PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question?

GA_Spyderman
09-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Can anyone tell me what this is? I thought they were LED's, but I never see them come on.

Mark in GA

JP58
09-05-2016, 11:42 AM
There is no light in there. Only on the European models and maybe other places that required it. I read that on a post somewhere on the forum.

Jimboregon
09-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Can a light be installed there? The more lights the better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Chupaca
09-05-2016, 01:46 PM
How handy are you...? you could put in some led lights and wire them into the running lights so they would be on all the time ignition is on...:thumbup:

2dogs
09-05-2016, 02:20 PM
I saw what you're talking about several months here on SL's. Right now I don't know how to get back to it but someone else may. As I remember it was a part for European spyders and the part was a plug and play item. Good luck find it.

GA_Spyderman
09-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys. Guess it wasn't so dumb after all. I don't think most state laws would allow any additional white lights on the front. I've read somewhere that no more than 4 white lights are allowed. We have 2 headlights and 2 fog/driving lights on the RT's. Europe is probably different.

Mark in GA

Jimboregon
09-05-2016, 05:59 PM
I now have a mission!! I'll figure it out and get back to you!

oldguyinTX
09-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Not such a dumb question. I was stymied as to why the backup lights on RT622 trailer didn't work until I - DUH - realized they wer just clear lenses with no lights in them:opps::opps:.

Peter Aawen
09-06-2016, 02:13 AM
Here in Aus, I've asked about those little lens things down in the front of where your 'fog' light fittings go, & according to all the Dealers I've spoken to (which covers most of the Dealers actually in this country!) they don't & can't ever do anything on Aus spec Spyders (& I assume the same applies on European spec Spyders as we share most options like that!!) There's actually very little room behind that position & those Spyder Owners I know who, like me, have tried to work out how to put LED's in there generally agree with the 'it's not possible' answer, altho some have suggested it might possibly work, but only if you've can get a few leprechauns trained up & willing to work for you!! :shocked:

The similar small lenses up in the outside corners of the main lights DO have an optional LED insert available, even here in Aus, but I think you get those in North America anyway!! :thumbup:

Bogie
09-06-2016, 02:59 AM
Michigan law (and it may vary in other states) says no more than 4 headlights. But a headlight is defined as 300+ candlepower, so most LEDs are nowhere near that power. You should be able to have as many LEDs as you like. Just be careful of what color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
09-06-2016, 07:35 AM
I now have a mission!! I'll figure it out and get back to you!

Why not contact one of our members from England, and have them inquire about the pricing and availability of those light housings? :thumbup:

(Of course: you'll have to actually find a way to get a pair of them over here!)

Jimboregon
09-06-2016, 09:04 AM
I haven't looked close at mine yet. Is there a hole for the light, or will it need to be drilled out?

Bob Denman
09-06-2016, 10:13 AM
On the US and Canadian-Spec bikes: there are no holes, and the housings would require some "modificating"... :D

Jimboregon
09-06-2016, 12:11 PM
I have modificated before!

Jimboregon
09-06-2016, 12:27 PM
137085 Modificated Highway Pegs for my Honda ST 1300.

robmorg
09-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks guys. Guess it wasn't so dumb after all. I don't think most state laws would allow any additional white lights on the front. I've read somewhere that no more than 4 white lights are allowed. We have 2 headlights and 2 fog/driving lights on the RT's. Europe is probably different.

Mark in GA

I agree with Jimboregon - "The more lights the better". I've got eight white lights on the front of my RT... The headlights, the fog lights, the fender lights, and the TricLED high-density DRL bars on the upper A arm. ALL of them are on when I ride. My need NOT to be hit by some idiot turning left in front of me overrides state law. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-06-2016, 12:54 PM
:agree:

Jimboregon
09-06-2016, 04:09 PM
I agree with Jimboregon - "The more lights the better". I've got eight white lights on the front of my RT... The headlights, the fog lights, the fender lights, and the TricLED high-density DRL bars on the upper A arm. ALL of them are on when I ride. My need NOT to be hit by some idiot turning left in front of me overrides state law. [emoji106]
State Law? Is there a State Law regarding the number of lights on the front of your bike?

pitzerwm
09-07-2016, 12:23 AM
It has been stated here many times DOT says that for safety you can have more than 4 lights and that trumps state law. I've had 6 and 8 white always on and met many cops, never a second glance.

DGoebel
11-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Thank you Mark in GA for asking this question! I've only had my new to me '13 RTL for three weeks and those empty light spots in the lower fog light housings have been driving me :banghead:

I'll keep watching for someone to come out with a simple fix for the Lower Fog lights of fog light DRL's or whatever they'll be called.

gotta wonder why some engineer designed that spot and just plugged it with a mirror. I've shined a light into that spot and get a perfect reflection where I don't get that in the upper Fog light.