not flying around people and not flying over 400 feet. I will stay within the FAA rules. I do not know how they get the video from that far but it works. There are 2 antennas on the remote and a clamp to put your tablet. I use a lightning connector to go from the tablet to the RC. I bought a 9.7" Ipad pro to use with it because my older Ipad would not connect to the drone and the video on my Galaxy note 4 was too small for my eyes.

AY4B
09-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Also there are no fly zones like big airports. Mine tells me there is a dirt airport nearby and to fly with caution. The drone will not allow you to fly into a no fly zone.

cuznjohn
09-14-2016, 06:04 PM
i want the same drone you bought, but right now i can't justify the price for it

AY4B
09-14-2016, 06:13 PM
If you set up missions, which take it out of line of site, how do you avoid things like power lines, and buildings? Do you scope out the area of the flight path first? When you set up a mission you need to do your homework and make sure you are flying over anything that may be in the way. In my case the tree tops are like 70 feet up so once you are over that, you don't have much to worry about. You can fly to a waypoint that is lower and set it as a waypoint or a point of interest. I am just now trying to learn how to do that and have not flown any missions yet. I am just flying manually. I do have lots of trees at my place so if I do loose line of sight because of a tree, the display shows the clear video with all the perimeters like altitude, distance and direction in relation to you.

AY4B
09-14-2016, 06:42 PM
When you set up a mission you need to do your homework and make sure you are flying over anything that may be in the way. In my case the tree tops are like 70 feet up so once you are over that, you don't have much to worry about. You can fly to a waypoint that is lower and set it as a waypoint or a point of interest. I am just now trying to learn how to do that and have not flown any missions yet. I am just flying manually. I do have lots of trees at my place so if I do loose line of sight because of a tree, the display shows the clear video with all the perimeters like altitude, distance and direction in relation to you.

I forgot to say that the P4 does have an optical avoidance system. It will put on the brakes if you try flying it into something. BUT dont rely on it because some branches and power lines are hard to detect. Just know where they are and if you are not in line of sight, Just fly an an altitude that you know is over everything else. Im my case If I hit the return to home button, It will go to 95 feet, fly to where I took off and land itself.

Cavman
09-15-2016, 07:34 AM
In one of episodes of Better Late Than Never, a picnic basket is delivered via a drone. It drops off the basket and then returns from where it came from.

AY4B
09-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Here is an example of videos that are on Utube of what a Phantom 4 can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3oyGENOgow#t=210.004229

Lamonster
09-15-2016, 11:09 AM
I have my finger on the button to buy the same one now. My wife wants me to wait till we get some of our todo list done. She's right and by that time they will be better or cheaper or both. Maybe Christmas :doorag:

Bob Denman
09-15-2016, 11:29 AM
...Maybe Christmas :doorag:
:shocked: But wouldn't that mean having to behave until then??? :D

Dmpsam
09-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Ok, Now I really want one!!
That footage is spectacular! Love those 4K cameras.....so clean and crisp
:yes::yes::yes:

Here is an example of videos that are on Utube of what a Phantom 4 can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3oyGENOgow#t=210.004229

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-15-2016, 01:21 PM
i'm saving up for a dji phantom 4 & a indian sport, got over half the money for each already.

AY4B
09-15-2016, 06:38 PM
I have my finger on the button to buy the same one now. My wife wants me to wait till we get some of our todo list done. She's right and by that time they will be better or cheaper or both. Maybe Christmas :doorag:

Whats more important, The 2do list or the bucket list. They are on sale now at Best Buy! 100 more and you get an extra battery. 200 more and get 2. The worst that can happen is you are in the dog house for a couple of days and have to sleep at the shop.:popcorn:

AY4B
09-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Heres another good one. I think spyders and Phantom 4's are made fore each other Throw one in the frunk and when you get to your destination you can fly around. This one has up to 4K quality but my monitor can only handle 1080P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKE3962t0vc

AY4B
09-15-2016, 07:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GewpoVGRhRs

AY4B
09-16-2016, 05:29 AM
The specs say it will go around 45 MPH in sport mode but on the P4 forums Lots of folks are claiming to get it up to around 62MPH or 100KPH and run low to the ground which makes it look even faster. Ill have to find a place to try that.

