PDA

View Full Version : Bearing/ Axle movement Question?

Sarge707
09-10-2016, 07:48 AM
Probably a stupid question BUT I was wondering as I memorize how the Wheel assembly goes together ??

Do the axle bearings (2) and axle actually turn every time the wheel turns OR does just the Sprocket bearing and wheel turn while the axle remains steadfast???

If this was Super Stupid let me know and I will delete it after I find out!

jcthorne
09-10-2016, 08:17 AM
The sprocket and wheel turn, the shaft is stationary.

jegarh
09-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Front wheel, the wheel, brake disc AND stb axle rotate together.

Rear wheel,the axle clamps the swingarm, belt adjusters, spacers and inner bearing races. The wheel, pulley and disc attached to the wheel rotate on the clamped axle.

??? What is a stb axle??? If you mean "spindle", no it does not turn. If by stb axle you mean the "hub", yes the hub turns.

Jerrt

Sarge707
09-10-2016, 11:07 AM
The sprocket and wheel turn, the shaft is stationary.

So the 2 axle bearings on each side of the hub, separated by the ever important spacer tube Do Not actually spin and are there for continuity support?

I only ask this because it seems the Large Spocket bearing moves Much more freely than the smaller axle bearings.
So does the sprocket bearing turn with the wheel?

Thanks Maybe someone else did not know?

billybovine
09-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Now I understand where you coming from. Yes the wheel bearing are stiff to turn when the wheel has been removed from the Spyder. That is because of outward side loading of the bearings by the spacer tube. When assembled and the axle is torqued there is a lot of side loading inward on the bearings. This counteracts the side loading of the spacer tube and the bearings run true and free. When the axle is properly torqued the inner race is stationary and the outer race spins with the wheel. If that inner spacer tube was not there or shorter the bearing would not last long.

jcthorne
09-10-2016, 02:42 PM
So the 2 axle bearings on each side of the hub, separated by the ever important spacer tube Do Not actually spin and are there for continuity support?

I only ask this because it seems the Large Spocket bearing moves Much more freely than the smaller axle bearings.
So does the sprocket bearing turn with the wheel?

Thanks Maybe someone else did not know?

On all three bearings, the inner race is stationary and the outer race turns with the wheel and sprocket.

Sarge707
09-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Thank You- I learned a valuable lesson about bearings and inner and outer races which I didn't realize..
When the novice tests the bearings in the hub they are moving the inner race and checking for anything abnormal BUT when the wheel is together and going down the road the inner race is stationary and your rolling along on the 3 Outer races!!! That's one I Won't forget.