PDA

View Full Version : THE ATTITUDE OF SOME

oldguyinTX
09-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Like them or not, I don't think that this is right. Yes, there are two sides to every story, but I would take each one with a grain of salt.

http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=18460

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 09:26 AM
:shocked: Wow...
There's enough stupidity on both sides of that fence, to impress even me! nojoke

It sort of reminds me of the progression of archery tackle over the years... At first: the traditional archers that used longbows or recurves, would say that our compound bows had training wheels...
Then: crossbows came along, and we all derided them as nothing but short-range rifles!
After a while... everybody (sort of) learned to get along...

I hope that the Connecticut motorcyclists; learn to also.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
09-14-2016, 09:26 AM
i do agree with the event promoter about having slingshots ride with m/c's, they are much much larger, the size of a car.
yes 3 wheelers are larger then a 2 wheel bike but at least 2 can fit in a parking spot or a m/c can pass it in a ride where
as an ss is the whole spot. the ss's should ride at the back as not to get in the way of the bikes & if the ss in the photo considers it is a m/c then why is neither he nor the passenger wearing a helmet?
The event is to help & remember a tragic event but must be organized & follow rules so all can be happy & safe.

Chupaca
09-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Guess it is up to the organizers of the event. Many say open to all motorcycles and the shady part is the slingshot ( and those like it ) started out in that catagory. They have since been re-classified as autocycles placing them somewhere inbetween. Organizers should now be more specific when they state who can attendend...I would have thought that if they were relegated to the rear of the pack both would have been fine with that. We spyders have dealt with that for a long time now but the autocycles do present a size difference....

Tazzel
09-14-2016, 10:00 AM
I have heard of the same thing happening to Spyder riders here in Colorado at some of the benefit rides. They are treated like crap from other riders and harassed saying you can park here or you cant ride in this event even after registrations have been paid.

bscrive
09-14-2016, 11:41 AM
The organizers are a bunch of twits. The ride was for the fallen not for themselves. They should just allow the Slingshots in like they do Spyders.
Some people need to get a brain. :banghead:

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 11:46 AM
But you have to admit :shocked:: the whining from the "SlingShotters" sounded pretty annoying...

It never should have gotten out in Public... That detracts from all of the good, that the organizers were trying to accomplish.
Had they spoken to the "Powers that be", behind the scenes about what they were experiencing: it might have all been handled at the time, and everyone could have been happy.

Saluda
09-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Too bad something wasn't worked out ahead of time.

blacklightning
09-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Reminds me of when I was in the local Mustang club. We used to have a all ford car show. Then a couple of guys showed up with fox body mustangs with a chevy motor in them. They had to change the show to an all ford powered car show. Guess we never had someone show up with a ford powered camaro. Lol!

JerryB
09-14-2016, 01:34 PM
Hi Gene,

Re: They have since been re-classified as autocycles

I don't know what they are classified as in CT. Here in Oregon, they are still a m/c.

From the link, they were there the previous year without any problems. So, why exclude them this year?

Bad all around IMO,

Jerry Baumchen

vided
09-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Three wheelers should ride in the rear of the pack, easy peasy

BajaRon
09-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Unity Ride?

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 01:59 PM
That's an easy solution, and... :agree:

Cruzr Joe
09-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Three wheelers should ride in the rear of the pack, easy peasy

:hun:, WHY??

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 02:17 PM
If we're talking about SlingShots: they are so much w I d e r , that they'd create an area of very limited visibility in the middle of a pack of motorcycles. It could actually be a safety issue. nojoke

ARtraveler
09-14-2016, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1181442]:shocked: Wow...
There's enough stupidity on both sides of that fence, to impress even me! nojoke

Looks like the organizers were caught up in branding and semantics and forgot the purpose of the ride. Looks like there were a lot of losers here. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
09-14-2016, 03:16 PM
If we're talking about SlingShots: they are so much w I d e r , that they'd create an area of very limited visibility in the middle of a pack of motorcycles. It could actually be a safety issue. nojoke

I think they should ride together, either at the front, middle or rear.

Cruzr Joe

vided
09-14-2016, 03:34 PM

Cruzr Joe

The 2 wheelers ride side by side or close staggered, they all have the same cornering characteristics.
having 3 wheelers mixed in will just break up the flow. Imagin a group ride with cages mixed in, not fun.
also from a visual standpoint, 2 wheelers, trikes, reverse trikes, then slingshots, would make a prettier drone picture.
Also 3 wheelers are usually in the minority.

and just for the record, I don't do group rides any more.

CapeSpyder
09-14-2016, 03:58 PM

Cruzr Joe
Braking for one. Putting something that can brake faster then the rest in the middle or front .......

CapeSpyder
Sent From my Note 5

mxz600
09-14-2016, 03:58 PM
I'm not here to debate if the Slingshots should have been allowed to participate.

I'm here to say that the Slingshot is as much a motorcycle as a Mustang convertible.

If it looks like a car, drives like a car, it's a car.

ARtraveler
09-14-2016, 04:05 PM
The 2 wheelers ride side by side or close staggered, they all have the same cornering technic.
having 3 wheelers mixed in will just break up the flow. Imagin a group ride with cages mixed in, not fun.
also from a visual standpoint, 2 wheelers, trikes, reverse trikes, then slingshots, would make a prettier drone picture.
and just for the record, I don't do group rides any more.

I rode with a close knit group since 2001. We used to have over 50 bikes participating in our weekly ride. Great people, and all safety conscious. Over the years, the group dwindled, new leadership, etc. Safety no longer was a priority. Crap started to happen on our rides. Inexperienced riders crossing lines, not keeping it in control, etc. etc. We decided no more group riding also.

Your point about separation of "types" I believe, is also a good one. The driving dynamics of each is different enough to make separation a good idea. This may help to avoid those dreaded chain reaction types of crashes. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm not here to debate if the Slingshots should have been allowed to participate.

I'm here to say that the Slingshot is as much a motorcycle as a Mustang convertible.

If it looks like a car, drives like a car, it's a car.

Well... perhaps a Mustang that has lost a wheel... :D

PrairieSpyder
09-14-2016, 06:37 PM
The organizers should have published what kinds of vehicles were invited well beforehand. And the SS driver should have behaved less like an a$$.

I personally don't think of Slingshots as motorcycles, though some states recognize them as such.

But I wonder if the organizers allowed other trikes into the ride. How about Spyders?

oldguyinTX
09-15-2016, 07:54 AM
The organizers should have published what kinds of vehicles were invited well beforehand. And the SS driver should have behaved less like an a$$.

I personally don't think of Slingshots as motorcycles, though some states recognize them as such.

But I wonder if the organizers allowed other trikes into the ride. How about Spyders?

Spyders are allowed, albeit at the rear of the pack. That was OK, I understand that we are wider and take up more space in the lane than a two wheeler. We rode in this event last year, and I'm told that there were a number of Spyders this year - all at the back of the pack.

Bob Denman
09-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Perhaps the organizers of the event should have been better-prepared for this...
But the SlingShot owners should also remember: