PDA

View Full Version : No riding for a while :(

finless
09-01-2016, 02:56 PM
Damn it!
I rolled my ankle on a gopher hole! I have rolled my ankle about 10 times in my life and just had a sprain.
Alas this time I broke the end of my tibia right at the ankle :(

Sheesh.... I have been bungee jumping, snow skied for 30+ years, surfed for years (younger years), and did all kinds of crazy stuff and never broke a bone in my body before. And a freakin gopher hole gets me!

I see the Bone Doc this Wednesday to find out what needs to be done. Hoping NO SURGERY!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=136844&d=1472759767

Pissed off Bob....

ARtraveler
09-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Ouch! Our thoughts and :pray::pray: go with you.

Sam Mac
09-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Hope you heal fast. That looks ugly. Of course it has to be the foot you need for the brakes. Maybe hand control? Anyway good luck.

oldguyinTX
09-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Damn man, that bites. I feel your pain, I suffered a spiral fracture of the Tibia, Fibula, Heel, and Ankle in 1978. I was not able to work for months, and had to sell my '76 Honda 750 Super Sport as I could not make the payments on it. One of the hardest things I ever did. Hope you don't need surgery & heal up soon. Maybe time for more farkels?

Pirate looks at --
09-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Sorry to hear that Bob! You know I think you can still operate the brake pedal with a boot on! Promise us this, if you do have surgery, make sure you film it so we can do the diy job on ourselves if we need too!:roflblack:

AY4B
09-01-2016, 03:36 PM
:yikes: Sorry to hear that Bob. My wife stepped in a hole a couple of years ago and also broke her ankle. It was a long recovery.

jerpinoy
09-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Golden years that we enjoy must be maintain with care. I dislocated my right elbow from going down on my porch stairs. My right foot slid on the last step and try to recover and used my right arm to braced my fall. My elbow bone was sicking out, immediately I pulled my arm out and I almost painted.:banghead::banghead: My wife put sling with her scarf and magazine under and pack with ice. I finally saw the emergency Doctor after 2 hour waiting,. No fractured after xray.

You all take care and enjoy our golden years with fun not pain God Bless us all.

bcer960
09-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Ouch, wow, take care of yourself.
I bet you will think up a whole lot of new ways to farkle while your on the mend......:rolleyes:

Bob Denman
09-01-2016, 05:06 PM
:shocked: I've seen a few of my own X-rays, that started out like that... :banghead:

Whatever happens: Listen to the Doctors, and do EXACTLY what you're told... nojoke
I hope that you heal quickly and completely; please keep us in the loop! (

Peteoz
09-01-2016, 05:09 PM
My elbow bone was sicking out, immediately I pulled my arm out and I almost painted.:banghead::banghead:

Gee jerpinoy, I have dislocated a few joints, but NEVER have I considered rushing off to do some painting. You must be a VERY committed handyman ;):)

Pete

PrairieSpyder
09-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Gee, Bob, that looks awful. My dad broke his tibia in the same place and was quite a while letting it heal, followed by physical therapy. I hope you get well soon.

PrairieSpyder
09-01-2016, 05:32 PM
. . . My elbow bone was sicking out, immediately I pulled my arm out and I almost painted.:banghead::banghead: . . . .

Gee jerpinoy, I have dislocated a few joints, but NEVER have I considered rushing off to do some painting. You must be a VERY committed handyman ;):)

Pete

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

SpyderAnn01
09-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Bob that really sucks. And to think you could have broken your left ankle and you'd still be able to ride. :banghead: My dogs love to dig holes in the yard and somehow they manage to make them invisible so every time I cut the grass I fear doing what you did.

Ron2andia
09-01-2016, 05:37 PM
Heal quick man... Sorry that happened.

cuznjohn
09-01-2016, 05:44 PM
good luck healing and feeling better, i broke, dislocated, and turned mt right ankle 180 degrees back in the 90's. it healed ok, but the discoloring like you have remained all these years.

robtdonna
09-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Unless he has changed recently his is a SM, like mine, so left ankle would be worse. Hand brake could be a solution if it's an extended recovery period.

Bob that really sucks. And to think you could have broken your left ankle and you'd still be able to ride. :banghead: My dogs love to dig holes in the yard and somehow they manage to make them invisible so every time I cut the grass I fear doing what you did.

robtdonna
09-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Quite a colorful 'wrap' you have there. :), best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.

jaherbst
09-01-2016, 07:23 PM
OOwee!

Jack

Chupaca
09-01-2016, 07:41 PM
That does look painful to say the least....☹Hope it is not as bad on the inside...:pray: heal well and give it the time it needs....

JerryB
09-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: Listen to the Doctors, and do EXACTLY what you're told...

