PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota 1st service

Drypowder
08-28-2016, 11:05 PM
Hello all. I'm in Spearfish South Dakota, in the middle of a trip and its service time. Which dealer for first service, Rice in Rapid City or Outdoor in Spearfish.

jcthorne
08-29-2016, 07:38 AM
Hello all. I'm in Spearfish South Dakota, in the middle of a trip and its service time. Which dealer for first service, Rice in Rapid City or Outdoor in Spearfish.

Outdoor Powersports in Spearfish SD was the sponsoring dealer at the Deadwood Rally. Friends of ours ended up purchasing 2 new Spyders from them while we were there. The service department folks we dealt with seemed very friendly, competent and handled the new accessory installs and new vehicle set up correctly. I would have no trouble taking my own bike there for service if in need while on a trip. Nice folks.

If you do go there, please come back and report how it goes for others to learn from.

JkRbbt
08-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Yes, if you do use the Spearfish dealer, please return and tell us your experience! It would be appreciated! :thumbup:

GOZFST
08-29-2016, 11:45 AM
I deal with Rice Honda and have nothing but good service from them.

PW2013STL
08-29-2016, 12:52 PM
I deal with Rice Honda and have nothing but good service from them.

Just don't have them do a laser alignment as they don't do them correctly- as witnessed at the 3wheel rally.

GOZFST
08-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Just don't have them do a laser alignment as they don't do them correctly- as witnessed at the 3wheel rally.
Wasn't aware of that. What was the problem? My friend had her 2015 RT done there and was delighted with the results.I'd have Squared Away do it again when I get back to AZ.

PW2013STL
08-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Wasn't aware of that. What was the problem? My friend had her 2015 RT done there and was delighted with the results.I'd have Squared Away do it again when I get back to AZ.

To do an alingment correctly (like Ann and Joe) you need to be sure that the rear tire is first tracking true since the laser alignment is based off the rear tire . Rice was not even looking at the rear tire and belt so if that was off the whole alingment would be off.
Lucky for one owner that Ann and Joe were at the rally to have fun, as they were able to fix that Spyder after Rice got done making it worst.

I am glad your friends turned out well as his rear tire must have been tracking true.

You are wise to have yours Squared Away. They did mine and it's fun to watch them work as they have it down to an art form :clap:

jcthorne
08-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Oh dear. Why can't they just do it the way True Laser prescribes? It really does not take that long to just do it right. Without reference to the rear wheel, they are just setting toe, without regard to skew. No way to know if the front and rear are going in the same direction and correct the steering sensor and DPS to match. Hint: If you don't reference to the rear wheel, they are most likely NOT going in the same direction.

I too have had to correct bikes that have been done by dealers that cut corners. Sad. Especially to be so bold as to do it out in the open with folks that KNOW how its done watching. Did they really think no one would notice?

Drypowder
08-29-2016, 09:51 PM
Outdoor couldnt do it until tomorrow so I went to Rice. They were booked too but said if I leave it they will fit me in. I got there around 10 and they didnt pull it in until 1:45. They charged me 303.00 for the first service. Spyder was good except for the belt being too loose. I had an opportunity to chat with the owner right before I cashed out. I am pleased with the fact that they squeezed me in with no appointment on a day with only one service guy working on the machines. In my book thats great service and they could have just turned me away.

gkamer
08-30-2016, 07:51 AM
Oh dear. Why can't they just do it the way True Laser prescribes? It really does not take that long to just do it right.

Like the old saying "There's never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over."