PDA

View Full Version : Newbe looking for some help on RT limited handling

Cmpdman
09-10-2016, 09:37 AM
My wife got a 16 RT Limited. I'm a Harley rider & my son rides an STS. When I ride my wife's RT it feels unstable at over 50. My sons does not. I've tried adjusting the rear air suspension. Today, I'll check her tire pressure.

What at else do you suggest? No one around does laser alignments. I've been reading about a Ron Baja sway bar.

jaherbst
09-10-2016, 10:40 AM
My wife got a 16 RT Limited. I'm a Harley rider & my son rides an STS. When I ride my wife's RT it feels unstable at over 50. My sons does not. I've tried adjusting the rear air suspension. Today, I'll check her tire pressure.

What at else do you suggest? No one around does laser alignments. I've been reading about a Ron Baja sway bar.

Suggest both Lazer alignment and Baja Ron's sway bar. No Regrets.

You say west for a location so any suggestion of where to get the above would be meaningless. Where are

you located?

​Jack

bondo
09-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Install fox podium kit or Ella's 16 have a bigger bar already went through it when I purchased new one fro st

Bob Denman
09-10-2016, 11:58 AM
The bike probably feels unstable, because you're used to riding two-wheeled "leaners"... :D
The BajaRon bar does help a lot, but it's time in the saddle that you really need! nojoke
Since the bike belongs to your Better-Half": what does SHE say about it?

Highwayman2013
09-10-2016, 12:10 PM

Since your location is not known, try here:http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

tehrlich
09-10-2016, 01:09 PM
You MUST upgrade the sway bar and the front shocks.

I started with the shocks and noticed an immediate improvement. I bought the Fox shocks from BRP. I will eventually upgrade the upgrade to Elka shocks.

The anti-sway bar from RonJon added the extra stiffness and confidence to feel like it is on rails going around turns.

Lastly, technique is critical. It isn't the same as riding a two-wheeled motorcycle. When I realized it was like riding a snowmobile, or like body positioning like skiing, everything felt better.

BajaRon
09-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Install fox podium kit or Ella's 16 have a bigger bar already went through it when I purchased new one fro st

Bad information. Same bar from 2013-2017 on all models.

Explorer
09-10-2016, 02:12 PM
1. Were you riding one up when you noticed instability?
2. Have your son ride it.
3. If he agrees with you, get it aligned before you spend money on anything else.
Good luck
Roger

Mrs.Dirtfarmerjake
09-10-2016, 02:59 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?97674-There-are-Dealers-and-there-are-dealers!

Cmpdman
09-10-2016, 03:53 PM
We're in northern Utah. I checked the air in the tires, they were at 11 psi. I added air to 25 psi. My son will come over next week and take it for a spin.

My wife in new to riding herself. I just want to make sure that she is safe and feels comfortable on the bike.

should I start with an alignment? Not sure in anyone in Utah does it? Order the Baja Ron sway bar, or change out the front shocks?

I understand that it doesn't ride like a two wheeler. I've riden two wheelers, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, you get the idea. Her Spyder felt like it wanted to wander when I was going over 50 on a strait road. I was just me alone.

Thanks for y'alls help!

Bob Denman
09-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Make sure that the tire pressures are the same on each side up front, and it sounds as if an alignment might also be a good idea...
Good Luck! :thumbup:

jaherbst
09-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Do not waste your money on new shocks! You do not need them. Suggest Ron's Baja Bar and Laser

Alignment. You will need BOTH. Much cheaper than new shocks and a lot less money. (not to mention a

lot more effective) One of the best to Laser align and install the Bar is Squared Away in Las Vegas. This

would be a short ride to the South if you live in UT. Joe and Ann Meyer at joe_meyer@cox.net. Look

on the Home page. They are a sponsor.

Jack

Joe and Ann will be at Spyders In the Red Rocks September 26 thru the 30th in St. George UT. They will be performing their "magic" there. Call them! It cannot get any easier than that.

Sam Mac
09-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Do not waste your money on new shocks! You do not need them. Suggest Ron's Baja Bar and Laser

Alignment. You will need BOTH. Much cheaper than new shocks and a lot less money.