Hmmmm, let me think about this.

1. Someone posted about shingles
2. People said to get to a doctor
3. The poster said he did not need to

:banghead:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Robert, you have a good 3-day weekend.

Jerry Baumchen

Lew L
09-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Heal fully and compleatly Bob,

Kaos

finless
09-02-2016, 09:00 AM
X-rays.
From what I read about this, surgery is not usually done if it is a stable break (which pretty sure mine is).
They have you wear an air cast or something like that. I hope this is true.

Thanks for all the well wishes :)

Bob

Pampurrs
09-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear this Bob. Hope you heal soon!

Pam

wyliec
09-02-2016, 09:11 AM
Heal quickly. What's your weight bearing status?

Since only bone shows in an X-ray, maybe your appt. Wednesday may tell you some good news concerning the ligaments.

Netminder
09-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Hope it heals up quickly! Positive thoughts your way.

CanAmMick
09-02-2016, 09:23 AM
That looks terrible! Good luck with your recovery.

wyliec
09-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Hi Bob,

Re: Listen to the Doctors, and do EXACTLY what you're told...

Hmmmm, let me think about this.

1. Someone posted about shingles
2. People said to get to a doctor
3. The poster said he did not need to

:banghead:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

Robert, you have a good 3-day weekend.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryB,

I completely forgot that duct tape and vitamin E is all that is needed for any injury. I believe that was in the thread you were referencing. That'll save him some money.

finless
09-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Heal quickly. What's your weight bearing status?

Since only bone shows in an X-ray, maybe your appt. Wednesday may tell you some good news concerning the ligaments.

I am 250 lbs. But I am also 6'4" so a big guy not really fat.

I know the ligaments are gone too. Not the first time I have rolled on this ankle. First time I did it I was about 18 and blew out the ligaments then. From that point the ligaments never grow back and "tight" thus you are more prone to rolling your ankle again. Been there done that so nothing new.

Next time I hike or camp no more tennis shoes. I have to start wearing boots to give me some ankle support. I should have to begin with but have not rolled my ankle in like 10 years. So lesson learned.

Bob

Border Rider
09-02-2016, 12:41 PM
:pray:
Damn it!
I rolled my ankle on a gopher hole! I have rolled my ankle about 10 times in my life and just had a sprain.
Alas this time I broke the end of my tibia right at the ankle :(

Sheesh.... I have been bungee jumping, snow skied for 30+ years, surfed for years (younger years), and did all kinds of crazy stuff and never broke a bone in my body before. And a freakin gopher hole gets me!

I see the Bone Doc this Wednesday to find out what needs to be done. Hoping NO SURGERY!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=136844&d=1472759767

Pissed off Bob....

JerryB
09-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: I have to start wearing boots to give me some ankle support.

About 25 yrs ago I rolled my ankle while playing volleyball, came down & off of another guy's foot.

I bought a fairly stiff fabric, lace-up ankle support that worked great. I used it for about two years, and it will cost less than a pair of boots.

Jerry Baumchen

finless
09-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: I have to start wearing boots to give me some ankle support.

About 25 yrs ago I rolled my ankle while playing volleyball, came down & off of another guy's foot.

I bought a fairly stiff fabric, lace-up ankle support that worked great. I used it for about two years, and it will cost less than a pair of boots.

Jerry Baumchen

Thanks, I will look into it.

Bob

wyliec
09-02-2016, 03:25 PM
I am 250 lbs. But I am also 6'4" so a big guy not really fat.

Sorry Bob, I wasn't implying you were fat. I mean the weight bearing status the dr. gave you that originally looked at the ankle, such as WBAT (weight bearing as tolerated) TTWB (toe touch weight bearing), etc. The ortho dr. will let you know once he/she sees you, and determines the damage. Good luck.

Highwayman2013
09-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Heal quickly Bob.

Border Rider
09-02-2016, 04:07 PM
A few years back i wrecked my ankle sliding with my kids. Five screws on one side, 7 on the other, lots of stitches. PT for
weeks after 2 operations. NOW if it don"t have a motor on it I won't ride it.

JerryB
09-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Hi Bob,

Re: Thanks, I will look into it.

Since I'm waiting for some paint to dry ( really ), here you go:

This one is very much like the one I had: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11584720

And more choices: https://www.betterbraces.com/procare-lace-up-ankle-brace?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=Ankle&utm_content=procare-lace-up-ankle-brace&utm_term=79-8131X&popup=n&bacode=FS14p&gclid=CIa3_-je8c4CFcVcfgod07IAow

Jerry Baumchen

cptjam
09-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Heal up! Stay off of it, don't rush.

gkamer
09-03-2016, 12:02 AM
That looks nasty. Hope all you need is a cast at most.