PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with loose rattling mirrors on RT

agedbikeman
08-31-2016, 03:21 AM
I'm fed up with my rattling mirrors on my RT, every bump I go over I can hear them not to mention the altered vision as they move, the "stupid" clips do nothing to hold them tight. Also if a dishonist spyder owner needs a mirror, he only has to find a bike parked in a quiet street and in a few seconds he has a mirror for nothing.:yikes::banghead:
It only takes one screw to fix this.:ohyea:

Remove mirror and top panel and select place to drill 2mm hole in mirror cut out, hold mirror in place where it fits in cutout and drill using first hole as pilot for second hole, drill holes as far away from the edge as possible, increase hole in mirror to 4mm and hole in panel to 3mm, re assemble all and use 4mm pan head self tapping screw to secure mirror to panel. Hey presto mirror is now tight and thief proof, on fitting the screw, you may need to poke a piece of wire through th hole to determine the angle of the holes as the alignement was not acurate
:yes::yes::clap:

136776 136777 136778 the second screw to the right was a previous fix when an internal clip broke off.
Was this mirror designed by the Janitor in his lunch break?:coffee:

Bob Denman
08-31-2016, 06:47 AM
:clap: "Necessity is the Mother of Invention." :congrats: on finding a fix that works for you! :thumbup:
Although I've found that if you keep the wire clips nice and straight: there's no rattling at all.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
08-31-2016, 07:04 AM
i just used a little GE silicone 2 clear & stopped all rattling last year

Machinegunner
08-31-2016, 10:44 AM
Bob, mothers are an invention of necessity.

Bob Denman
08-31-2016, 10:53 AM
:D Amen to THAT!! :2thumbs:

Chupaca
08-31-2016, 02:08 PM
I beleive BLUEKNIGHT911 had posted this similar repair to the problem of those mirrors. Double function in that it cuts the loose fit and movement and secures it to the spyder ...:2thumbs: congrats it is a great reminder and they will get looser and looser with time....

pegasus1300
08-31-2016, 03:01 PM
"Was this mirror designed by the Janitor in his lunch break?:coffee:"

It was probably designed by a highly paid engineer with an eye towards ease of assembly line attachment and no thought to future maintenance.

stillriding
08-31-2016, 04:05 PM
"Was this mirror designed by the Janitor in his lunch break?:coffee:"

It was probably designed by a highly paid engineer with an eye towards ease of assembly line attachment and no thought to future maintenance.​The same guy who's responsible for the placement of the rear tire valve.

Bob Denman
08-31-2016, 05:11 PM
:agree: Roger has named him "Jean-Luc". :D

This picture was taken while he was discussing how the purchasers of Spyders might feel about some of his designs...

agedbikeman
09-02-2016, 10:27 AM
​The same guy who's responsible for the placement of the rear tire valve.

I got one up on him:yes:, I fitted a screw on right angle extension, my Suzuki Burgman has one fitted as standard by Suzuki, what was their excuse.

QUOTE, there no one more stupid than a technical designer!!!!

As I've said before, a lot of things on the Spyder are designed to give the owner a problem.