Jack

What he said, if you want to go 1 step more the Baja Ron shock adjusters are well worth the $$ and if you buy the Bar and Adjusters at the same time you'll save a few $$.

Peter Aawen
09-10-2016, 06:00 PM
We're in northern Utah. I checked the air in the tires, they were at 11 psi. I added air to 25 psi. My son will come over next week and take it for a spin.....

I agree that 11psi is probably too low, but if that 25psi is in the front tires & you are running the original Kenda's, that pressure is probably too high!! If the Spyder is running an alternative 'car' tire then it's DEFINITELY too high, even more so if it's larger in any way than the OE tires!! :shocked:

The heavier construction car tires don't need as much air in them to carry the same load, & while a lightly constructed Kenda will carry the front of most loaded Spyders at around 20-22 psi (Max!), the heavier constructed car tires would be up for carrying about 1300 #'s EACH at 25 psi!! So unless you weigh much over 500#'s, then it's extremely unlikely that you'll need more than about 18 psi in the fronts, possibly even less if it's a bigger tire! :thumbup:

But if the front tires are running the same pressure each side, it's not likely that the pressure is causing the twitchy handling issues anyway! See other's replies above. ;)

BajaRon
09-10-2016, 06:04 PM
We're in northern Utah. I checked the air in the tires, they were at 11 psi. I added air to 25 psi. My son will come over next week and take it for a spin.

My wife in new to riding herself. I just want to make sure that she is safe and feels comfortable on the bike.

should I start with an alignment? Not sure in anyone in Utah does it? Order the Baja Ron sway bar, or change out the front shocks?

I understand that it doesn't ride like a two wheeler. I've riden two wheelers, 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, you get the idea. Her Spyder felt like it wanted to wander when I was going over 50 on a strait road. I was just me alone.

Thanks for y'alls help!

I think we have a Goldielocks process going here. 11 psi is way too low. 25 psi is too high. Try between 18 and 20 psi and try to get the same pressure in both tires as much as possible.

Hope things improve for you.

MOSESS
09-10-2016, 06:21 PM
time in the saddle is a must. even with out the sway bar .There is a learning curve. If you look at some of my earler post you will see how I felt at first...sense its your wife's bike let her ride...

Judge64
09-10-2016, 06:24 PM
I agree with Bob.....

I bought a '16 RT Special Series in May and have never ridden 2 or 3 wheels till now. I ride sleds a lot and wanted a sled-like experience in the non-winter months.

It took me some seat time to get used to it but after 2400 miles I am happy with the handling and feel much more comfortable on it.

Just had my first service done today and asked about the laser alignment because I have read so much on here about it. They checked my tire wear and road tested it and they said I didn't need to spend the $250 for the laser alignment.

I may go for the BajaRon sway bar over the winter but at this point I can't say it is a necessity.

We are taking a trip next weekend from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg with some 2-wheeler friends. It will be my longest ride yet. Based on that trip I'll make the decision on whether to go with the sway bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cmpdman
09-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Sorry, typo. I set the front tires to 20 psi, not 25. The manual shows 20 +- 2 lbs. the back is at 28. I'll take it on a spin latter tonight.

Thanks is for everyone's input!

Ohio1ryder
09-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Baha sway bar and laser Alignment will make a world of difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

BajaRon
09-10-2016, 07:42 PM
I agree with Bob.....

I bought a '16 RT Special Series in May and have never ridden 2 or 3 wheels till now. I ride sleds a lot and wanted a sled-like experience in the non-winter months.

It took me some seat time to get used to it but after 2400 miles I am happy with the handling and feel much more comfortable on it.

Just had my first service done today and asked about the laser alignment because I have read so much on here about it. They checked my tire wear and road tested it and they said I didn't need to spend the $250 for the laser alignment.

I may go for the BajaRon sway bar over the winter but at this point I can't say it is a necessity.

We are taking a trip next weekend from Pittsburgh to Gettysburg with some 2-wheeler friends. It will be my longest ride yet. Based on that trip I'll make the decision on whether to go with the sway bar.

