PDA

View Full Version : Attention Women Riders!

2faston3
03-27-2009, 11:29 PM
:2excited:I am 2faston3's wife and I am buying a new Spyder. I'm looking for some tips from all you lady riders. Are there any add ons you consider essential? What would you get if you could have anything you wanted?

3nfree

:chat:

babyanlee
03-28-2009, 04:49 AM
:congrats: I'd get risers, better seat, saddle bags (great for shopping),hindle, taller windshield. And last I would get the black rims I saw on :spyder: Demo. ( proto type).. Then just ryde :doorag::spyder:

NancysToy
03-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Nancy wanted very little. She is short and needed the BRP riser. She may add the NMN risers after her knee is replaced. She also demanded extra rear lighting for visibility. I added HyperLites before the NMN products were available, and a No Magic taillight since then, but the Triple Play and Mudflap Lights are good choices too. Now that I added a bigger windshield for colder weather, I doubt she'll ever let me take it off. Beyond that it it was more an individual choice thing, rather than needs...comm system for tunes, trunk lid popper, emergency trunk release, power outlets and wiring for heated gear. You will form your opinions fairly quickly. It may be good to ride the Spyder as-is first.
-Scotty

Don in E Texas
03-28-2009, 09:33 AM
I'd go for the taller windshield for comfort, and anything that would make the Spyder more visible for safety. Highway pegs would be good for longer distances, so you could change position on the seat. Enjoy!

Don's wife :f_spider:

Robin
03-28-2009, 09:51 AM
I just got my new spyder:spyder2:last Saturday, I just love it but I did go ahead and order the 4" risers and the taller windshield to start off with. Now there are alot more add-ons that I do want to add but right now I am just going to ride and enjoy.

orangespydiegirl
03-28-2009, 09:58 AM
I added the 4" risers from NMN and a taller windshield for comfort and that's all I needed. The triple play and fender tipz were just because I wanted them although they do add visibility at night. Enjoy your ride I sure have.:2thumbs::clap:

jodeg1945
03-28-2009, 10:09 AM
I got the taller windshield immediately -- made a HUGE difference in comfort!

Also, the 4" NMN risers were essential for me -- short person (5'4") and probably short arms! I sit just about upright now and I'm not leaning on my spindly wrists -- much more comfortable!

My husband added extra lights in front, extra taillights, a brakelight flasher, and a garage door opener. After I got the NMN risers, all I could see in my mirrors was my gloved hands, so my husband designed, fabricated and installed WONDERFUL mirror extensions, which have worked out perfectly. He also recently made a bracket which moves the pedal for the parking break out a couple of inches -- now I can FIND it!

Plus, 2 days ago, we received and installed my new CORBIN seat -- Yipee! The stock seat was extremely uncomfortable for me -- high in the middle and no support on the edges (where all my "personal padding" is). It's been cold and rainy here, so haven't had a chance to try out the new seat yet, but just sitting on it tells me it's going to be GREAT!

On my wish list now is possibly getting a Corbin backrest, which my husband will also have to modify! Thank goodness Handy Husband!

We've done all this and I've only had my Spyder since the end of October, which is the end of our riding season!

Congrats on your new ride!

LaughingHeart
03-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I added pull back bars from Kewlmetal so I can sit upright. That made a big difference in comfort. I also added a Russell seat and it is much more comfortable than the stock. We added NMN's Triple Play and mudflaps to get more lighting on the back. Adding the CHAD windshield has cut down on wind noise and turbulance a lot. I also have a back truck and side bags - we like to camp and I can help carry more now. Best of all is the bike itself - it is a blast. ENJOY!!

pitmon
03-28-2009, 11:52 AM
The taller windshield was a MUST for me and was my first mod. Since then I have added the NMN 3" risers to my brp 1" riser. I also installed a Throttlemeister for those long rides and corbin soft saddlebags for the longer trips which I can remove when not in use. I added the sport rack and rear bag for added storage as well. I recently purchased the Scala Q2 to have communication with hubby on his bike and also to enjoy the FM radio that comes with it. It will also let me screen phone calls and later when I get the zumo it will integrate with that also. I also plan to install highway pegs for those long rides for more comfort. There are other things that I want but those are just fun mods and will have to wait a bit..:thumbup:

ataDude
03-28-2009, 12:30 PM
welcome
ataDude in Allen, TX

I just got my new spyder:spyder2:last Saturday, I just love it but I did go ahead and order the 4" risers and the taller windshield to start off with. Now there are alot more add-ons that I do want to add but right now I am just going to ride and enjoy.

