PDA

View Full Version : Cal Sci Windshield question

adohring
03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
After reading all the windshield posts I opted for the Cal Sci, I am only 5,8 but have the NMN 3 inch risers so I sit more upright and thus went for the Large.

When riding, the top of the windshield is right about chin level.

My question is: when I am riding, my head vibrates. I dont know how else to describe it. I thought it was my helmet but I had a friend ride my spyder yesterday and he came back from a short ride and commented that his head seemed to vibrate and he has a totally different helmet. So I can only assume that the windshield is doing something to the wind and causing some crazy turbulence. Has anyone else had this and is there a way to correct it? Could the windshield be defective and shaped incorrectly? :dontknow:

Thanks in advance.

Arjay

ataDude
03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you need the next largest size. Marc at CalSci (I think) will swap it for you.

After reading all the windshield posts I opted for the Cal Sci, I am only 5,8 but have the NMN 3 inch risers so I sit more upright and thus went for the Large.

My question is: when I am riding, my head vibrates. I dont know how else to describe it. I thought it was my helmet but I had a friend ride my spyder yesterday and he came back from a short ride and commented that his head seemed to vibrate and he has a totally different helmet. So I can only assume that the windshield is doing something to the wind and causing some crazy turbulence. Has anyone else had this and is there a way to correct it? Could the windshield be defective and shaped incorrectly? :dontknow:

Thanks in advance.

Arjay

bjt
03-30-2009, 08:37 AM
I think most people here use the term "buffeting" for what you guys were feeling with the new shield. The windshield is changing the air flow and redirecting to a place that is uncomfortable to you. In addition, it is most likely adding some weird turbulence that is hitting your helmet and causing the feeling you describe. You do need some type of adjustment to that windshield to lessen or eliminate the buffeting. That could entail bending a lip on the top edge of the shield to force the air higher up and over your head, adding something like a Laminar Lip your Calsci windshield, getting a different sized Calsci windshield or getting a different manufacturer's windshield (F1 windshields, Mel's Monster Garage, CHAD, Rifle, etc.)

Firefly
03-30-2009, 09:08 AM

Thanks in advance.

Arjay

Head buffeting - you'll get this with just about any shield - so it's not unique to the CalSci. Do you have the Calsci XL shield?

I put a Laminar Lip on the top of my Calsci and the buffeting is pretty much gone. http://www.laminarlip.com/

flyjake
03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I recently put a set of risers on, and then the mediuim CalSci I had on was a bit too short; I had the same effect you were getting. However, since I was so pleased with the general flow of air around the CalSci, I ordered the next size up. It's only an inch-and one-half higher but I had an immediate improvement. Up to 85 mph, and no head vibration, buffeting, or discomfort at all. I am 5'7" and now very comfortable on my rides.

Donzo
03-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I had/have the Calsci XL andhad to take it off - to much buffeting and head wobble.....

DragonSpyder
03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
wind noise and buffeting were terrible on the Calsci. Change to the F1 slider and the noise and buffeting are gone.

Firefly
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
wind noise and buffeting were terrible on the Calsci. Change to the F1 slider and the noise and buffeting are gone.

And so are the looks - in my opinion - ;)

The Breeze
03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Ordered the 'large' windshield (I'm 5'10"). I experienced the same helmet buffeting you are describing. :dontknow:
CalSci was more than understanding and exchanged my windshield. :clap:
I was not even charged return freight.
No buffeting on the XL windshield. :2thumbs:

adohring
03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I contacted Mark at CalSci, he gave me some tests to do to see if the XL would stop the buffeting. I will give those a try and see what happens.

He was very helpful.