PDA

View Full Version : radio frequencies 2014 rt limited

wmh9680
08-31-2016, 06:18 AM
Good Morning, I've been trying to get 87.7 FM on my radio and it will not get it. Someone just told me that some radios will not get FM frequencies below 88.1. Does anyone know the range of my radio. Thanks, Mike

Snowbelt Spyder
08-31-2016, 06:49 AM
Good Morning, I've been trying to get 87.7 FM on my radio and it will not get it. Someone just told me that some radios will not get FM frequencies below 88.1. Does anyone know the range of my radio. Thanks, Mike

"Someone" is correct. In this country, the FM band starts at 87.9. Full power stations start at 88.1. 87.7 appears to be an audio band of TV channel 6. Maybe this will help.....

http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2015/03/02/can-your-radio-receiver-access-87-7-fm/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcast_band

Bob Denman
08-31-2016, 06:54 AM
:shocked: You learn something new every day... That was a good question! :clap:

Mr. White
08-31-2016, 08:44 AM
Good answer. I never gave it much thought as I only listen to one or two stations unless riding far away from the local area. And now I know.

:spyder2:

wmh9680
08-31-2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks, I had already stumbled across radio survivor. Why would any use a freq outside of the standard and why would the gov let them do it. 87.7 is a great oldies station in affiliation with the oldies tv station METV. I guess I could get an Ipod or similar device that pics it up and plug it in. I don't know much about audio stuff (my hearing is pretty bad anyway--I wear hearing aids). What exactly are the 3 audio inputs for on the bike (pass grip--trunk--by the key)? Thanks alot, Mike

billybovine
08-31-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks, I had already stumbled across radio survivor. Why would any use a freq outside of the standard and why would the gov let them do it. 87.7 is a great oldies station in affiliation with the oldies tv station METV. I guess I could get an Ipod or similar device that pics it up and plug it in. I don't know much about audio stuff (my hearing is pretty bad anyway--I wear hearing aids). What exactly are the 3 audio inputs for on the bike (pass grip--trunk--by the key)? Thanks alot, Mike

The connector by the passenger grip and in the center of the driver switch panel are outputs from the radio to plug wired helmets for audio. The plug in the trunk is an input to the radio for an ipod or mp3 player.

Snowbelt Spyder
08-31-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks, I had already stumbled across radio survivor. Why would any use a freq outside of the standard and why would the gov let them do it.

Well, I think the "why" answer is that it's a loop hole in the reg. Technically, they're licensed as a low power TV station, the audio is not outside the TV band, and they can sell advertising. The whole deal was supposed to end in September last year, anyway, but the FCC has delayed that. With a transmitter power of only 3kw, I'm not sure you'll get adequate range to make trying to pick it up on the bike worth the effort.

I wonder if the radio module installed in Spyders going to Australia have the full Australian band...87.5 to 108. Wonder if one would work in a North American Spyder. Or, there's always this if you have an Android phone.....

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/04/16/400178385/the-hidden-fm-radio-inside-your-pocket-and-why-you-cant-use-it

Trivial Pursuit on a rainy day.

wmh9680
08-31-2016, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info on the inputs. Someday I will utilize them. Not sure how or for what but that's just another thing on my very full plate. That's why I don't like getting too many new toys. It brings up to many new ideas/?s for me to google. My wife says it's my addiction and shes probable correct. Thanks again, Mike

billybovine
08-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Well, I think the "why" answer is that it's a loop hole in the reg. Technically, they're licensed as a low power TV station, the audio is not outside the TV band, and they can sell advertising. The whole deal was supposed to end in September last year, anyway, but the FCC has delayed that. With a transmitter power of only 3kw, I'm not sure you'll get adequate range to make trying to pick it up on the bike worth the effort.

I wonder if the radio module installed in Spyders going to Australia have the full Australian band...87.5 to 108. Wonder if one would work in a North American Spyder. Or, there's always this if you have an Android phone.....

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/04/16/400178385/the-hidden-fm-radio-inside-your-pocket-and-why-you-cant-use-it

Trivial Pursuit on a rainy day.

As far as I know all the radios are the same no matter where in the world the Spyder is made for. Just the region setting changes. That is user changeable. So that could be tried for the heck of it and see what happens.

wmh9680
08-31-2016, 01:47 PM
how would you change the region setting? Thanks, Mike

ARtraveler
08-31-2016, 02:52 PM
I learned something new today. :bowdown:

Snowbelt Spyder
09-01-2016, 06:07 AM
how would you change the region setting? Thanks, Mike

They're right there in your audio settings screen. Go to where you set your bass, treble, fader, etc, and look for Region. The countries that correspond to each region are listed in your owners manual.

I learned something new today. :bowdown:

Me too. Bonded with Google.

wmh9680
09-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks, Mike

wmh9680
09-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Well I have the operators manual but I don't think I have the owners manual. Is there a diff? I don't see anything in there about regions. I was foolin around with the regions today and now I d/n get any fm stations. The ams work but show diff freq. What are the diff regions and what show ours be? I thought ours was c but when I put it back to c I still d/n get fm--in fact I don't get fm in and region now. I guess I shoulda left it alone. Any ideas how to get it back where it was. When you are changing regions do you just change it up or down and get out of it or do you need to save it somehow? I had thought maybe a diff region would give me a diff freq range. Who makes the radio/can I contact them? Thanks, Mike

billybovine
09-05-2016, 10:43 PM
See page 35 and 36 in your operator's guide. North America is region A. The FM frequencies are in the last column.

wmh9680
09-06-2016, 05:56 AM
Thanks, I was looking in the audio section, my fault. I will try again, but it seemed that I just had to keep playing with it to get am back and fm never came back. Can we use a different region to get a wider freq range or not? Sure with I could get automatic email responses back, it's a pain to have to keep checking the forum to see if I got any responses. It does not email me no matter what computer I am on. Thanks again, Mike

wmh9680
09-14-2016, 07:05 AM
Good Morning, Well I tried every freq and none would get 87.7. I reset it to A and everything else is fine. I discovered that when you change freq you have to shut the bike down and restart for the changed to take affect. Guess I'm back trying an IPOD. Gotta make sure it will get 87.7. Thanks, Mike

Peter Aawen
09-14-2016, 07:45 AM
It doesn't look like Region A (North America & South Africa) gets as low as 87.7... It seems 87.9 is as low as you can go. :sour:

wmh9680
09-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Yep, and it is a great oldies station. Thanks, Mike

south GA Farm Boy
04-02-2017, 05:30 PM
On the 2016 RT Limited, I go to the radio setting and I can't change the off to on so that my radio volume goes up and down with my speed. How do I and which button will turn it to read on?

samewok
04-02-2017, 05:46 PM
On the 2016 RT Limited, I go to the radio setting and I can't change the off to on so that my radio volume goes up and down with my speed. How do I and which button will turn it to read on?did you use the right arrow to move it over to audio volume? then go to on or off? then set it to low,med or high.

south GA Farm Boy
04-03-2017, 10:48 AM
did you use the right arrow to move it over to audio volume? then go to on or off? then set it to low,med or high.

Yes, but the off sign stays up and I can find which button to change it to on! I'm in the radio control setting and have adjusted everything else, but when i move all the way to the right to set the volume where it will go up and down with my trike speed, I can find in the book or nowhere how to change the off to on!
Thanks for any help!

billybovine
04-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Press and release the mode button until you get to the preferences screen.
Press and release the up or down button until you get to audio.
Press and release the right button.
Press and release the down button until you get to auto volume control.
Choose the auto volume control level you wish.

south GA Farm Boy
04-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Did all the above, but can't change the off to on on the control level! My audio screen : off
low
med
high
How do I get off to on? what button or what do I do next? I put screen on off, now what do I do?

south GA Farm Boy
04-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Did all the above, but can't change the off to on on the control level! My audio screen : off
low
med
high
How do I get off to on? what button or what do I do next? I put screen on off, now what do I do?

Thanks guys for your help! I finally figured it out with your help! Off stays on the screen and you highlite low, med, or high and it sets your auto adjusting as you speed up or slow down!
Thanks again for your answers and help!

south GA Farm Boy
04-03-2017, 06:27 PM

Thanks,
I finally got what you were telling me. The off stays up there, and you just move to low, mede, or high!