dltang
03-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Mrs. 2faston3, first of all welcome to our world. You are going to love the spyder. There seems to be a general consensus here and I will add one more testimony to it. I have the 3" NMN risers, I already had the BRP 1" before they were available. This has got to be my number one mod so far, and I have many. You can check out my mods in the My Mods forum on this site. I love my NMN HID lights, fender tips, Triple Play, Center tail light and next up, (hopefully before summer) Mud flap lights. Lighting is very important to visibility. I had to have a taller windshield as we do some long trips and it was just too tiring getting hit in the chest all day with the stock shield. I have the F1 EVO III and really like it but have considered the F1 slider that my husband has and he really likes it. The reason I am thinking of going that way is because my new seat sits me up a little higher. I love the Russell Day Long site, we do a lot of distance riding and with the stock seat my tailbone was just getting a little sore. The other thing that I absolutely love is a highway floorboard for alternating my position on the long rides, that in conjunction with my Throttlemeister and my BikersFriend seat bag with back rest make for some great cruising. Now I currently have the Cortech soft saddlebags that I truly love because I can take them off and on as needed and they do not take away from the bike. But, I just bought a Bushtec RoadStar trailer to pull behind my spyder. Got the hitch during the Gatlinburg trip last year and just waiting for the cash to get my trailer. It is a used trailer but it is in excellent condition with all the bells and whistles. I will have to get it painted to match my spyder but that should not be an issue. Wow, there is just so much. Oh yeah, a very cheap and easy mod that is a must. Add a spring to your trunk latch so you can open with one hand after it stops popping open on it's own. Enjoy and make it yours, that is the number one thing.

Sara
03-28-2009, 03:21 PM
------------I think much of what people decide to do follows their buying and riding the Spyder. I don't know how it is for most people, but for me at 6', I found that the seating arrangement, distance from the normal seating posture to the handlebars was too cramped and close----I continually want to slide back to get more room. Also my legs were/are too bent under me to be comfortable----so----to compensate, I have added the 4" risers for the handlebars; built footrests which are forward of the the rider foot pegs; bought the Corbin seat (corrected it by 2 inches taking out some foam and fiberglass); and now am getting the kewl metal mounts for some forward foot pegs----all of this has helped some, but I'm still a bit cramped forward. What I'd like is a cruiser-like setup. My friend who has the clutch machine is about 5'6", and she fits the original configuration perfectly----so I believe that a persons height and shape can determine how comfortable they are when they ride the Spyder. Beyond this, I love this confounded thing----It's safer than any motorcycle I've ever had---with my SE5 there is no "feet down--feet up" motions going continually---cars think I'm one of them, somewhat peculiar, but one of them---I can pack stuff for a trip without bunjies---I have added a set of saddlebags with tail lights to make myself more visible---so---get one---you'll like it----SSSS

dragonheart
03-28-2009, 06:38 PM
I love my Corbin heated seat and wiring was added for my Gerbing heated clothing - definite musts for me. Next important feature is my Slider windshield from Marcel (I can slide the shield up or down on the fly). Made a HUGE difference for me! I am 5'1" and a little under 100 pounds, and now I don't feel like I am going to be blown off the bike at highway speeds. We added the Corbin saddlebags and Smuggler and I can easily carry a week's worth of groceries. Just added Kewlmetal 7" risers with 1" BRP riser and Kewlmetal mirror extensions. Not so important but VERY nice is my MC Cruise Control out of Australia. Zumo 550 GPS also added -- non-essential but very convenient tool.

HAPPY RYDING!

Trickie Dick
03-28-2009, 08:56 PM
:congrats:welcome You will love it and you can already see the great people we have on this forum. Ride safe.:thumbup:

bjt
03-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Welcome to SpyderLovers Mrs. 2faston3 and Robin. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/hi-103.gif

bone crusher
03-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Chauvinists! I feel so left out...kinda funny reading about woman talking about saddlebags...it's always something with women....

Couldn't resist...sorry...
:chat:
:D

GI Jane
03-29-2009, 04:30 AM
welcome 4" risers and bigger windshield an absolute must. Corbin seat for comfort; I also got the backrest. Corbin hardbags for holding all the "stuff" that won't fit in the trunk. I also got the ISO grips for a more comfortable ride and the NMN Triple for safety. Next up are highway pegs for long rides. Enjoy your Spyder and welcome to a whole new world.

Roaddog2
03-29-2009, 07:44 AM
welcome Just don't start a :spyder:shopping club :ani29:

dltang
03-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Roaddog,
1. First of all that is a chauvinist remark:D
2. That is one of the many duties of a good husband, to allow wife to have stuff
3. I am so glad you thought of it. Will have to get working on our club emblem right away
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-131.gif

bjt
03-29-2009, 08:51 AM
welcome Just don't start a :spyder:shopping club :ani29:

Roaddog,
1. First of all that is a chauvinist remark:D
2. That is one of the many duties of a good husband, to allow wife to have stuff
3. I am so glad you thought of it. Will have to get working on our club emblem right away
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-131.gif

I would back you Roaddog but she controls half the purse strings in the house (and probably claims to wear the pants in the family :D). :opps: You are on your own bro.... :D

SpyderByter
03-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Road Dog,

You are treading on dangerous territory there messing with the female Spyders. Remember, the Black Widow kills and eats her mate after she has no more use for him. Don't get them all riled up.

Roaddog2
03-29-2009, 10:28 AM
I would back you Roaddog but she controls half the purse strings in the house (and probably claims to wear the pants in the family :D). :opps: You are on your own bro.... :DRest assured I meant it in a good way congrats on the trailer score it could of had polka dots on it for that price :ani29:

redspyderlady
03-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Risers and taller windshield were a must for me.