AY4B
09-16-2016, 05:36 AM
:shocked: But wouldn't that mean having to behave until then??? :D

Im sure Joan sees a Christmas gift opportunity so she does not want Lamont to spoil it.nojoke

jthornton
09-16-2016, 07:51 AM
I don't have a drone but I do fly a Twisted Hobbies EPP 540.
https://twistedhobbys.com/th-32-epp-edge-540-gh-w-hd-landing-gear/

JT

AY4B
09-17-2016, 08:20 AM
Wow! This guy catches a YUUUge Bass with his drone! Then goes full Retard:yes::yes::yes::yes:

https://youtu.be/iba7kCnkFos

MisterP
09-18-2016, 04:14 PM
If anyone wants to review the study guide for the FAA Part 107 knowledge test:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Lamonster
09-18-2016, 05:25 PM
My son just got one yesterday and this was his first video. He has the Phantom 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daWTUdlTz9E

Lamonster
09-18-2016, 08:30 PM
I'm off the fence. :yes::2excited:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVG1BQO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rogue Hawk
09-19-2016, 03:22 PM
When I was a kid I got one of those planes tethered to two strings. I did not even get one circle done before it crashed.:p That was the end of my aviation career.

Lamonster
09-19-2016, 04:37 PM
My son's video today :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J84wlmhH87c

Dmpsam
09-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Ok....for those of you that have drones, my question is:
How easy are they to fly?
Did you start out cheap and then buy big?
Im gonna order one, just super nervous about spending 1200.00 then crashing the darn thing and ruining it.
Thanks in advance for any info!!
Debbie

DrewNJ
09-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Ok....for those of you that have drones, my question is:
How easy are they to fly?
Did you start out cheap and then buy big?
Im gonna order one, just super nervous about spending 1200.00 then crashing the darn thing and ruining it.
Thanks in advance for any info!!
Debbie
Believe it or not, for the most part, the more you spend the easier they are to fly....at least to a certain point.

I really like the phantom 3. We have 2 that we use for work. They are nicer than the 2 phantom 2 that they replace. The Phantom 4 is even better. However, the first Matrice 600 we just bought is SO much nicer than anything we have ever used.

The cheap toys will leave you frustrated, bored, and likey with a pile of broken crap. Your really looking at starting at @$1000 for a true halfway decent starter drone with a decent camera.

Dmpsam
09-20-2016, 09:02 PM
Wow....that Matrice 600 is pricey!! For that cost, you should be able to travel on the darn thing! Lol
I'm seriously considering the phantom 4.
Just not sure if I can justify it. Not sure how much I would really use use it.
Thanks for your input! Appreciate it!

Believe it or not, for the most part, the more you spend the easier they are to fly....at least to a certain point.

I really like the phantom 3. We have 2 that we use for work. They are nicer than the 2 phantom 2 that they replace. The Phantom 4 is even better. However, the first Matrice 600 we just bought is SO much nicer than anything we have ever used.

The cheap toys will leave you frustrated, bored, and likey with a pile of broken crap. Your really looking at starting at @$1000 for a true halfway decent starter drone with a decent camera.

Steven Young
09-21-2016, 08:15 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbxSiBdejo

I've had All the DJI drones. But the new Karma drone by GoPro may be nice!

AY4B
09-21-2016, 10:46 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mGbxSiBdejo

I've had All the DJI drones. But the new Karma drone by GoPro may be nice!

I saw an ad for the Karma but it did not give alot of info on how it would be better. Im sure every year the technolagy will explode in drones. DJI is the leader right now.
Congratulations Lamonster! Looks like you found a pretty good package deal. I only have 2 batteries. Ill have to get another one at some point. Look into getting the Litchi App also It cost around 22.00 but well worth it. There are lots of videos on UTube to help as well. I have been flying every day now. It is easy to fly but just like Spyders, There is lots to learn. Stay safe. I am Hawkeye54 on the DJI forum.
I would have thought you would have jumped on this package though. http://www.drone-world.com/dji-phantom-4-falcon-kit-bundle-firebridge-range-extender

MisterP
10-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Flew my Phantom 4 today in about a 15 mph breeze. Very steady platform. Also practicing adding audio to video clips.

Here is a video of my last flight, including at the end its "bring me home" maneuver. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/ZmAodL0uoqw

AY4B
11-15-2016, 08:08 PM
DJI just announced the Phantom 4 Pro and just WOW!:clap:

https://youtu.be/ZVNO-fib6fg

DJFaninTN
11-15-2016, 11:53 PM
for the money Mavic Pro is going to be hard to beat. with the Mavic Pro it is so easy to transport. Phantom 4 ... not so much.

DGoebel
11-18-2016, 11:50 PM
I've been flying model "drones" since I was 12, free flight gliders, control line gas powered planes, early RC gliders, gas powered trainer planes, electric powered planes, Slope soaring gliders, (I think my current fleet is some 20 plus planes, including 3 or 4 multi-rotor drones from palm sized camera carrying up to my latest Blade 350 QX that carries my GoPro Hero 4 or GoPro Hero5 Session.

The multi-rotors of today are so very well controlled compared to even 3 years ago (my Blade 350QX) that I've quit spending waiting for something like the DJI Mavic Pro that folds up small and can shoot 4k vids, many of the newer "drones" have follow-me mode so you can literally film yourself riding in motion in VERY controlled circumstances.

Added: I concur with everyone above who suggested joining the AMA (http://www.modelaircraft.org/), been a member since I was 18 or so, and reading and following all the new "drone" flying rules. It's amazing what some uninformed new flyers think is OK to try and fly/in/near when their skills are not commensurate with the situation.

Lamonster
11-21-2016, 09:34 AM
for the money Mavic Pro is going to be hard to beat. with the Mavic Pro it is so easy to transport. Phantom 4 ... not so much.

I just gave one of my boys my Phantom 4. It was just too big to transport and do what I wanted to do with it. I'll be ordering the Mavic Pro soon as this fits the bill for what I want and need. :doorag:

Saluda
11-28-2016, 10:03 PM
Ordered the 3 and really looking forward to it.

DGoebel
11-28-2016, 10:18 PM
Saluda, Read the whole manual, start low and slow, I flew the first week in my back yard, below tree top level with lots of landings, landings, landings (it's the hardest part, really) easy does it and you'll not be replacing props and parts too quickly....<G> Just had a buddy experience his first (RC Plane) flyaway on his first flight with a new plane (Range check, what's that???? he said.) First words (that I can repeat) out of his mouth was I shoulda done that range check....

AY4B
11-28-2016, 10:56 PM
I just gave one of my boys my Phantom 4. It was just too big to transport and do what I wanted to do with it. I'll be ordering the Mavic Pro soon as this fits the bill for what I want and need. :doorag:

My P4 box is just a tad too big to fit in my frunk because of the corners and being made of styrafoam it makes the box walls too thick. I ordered a backpack case today. They are 60 dollars off on sale. Im hoping it will fit either my frunk or my left fleetliner bag. The Mavic Pro looks real nice and much more compact to fit on your F3. Let me know how you like it.

AY4B
11-28-2016, 11:03 PM
This guy may have caught a UFO on his P3 footage. It looks very small but very fast. The speed was estimated to be 10.000 MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BUA6zdbgEE

south GA Farm Boy
11-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Guys, I purchase a drone about 3 years ago after flying model airplanes for at least 25 years! The drone was fun for a few weeks, but I lost interest very quickly! If you can fly a model airplane that cost about $8000 and will fly over 200 miles per hour, please be sure you can fly a drone! When i purchased my drone, they told me i would have to learn to fly it, I told the sale man to go hold the front door open and I would fly it out the building door and back in! With all the govt. regulations on drones, be careful what you buy, and where you can fly it! I live on a farm, so I could fly on my own land! Happy flying, and be sure to get your liability insurance using AMA!

DJFaninTN
11-29-2016, 03:51 PM

Glad you found this one fitting your needs. It's on my list ... but my list is too long these days it seems :sour:

CMA/IBA_rider
12-11-2016, 05:44 PM
I've got a phantom 4. I do not think this Hawk seen one before because he got too close for my comfort.

141237]

Steven Young
12-11-2016, 05:50 PM
I have a DJI Mavic Pro and an FAA part 107 license added to my ATP.
Love the Mavic! Have had every drone DJI makes so far.

AY4B
12-11-2016, 07:58 PM
I have a DJI Mavic Pro and an FAA part 107 license added to my ATP.
Love the Mavic! Have had every drone DJI makes so far.

NICE!! Have you done any jobs with the 107? I have been thinking about doing that. Just downloaded Power Director 15 but have not has any time to get into it.