$250 for the alignment is too much money. And if they did not check your alignment with the ROLO laser alignment system then they are just guessing. Improper tire wear is a sure sign of misalignment. But no evidence of improper tire wear is not a sure sign of proper alignment. Find a vendor with a reasonable price for this and get it done. You will probably surprised at the results. And, if your dealer is right and you are in spec. Most of the ROLO people won't charge you for the service.

AppleSpyder
09-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Just a thought but there is the Red Rocks Spyder Rally in St George the 27th - 30th of this month in St. George, UT. Ann and Joe from Squared Away (SpyderLovers sponsor) will be there. You could contact them and to see if they might be able to do a lazer alignment for you. Like I said I don't know just an idea.

Judge64
09-10-2016, 09:48 PM
$250 for the alignment is too much money. And if they did not check your alignment with the ROLO laser alignment system then they are just guessing. Improper tire wear is a sure sign of misalignment. But no evidence of improper tire wear is not a sure sign of proper alignment. Find a vendor with a reasonable price for this and get it done. You will probably surprised at the results. And, if your dealer is right and you are in spec. Most of the ROLO people won't charge you for the service.

Thanks for the feedback.....

So what is a fair price for a laser alignment?

My dealer quoted me $250. I also paid $400 for the 3000 mile service.

My dealer is the closest listed for ROLO on spydercomfort.com. Can anyone who offers laser alignment so the Spyder if they have the specs?

jaherbst
09-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback.....

So what is a fair price for a laser alignment?

My dealer quoted me $250. I also paid $400 for the 3000 mile service.

My dealer is the closest listed for ROLO on spydercomfort.com. Can anyone who offers laser alignment so the Spyder if they have the specs?

$125-135

​Jack

Cruzr Joe
09-10-2016, 10:34 PM
I think we have a Goldielocks process going here. 11 psi is way too low. 25 psi is too high. Try between 18 and 20 psi and try to get the same pressure in both tires as much as possible.

Hope things improve for you.

:agree::agree:

Cruzr Joe

murphybrown
09-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Thanks for y'alls help!

You are in luck. the absolute best folks for doing the ROLO system (none other compare) are Ann and Joe Meyer of Squared Away. AND they are going to be in St. George for the Red Rock Rally. Contact them thru a PM or call them direct and get scheduled to get Squared Away. They could (if time permits) also install the BajaRon sway bar with helm links. Their home is in Las Vegas...just a nice ryde. 25 psi seems a little high for the front tires..I run 19...again personal choice and what works best for you.

tehrlich
09-11-2016, 02:21 PM
LOL. Don't replace the shocks?

When I replaced the stock shocks with the Fox shocks, the lack of quality of the stock shocks were easily seen. I could compress them down easily. They are EXTREMELY soft, and just stiffening the spring is just 1/2 the story. You gotta think about rebound, too.

So when racing cars, 4x4's, motorcycles, motorhomes, etc., replace their shocks for better performance, it only applies to them, not a Spyder?? That doesn't even make sense. A shock does a LOT for stability and performance. Anyone that has raced any mechanical device knows that the suspension can be everything.

Replace the stock shocks, or at least by stiffeners for them.

Bob Denman
09-11-2016, 04:39 PM
Did you read the part about his being his Wife's Spyder? :dontknow:
Changing shocks, tires, anti-swaybars... If you're looking for that last extra little bit of performance: maybe!
Some folks couldn't care less where the limits are. nojoke

Cmpdman
09-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll be out of town that week so I won't be able to make it to St George in southern Utah. Maybe later in the year I can take it to Vegas to get an alignment. This is my wife's & I want to be safe on the machine.

I changed the shocks on my snowmobiles but my wife likes hers stock. Says she really can't tell the difference. I'm not too familiar with the stock front shocks on the Spyder. She's close to 100 lbs & I'm not sure if they are adjustable.

I'll order the Baja Ron sway bar. It seems a lot of riders can really tell the difference. We live realy close to several mountain roads that are beautiful drives, but lots of twists and turns. Again, safety is my first concern!

tehrlich
09-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Did you read the part about his being his Wife's Spyder? :dontknow:
Changing shocks, tires, anti-swaybars... If you're looking for that last extra little bit of performance: maybe!
Some folks couldn't care less where the limits are. nojoke
Yes, I did. Did you read the comments that said upgraded shocks don't do much and are too expensive?

For a 100 lb person, the stock shocks are probably OK, but the problem was instability over 50mph, I believe. Please tell me that upgrading the suspension shocks would have no impact on this, even for that "last extra little bit of performance!"

I have the RJ antisway bar. It is awesome. Totally should get it, but my shocks upgrade was a bigger impact on stability and control especially at higher speeds.

dlby
09-11-2016, 10:12 PM
20 # in both is pretty good

Im an x HD rider

It was 2k miles b4 theSpyder felt right

Big adaptive learning curve

Now its smooth as silk

Btw
Inever changed out anything
Its actually a pretty good stock built bike except for $%# seat

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

amelectricdavid
09-18-2016, 01:26 AM
Ur wife is bigger than sons bike....its like putting a 4by8 plywood on the front....its tracking 3 different line ...it move anytime a wheel pics up something different. ...i have stock 2014 rts.....i over inflated tire by 5 to 10 lbs...mine were also low....so much for dealer service ck up..laser alignment is a scam....they have been using focused light beam on alignment front end machines for 30 years....laser alignment is just like a titanium golf ....in my opinion anyway when i add air. It handled better....u also have to remember this machine has a high performance steering system...so if u watch a races car drive steering wheel...its always move and changing as he is still going straight. ..so...thats my thots

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

al0vely
09-18-2016, 05:24 AM
It sounds like the adjustments are being made to the HD rider satisfaction and not the intended primary rider.

I wonder how the wife feels about the ride? How many miles does she have on the :ani29:?

In many threads you read ... it takes a few miles before you are totally comfortable with the ride as a new rider.

As a female rider and not one to ride overly aggressive the tracking would be more important than the sway bar. But again how does the primary rider feel?

Gray Ghost
09-18-2016, 07:53 AM
..laser alignment is a scam....they have been using focused light beam on alignment front end machines for 30 years....laser alignment is just like a titanium golf ....in my opinion anyway when i add air. It handled better....u also have to remember this machine has a high performance steering system...so if u watch a races car drive steering wheel...its always move and changing as he is still going straight. ..so...thats my thots...

Would you consider a bike that has one front tire with 1/8th of an inch toe in and the other 1 inch toe out to be properly aligned? Or a bike that is toe out on both sides? Those are the kind of things you see when using the system you call a scam. The ROLO alignment system was modified from an alignment system that is used to align cars for NASCAR. And it will take a bike that is otherwise in good shape but wanders all over the place and make it a dream ride. On a properly aligned Spyder on a flat level road you can lift your hands off the bars and it will continue to run straight, none of the "...always move and changing as he is still going straight..."

amelectricdavid
09-19-2016, 09:49 AM
I didnt mean laser alignment didnt work...but that it is the same as old system....they just put the word laser in front of it....focused beam of lite

Gray Ghost
09-19-2016, 10:11 PM
I didnt mean laser alignment didnt work...but that it is the same as old system....they just put the word laser in front of it....focused beam of lite

The old BRP system set the front wheels to reference the frame, the results are bad. The ROLO system uses lasers, but it references the front wheels to the rear. You can do an old school measure across the front and rear of the front tires to get a toe-in or toe-out but you will be missing the most critical part which is the relationship to the rear wheel. It is fairly obvious that you haven't seen and really don't know what the ROLO system does. If you are ever around a rally or an independent dealer go by and check it out. Typically they will let you look at how your bike is set now and explain to you what they recommend to get you straightened out if necessary. Then it is up to you whether to go forward with that or not (again, can't guarantee that it is all of them, but most if not all follow that). Check out Spydercomfort.com/dealers. The independents are the ones that are usually willing to work with you and any skepticism you might have.