PDA

View Full Version : Oil Dip stick 2014 RT

Spyder 10
08-28-2016, 08:36 PM
I have a question regarding the dipstick. I have a 2014 RT and was checking the dip stick. I have 2 black dots on the lower end of the dipstick and then I have a min and max level higher up on the dipstick. What is the proper level? Is it within the 2 black dots or between the min max on the dipstick. I looked at the manual and it shows a picture of the dipstick however on the picture it does not show the 2 dots and just says upper mark and lower mark and operating range. Can someone help me understand the two different views?

beefybudds
08-28-2016, 08:52 PM
I keep mine just a tad above the min mark when the engine is cold.
When the engine warms up then itbis at the full mark.

Spyder 10
08-28-2016, 08:58 PM
So the two black dots at the lower end of the dipstick really doesn't mean anything except to see oil on the dipstick? Correct.

2dogs
08-29-2016, 12:26 AM
1330 takes 5 qts. and no more. That should put your oil level between the two dots. Check your oil at the end of your ride. Don't shut the engine off right away, let it idle for a minute then shut it down and check the oil. 1330's are not known for consuming oil. I ran mine on Amsoil for 9k and never used a drop........well only what I wiped off the dip stick.

Bob Denman
08-29-2016, 06:39 AM

Spyder 10
08-29-2016, 09:32 AM
This is the dipstick that the manual is showing and it only has the two black dots.

This is the actual dipstick that is in my bike. The upper level of the dipstick say min and max, however the lower level of the dipstick has two black dots. Am I to keep the oil level between the min and max level when the bike is warm? The book is not clear when you have two different pictures and it does not reference the upper level of the actual dip stick.

Bob Denman
08-29-2016, 09:47 AM
:D When is the last time you bought something, that didn't come with this caveat?
"Specifications are subject to change without prior notification."

I'll bet that it's been a while...

But I do understand your confusion... :thumbup:

Spyder 10
08-30-2016, 07:41 AM
Am I the only one who has this type of dip stick on a 2014 RT? I am not getting many responses to my dilemma.

Bob Denman
08-30-2016, 07:44 AM
I've got the same one as you, and it seemed to be easy enough to live with... :dontknow:

But with my simple mind: it's pretty tough to over-think these things! :D

Mr. White
08-30-2016, 10:15 AM
With you engine hot, let it idle 30 seconds then shut it off and check the oil level. It should be between the min. max....ignore the black spots.....my stick does not have black spots....just min/max. As said by others, I use little oil between changes. I change it every 10K whether it needs it or not.....I change my batteries every three years, whether they need it or not. Why you ask.....because I have little interest in a dead battery in far west Texas with no cell service in many areas and it also get a little warm in the summer months....and a ranch house every ten miles.....

NOTE: If you agree with me, please comment. If you don't agree with me, please don't comment......

:joke: :spyder2:

beefybudds
08-31-2016, 07:03 AM
This is the dipstick that the manual is showing and it only has the two black dots.

This is the actual dipstick that is in my bike. The upper level of the dipstick say min and max, however the lower level of the dipstick has two black dots. Am I to keep the oil level between the min and max level when the bike is warm? The book is not clear when you have two different pictures and it does not reference the upper level of the actual dip stick.
I also have the same dipstick as you do. The black dots do not mean anything in my opinion.